TU-717 Lamps

tinkerer

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
TU-717 Lamps

I have read for a couple hours and have not found a solution so here is my question:
What are people using as replacement Bulbs/Lights for the Sansui TU-717 Tuner?
Looks like I have 7.5 volts AC at the Lighting Board.
A couple of photos attached.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Couple of things... one, believe you meant the TU-717 (AU being the amp).

Two, there's some good threads on this on AK but to summarize, one group takes wedge lamps and bends the leads out so they can fit in those rubber holders, which also requires some modification to the rubber because the glass part of the wedge lamp is taller than the original Stanley lamps. Those look like a small globe with wire legs, once they're removed from the rubber.

The other method - which I prefer - is to order the correct lamp rating in either an E10 or BA9S bayonet base, then you remove the glass part & leads from those metal bases carefully by twisting a bit back and forth to break the glass loose from the cement in the metal base. The glass part you remove will look a lot like the original Stanley lamps, the leads will be shorter but they can be extended by wrapping/soldering onto the short parts coming out of the glass. These will not stick up as much or require modification of the rubber holders.

John

The TU-717 tuner is very pretty to look at when lighted. Especially if it's green.

bentpencil: Thanks for the link, I sent a message to see if he had anything to offer, but haven't heard back yet.

jdurbin1: Yeah TU-717 is correct, my mistake. I understand both the fixes you detailed. I have a collection of bulbs I can experiment with. Had looked at LED's but I almost always prefer to restore to original if possible, and LED's require more mods than I care to mess with.

ccheath: I may experiment with color once I figure out the bulb thing.

Thanks skippy... that was the method I was thinking of, absolutely the better of the two options IMO. Can't tell it's not original when done that way, my kind of workmanship.

Did you ever make any headway getting those lamps supplied by CEC w/o the bases?

John

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and great documentation. Will post results when finished.

Hi guys,
I'm looking for some E10 or BA9S bulbs to extract the glass part out of them, and it seems that they are impossible to be found at 8v, 250-300ma. Anyone has a source? Or should I go for the T10 wedge 8v/300ma even if they are taller?

Back
Top Bottom