Wild cloud formations today

Sam Cogley

Last of the Time Lords
Subscriber
First identified in 2009, these things are being investigated as the first new type of cloud to be recognized since 1951.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=sgf&storyid=53390&source=0

I took these photos with my iPhone when driving from my office in Aurora, MO to the courthouse in Mt. Vernon, MO between 0840 and 0855. Photo 1 was taken in downtown Aurora around 0840, 2-5 were taken on Highway K just north of city limits around 0845, and 6-9 were taken about five minutes later on Rte FF around 0850 after the weird "roll" cloud had passed.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

Considering that I was driving at the time, the camera did a great job IMHO. The first one was taken at a dead stop, the others were sideways shots at 40-60mph.

Last edited:
Great pics. When you see clouds like that, do you start worrying about tornadoes? Do those clouds have a lot of motion and turbulence to them?

Great pics. When you see clouds like that, do you start worrying about tornadoes? Do those clouds have a lot of motion and turbulence to them?

I've never seen anything quite like these. There was a little bit of lightning and a moderate amount of rain behind them, but nothing too severe. The NWS link says that they're nasty looking, but rarely associated with severe weather.

The formations as a whole were moving, but they weren't as internally turbulent as you might expect.

Great pics, Sam. Amazing quality from a cell phone, too!

My son takes lots of cloud photos. I'm going to forward yours to him.

Ever been underwater when a big wave breaks over you? I'll bet anyone that has spent much time swimming in the ocean has seen a very similar sight from under water. Very nice pictures BTW.

Those are way cool. Excellent phone pics as well. I love taking cloud pics, those I could have spent the whole day playing with. :yes:

Great shots there.
They're called roll clouds and rather than go into a long winded description, just google "roll cloud". Fascinating stuff and more great shots too.

Last summer, one went through the Chicago metro area west to east , on the north side. Got some good shots, looked evil.

Back
Top Bottom