Newbie with 9090db and volume issue

thirdage2009

Hi Folks, I've finally found a CL 9090db locally (was looking for either that or a G8000 thanks to this list). Looks to be in very good condition with a couple of scratches on the top and a broken ball AM anntenna. It does have one issue of note that I could use some advice on. That is: When the volume knob is above the 9 o'clock position, everything is fine. But when I turn the volume down, the right channel fades out. There is no static or cutting in or out on the volume knob or any of the other knobs other than what I just described. The owner said he had a friend that said it might be a resistor not going to ground on the volume control board (dunno what that means)? I don't intend to do the work myself, but wanted to see if someone can point me in the right direction when I bring it into the shop. BTW, I'm in Sacramento, CA and was thinking of bringing it to the Luis at the Stereo Advisor which seems to be the only local shop of note? Anyone have any recommendations otherwise? Thanks in advance for any help. Looking forward to a great relationship with my Sansui. Thanks much.

I would attempt to clean the pot for grins anyway. With the 1000 posts here on the procedure pretty much anyone with a screw driver can do It. Just take your time. Its pretty easy. Don't flood It out. You can sneak the deoxit nozzel In from the bottom (bottom cover off) of the unit. Do your homework. Fever

Try rotating the "Dolby" and "Selector" switches on the right side several times. Exercise the volume control with the sound "off" also. Did that make any difference?

All switches and buttons should get worked from time to time as a general rule. This may only be a temporary fix as your unit is 40 yrs old and will likely need the Deoxit bath for the oxidation that has accumulated.

IMO, your unit is a highly praised, collectable piece. I have one and think highly of it. It is worth spending some money on it to get it right.

Okay. Deoxitted the switches. No impact to the volume slowly cutting out on right channel as volume knob decreased past 9 o'clock. Any other suggestions by chance?. And is there a list of recommended repair folks? I'm in Sacramento, CA.
Thanks!

Don't jump to the Dolby pass throughs. It's usually elsewhere. Exercise all the switches and pots including all the push button switches. Pay special attention to any that change the symptoms. They all have to be cleaned.

- Pete

Thanks for all the input. I just got the 9090db back from service and the following was done: "Replace volume control assembly, replaced 6 capacitors on preamplifier circuit, replaced lights and cleaned all switches and controls."

Its sounds great. I hooked it up to a pair of Klipsch RF3s I just got and I'm very impressed. I need to replace the RCA cables I'm using for jumpers and found these. What do you think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/221522428748?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2650&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks again.. .

Back
Top Bottom