9090DB hooked up to some modern gear

zombie1210

I received an Oppo BD-105D Blu-Ray player today. After a lot of research, I took the plunge.

I hooked it up to my tv and first look tells me that the picture is superb. To be expected as Oppo players have superb video playback.

Then I hooked up cables from the analog outs of the 105D into my Sansui 9090DB receiver, which is connected to a set of vintage stacked Large Advents. My usual speaker receiver setup.

Next I set up the Wi-Fi on the 105d and tried Pandora.

My jaw is still on the floor. Holy %$#@!!!!!! Pandora sounds as good as a CD. The magic that the DC is doing is something didn't expect. I thought it would be good, but WOW. Pretty amazing. I'm not an audio techie. I'm just a vintage audio guy who owned a lot of nice gear back in the 70's and is enjoying it again through a lot of restored gear I have acquired.

I got the same wonderful results when I plugged my iPod Touch into the 105D and played some of my iTunes music. Even with iTunes downloaded music, I am hearing details that were not there before, and with a warmth that makes me giggle like a school girl.

Next I dropped in a CD. One of Frank Zappa's live disc series, "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore". It sounds like vinyl. Seriously. It doesn't sound like a CD. Simply amazing. To me at least. It sounds as good as my Dual 1249 directly into the Sansui playing a vinyl record. The soundstage was really good. My 59 year old ears still know what sounds good.

I know next to nothing about DACs. But I had been using my Oppo 103 and while the music sounded good, it was NOTHING like this. No comparison. Its a 500 player, and doesn't have the high end audio specs of the 105.

Bravo Oppo!! Expensive player, but holey cow.....superb video was a given. I had no idea the audio would be so good. It has TWO DACs on board. One for digital, and one that is solely dedicated to the analog outs.

Now, to record some of this goodness on my Nakamichi 682ZX. Oh yeah!

It all boils down to a synergy we like for whatever reason. Great to see you found "it"! (I'll "lock" on synergy with even lesser gear, but there is never any doubt with what my 9090 does with certain combos'.......rich and clear color that forces me to smoke cigars!)

Cornerstone piece and would be great to hear what your listening to!

Back
Top Bottom