AU-7900 vs AU-11000A?

Sriskie

I have a self restored AU-7900 driving a pair of Kef 104/2's that I'm very pleased with. That said, I find myself lusting after a 9900/1100/20000. Any of these would likely take a substantial financial commitment so I'd like to hear some opinions on the matter before dropping the big bucks. More power doesn't seem necessary but I'm sure it can't hurt. The 7900 will not be sold to subsidize the upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Sriskie,

Based on my experience comparing AU 7900 and AU 9900,there is some difference in term of power. There is increase in bass and the soundstage is also wider in AU 9900.I notice this with a non recapped AU 9900. The sound signature is very similar.

Thanks for that rasenthiran.

The increased bass wasn't expected. Does that mean that your 9900 had more bass even without a loudness control? I've pretty much weaned myself from messing with the tone controls but I do use ithe 7900 with the high/low loudness on. Did you compare them with everything set flat on both amps or was the bass stronger than the 7900 regardless?

Probably not the right phrasing but are the models in the 9900 and up series considered "punchy"?

Hi Sriskie,

I compare with all tone control's in defeat. I didn't adjust the treble n bass in the AU 9900. But again this is non recapped unit,so cant tell much but there few owners in AK has both this unit. The AU 9900 is my friends unit and I only listen around 45 min. But I do feel my AU 7900 is better because I am not interested in heavy bass kind of guy. Since the AU 9900 is a non recapped unit,i can't confirm about the sound quality cos may be the amplifier is faulty n producing heavy bass.

I have a 9900 and the 20K…. and they are GREAT.. but a lot of people do not like the taper of the volume control on the AU 9900.
A Sansui Au 717 might also do the trick for you… Which I like a LITTLE better than
the AU 9900 for sheer clarity of sonics….

BUT if you really want to go for it ( and have the space & $ )

if your in this range… consider the CA-2K and an BA-2K
OR
Ca-3K and BA 3K or 5K

I would love to get the separates but that would be a little too pricey for my comfort zone. I'd like to swing it for about $1000 restored. I'd likely enlist a pro for this one.

Seriously, I think it's possible to find a CA-2K, BA-2K combo for a grand, and they should be in good shape for that price. There's a very nice pair for sale in Vancouver on CL, with an asking of $1500 Canadian, and perhaps the guy will swallow a reasonable offer. I've heard and seen them, and they are quite nice. The seller states that the BA-2K has just been serviced.

With respect for Vigman, I haven't seen any BA-5Ks that I'd want to take home for your budget, but if you're willing to put a bit more on the table, they sure are nice to listen to.

I have an AU-20K, not for sale, but I do like the sound of it, quite authoritative, and certainly ample power for your KEFs.

The AU-20K is very high on my lust...er list. The trick is they seem very hard to come by in nice condition affordably. Last year there was one listed about 3 hours away for $1200 (IIRC) that was missing a knob or two, a little beat up, and not working. It sold fairly quick.

I do have some receivers, G-8000, 9700, and 7700 which might do the trick but I'm wanting to keep this particular setup within the confines of my home theatre stand and an integrated amp would fit best. I may be able to squeeze some BA/CA goodness in there but a receiver would need to go on top.

How does the BA/CA-2K compare with an AU-9900 sonically? A major improvement over the AU-7900? Can all of the Sansuis of this ilk handle the 4 ohm load the Kefs demand? My 7900 stays nice and cool, even in the enclosed space.

I love my AU7900! Mine has been heavily modified by Paul Hovenga several years ago, before he started his company. He changed caps, transistors, etc. so it could not be compared with the stock units. He but the best of his skills into it. It, and an TU7900 are the mains in my living room. My listening room has an ADDCOM 555ii. The AU7900 can hold its own against anything I have compared it to. I ran all the big Sansui receivers against it and kept it over anything else. Pioneers and Kenwoods and Marantz have come and gone, but the 7900 has never left. All the brands of speakers I have owned over the years have been played through it. Now, it is driving La Scala's, the ADDCOM is driving Klipschorns. They are beautiful sounding amps. The AU7900 was one of my first amps and has never left. Did I say I loved it???

I have a total of about $400 in the amp, including the cost of purchase.

AU 7900 is a fine sounding amp. With the correct restore it becomes unbeatable .
Same league as 9900 11000 soundwise , lesser power. Maybe 9900 is a bit smoother, but we are talking nuances here.

Perhaps I should simply take a little road trip and get it to a pro. I assume it's performance can be verified with a scope? You guys have got me thinking it may be wise to hold out for a relative "score" on a 9900/11000/20000 or BA/CA. Getting "fair market value" if I were to try and resell one of these locally, if I wasn't impressed, would be tough.

Agree with Mike,like the sound very much and decided to let go the AU 777,anyway the AU 777 is with my cousin so still in the family circle.

I have a AU-9900 and an AU-11000. I think they are some of the best amps I have heard. I have worked on a couple of the AU-7900's and I think they sound very good but I never made a direct comparison.

The issue between the " smaller " unit eg 7900 vs a 9900 is when you get LOUD.....at about 25 watts, they will sound ALMOST identical ( based on age of components and internal adjustments ) but when you approach 11 on the fader.. Noting beats WATTS RMS. to get 3DB louder you need to DOUBLE the power.. Or in simple " motor head " terms.. the ONLY thing that beats cubic inches is cubic FEET.... and NO 7900 can keep up with a BA-3K when you have the hammer down playing your fav tune, and keeping a good measure of headroom so your dynamics do not fall apart....

Correct mr vigman.
Though i believe 7900 won't be pushed even at 50 watts. Passed that and it starts feel a bit uncomfortable.
But yes there is no substitute for qubic inches , except for turbos , and qubic feet.

Though the Kefs would not be my choice for rocking out, the last couple of comments really appeal to my irrational side...

Thanks for the perspective. I have some thinking to do.

Do agree with vigman,but when the number of power goes up,the maintenance and price will also go up. Buying a separate is everyone's dream but the cost is very expensive depending on the country because its very rare.Recently one of my friend bought BA 5000/CA 3000 combo for US $ 4000. Lucky I managed to get a good working au 7900 with a reasonable price,and I am quite happy with it driving my celestion 3 speaker. Speakers also need to be considered before buying this separates.

Is there any merit to using the 7900 as a preamp for a BA, or would that be too much of a step down from a CA? More watts isn't really needed here, just sound quality.

Back
Top Bottom