sansui 8080 protection---of course

Carbon's catch fire. Metal film's give a puff of stinky smoke and they're done.

Damn. The very first reply to my very first post (which was about replacing the fusible resistors with metal film on that driver board) recommended not to use them over carbon unless I knew what I was doing, which of course I didn't. Should I change the new carbon ones to metal film? Should I expect my driver board to go up in flames anytime soon?

Jon,
If the carbon's are flat on the board AND your unit fails… The carbons WILL make a mess. The metal films will just flash quickly and make a LOT LESS of a mess.

Yeah, I'd never use a carbon comp or film to replace a fuseable resistor. Another fuseable, or a metal film is appropriate.

I found the 390ohm and 4.7ohm in metal film from mouser. Searched all over and couldn't find those in fusible. The others I found fusible from digikey, just letting people know where to look.

The idea behind the fuseable resistors is twofold:
1. To prevent a fire (easily circumvented with a metal film resistor).
2. To protect components in the event of a catastrophic failure. Rarely does the addition of a fuseable resistor really help, since it takes a fusable resistor a few seconds to open up, but takes a semiconductor a few milliseconds to destroy itself when things go very wrong.

Well I replaced the bad resistors and caps on driver board and the 8080 has been working for a few days now. Time to order and replace all caps now.

Just wanted to say big thanks to you guys, as i just brought a dead 8080 back to life by exchanging all the fusable resistors on the driver board according to this thread. Nearly half of them were off spec, now it's playing like charm again!

Best regards,
Michael

Back
Top Bottom