Do you know this brand?

oldmarantz

Today I found a receiver not well known this is a SETTON RS 220 from 1977 2x40W rms 8 ohms. the front is enormous (bigger than my Marantz 4300...)Inside this is a Pioneer (made in japan) with a nice design made by Pierre Cardin...
a little pic. ;)

When you look at the unit opened from the front, there is a round connection on the left side near the power supply. It looks like it goes through the rear panel. Is this a multivoltage switch? If not, what is it? I do like the front panel design better than any Pioneer I've seen.

Yes this is the multivoltage switch
there is 3 receivers in the same serie RS 220 440 660 the big difference is the output power 40, 70, or 120W they were made between 1977 and 1981.The curiosity is "the security panel" on the right of the dial there is 3 lamps for "clipping" "protection" and "heat",when you switch on the receiver the lamps bright for 2 seconds the same when you swith off...

Last edited:
Yes Shain you re right
but you must know Jacky Setton was the Pioneer s importer for Europe at this time and they produced these little series (amp.preamp and receiver) for 4 or 5 years only.these products were very expensive (don t know if it was due to design?)because inside I don t find something special!!!;) .They were imported to US.

An ole stereo review mag I have says Setton was made in both France and Japan. The article is on the RS440 which is rated at 69Wpc @ 8 ohms. Under their lab test the 440 didn't clip until 80 watts. Power @ 4 ohms was 106 wpc ! They liked this receiver very much.

Grumpy

Gumpy,
Do you have either the November, 1977 High Fidelity or the November , 1977 Audio Magizine? If so, they have reviews of the Philips AH572 amp. I'd like to beg, borrow, stael or buy a set of the reviews.

Brian

I am sorry. The couple of mags I have date from aug of 1978 and up. I tell you what Beatlefred has a rather large collection of mags. You may want to shoot him an Email or PM.

Grumpy

Very nice styling for a lower powered receiver and it does remind one of a Rotel. Inside as stated is just average looking for the power level and the FM section has just a 3 gang tuning capacitor.

Lefty

I have two Setton brochures from the late-1970's. e-mail me if you'd like a scan/scans.

Their ad line said something about European design produced in Japan IIRC.

Check your public library's holdings

for back issues of stereo review, audio, high fidelity, etc.

pete, the librarian

External styling is excellent! Internally, looks like a bit of a rat's nest. I doubt if this was Japanese made (but who knows?), as they were generally a bit fussier about their internal layout.

"made in japan" says the label at the back.
but you re right about the inside this is not impressive like the look.the sound is as good as it can be not crappy but not incredible :rolleyes:

The insides look very much like an MCS Receiver I had that was also apparently made by Pioneer. The MCS had a HUGE front panel, sealed volume control, bass, treble and midrange controls with 2 selectable turnover points each, power meters and switching for 2 tape decks. It sounded nice. I found it in a garage sale for $5.00. I bought it for my kids for their room, but they complained it had too many buttons on it, so I sold it to a friend.:)
Anyway it had Pioneer part numbers on the boards: YEC##### is a Pioneer part number.

I just checked my Pioneer manuals and found I was wrong about the part numbers on the boards. Pioneer boards have AWG##### AWK#####, AWM#### on them. I forget who uses YEC. Maybe that was Kenwood. Anyway, I looked in several manuals and came up empty for P####. So I looks like it isn't made by Pioneer after all.

I just used an MCS 3275 as leverage for getting a Realistic STA-95 repaired.

There is a shop near here, that I frequent. I get free repairs on equipment I want, by trading their labor for equipment that I DON'T want. The MCS 3275 indeed had a sealed volume unit, which I believe was the source of the problems with my particular unit. I don't know who made the MCS 3275, but I think we can all agree it was not JC Penney. Easily the largest 75wpc receiver I have ever had, it is outperformed by smaller, less cumbersome, and less powerful offerings from other manufacturers. This would include the 65wpc Realistic STA-95, which is now in perfect working order. Think I'll swap it out for the 38wpc Nikko 715 I have driving KLH Model 6's in my daughter Tiffany's room.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Back
Top Bottom