Tell me about Sansui Integrated Amps!!!

seagiant

Hi,
I'm now looking at a Sansui AU-317 amp.

Although a "G" Model Fan, I have seen the black colored Integrated units come up fairly regularly.

What is the story on these and how would the sound compare to my G-6700???

As always any info is appreciated!:D

Attachments

• sansui-au-317-front_31016.jpg
    sansui-au-317-front_31016.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 51
My opinion only , the only AU series I've listened too is the AU-719 that I just acquired to me sounds more detailed than the G-8000 I have . The G may need recapping but has no issues and plays flawlessly . The bass seems deeper with the AU-719 - stock and original . I like the G series receivers but I like the details the 719 does for my ears . My opinion doesn't matter but Your ears will .

The clarity and resolution of the 719 with its Diamond Differential circuitry is noticeably better than the 317, 417, 517 and 717 IMHO.

The 317 is a cracking little amp though. I run one as the amp in my PC audio rig, whilst a 719 features in my main rig. Both are fully recapped/restored and are lovely amps indeed. :)

Hi,
Thanks for the info, gentlemen!

Admittedly was expecting more input on this thread for integrated amps?

Have not heard anything bad though, so will continue my search for a deal on one (if that is possible?)

It seems on the auction sites I put what I think is a fair offer and always get out bid???

Even for a unit needing work!

Prices seem crazy now for vintage audio???

Actually, I think you can find more information than you can ever process just by searching old threads on AK. Having said that, it really is all about your own ears and preferences.

I've managed to find a nice collection of black-faced Sansui amps and a TU-9900 on the local craigslist site. Perhaps you can do the same in your area?

I agree with Pete, the AU-317 is for its size, a very solid performer. The only one from that range that doesn't fit well IMO is the AU-417, but perhaps that is because the AU-317 is so good and overshadows it's performance.

I have, AU-717, AU-919, AU-X701, AU-D11 II, and B-2102/C-2102, I like the AU-D11 II the best, closely followed by the AU-919, and the rest about the same, but for different reasons.

I have begun reconditioning the B-2102 but for various reasons have not done anything more to it for 9 months or so.

I have never been a fan of receivers, (except for looks alone!), it has always been Amplifiers or Integrated Amplifiers for me, in other words 'separates' generally. (Receivers are also very rare in the UK, there is a much bigger choice of separates within reach of UK buyers).

I regret selling my fully reconditioned AU-9900 even though it couldn't have gone to a better home. I would really like to get my mitts on an AU-X1, but it would have to be a 220/250V version, I don't want one enough to mess around with a step down transformer. :no:

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes! I think you are right!

That is how I bought my G 6700. On Search Tempest actually in a local town. Went over and picked it up so no shipping cost/worries!!!

I think I paid $250 for it and used it a year and then it had phono problems.

It is now at my techs shop getting ready for a complete going over with anything found suspect replaced and everything cleaned of course.

A bit more money added to the original paid price but should be better for the attention and it is my main listening amp! Thanks again!

Hi,
Well...I just picked up a Sansui AU-317 amp!

Will probably get a TU-217 tuner to go with it. They are more abundant and cheaper than the TU-317!

Attachments

• 6654320251414se.jpg
    6654320251414se.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 35070432514019se.jpg
    35070432514019se.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 16
Actually, I think you can find more information than you can ever process just by searching old threads on AK. Having said that, it really is all about your own ears and preferences.

I've managed to find a nice collection of black-faced Sansui amps and a TU-9900 on the local craigslist site. Perhaps you can do the same in your area?

Hi,
Just found a Sansui TU-417 Tuner for $125 shipped on CL!

In state but a little far to drive,seller says it works perfectly but will still have it checked and cleaned!

Attachments

• sansui tu 417.jpg
    sansui tu 417.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 13
Found an AU-217 and TU-217 with an SC-1330 all racked up in a GX-5 rack at the dump. All worked perfectly. Amazing what some folks throw out. The AU-217 and TU-217 are the basis of my shop system and sound just excellent.

Enjoy. I became a Sansui believer after buying an AU-517 and matching TU-517. I helped a friend find an AU-7700 that was recapped by an AKer. That thing is lovely. Built like a tank and heavy.

Years from now, you'll most likely end up with a few more Sansui. That is, if you love music and enjoy gear. :)

Enjoy!

Hi,
Yes! Now I have a AU-317 and a TU-417???

To get everything to match in size, I might have to buy a AU-517/717 and a TU-217/317!!!

It is fun to try and find deals on Sansui equipment!

Back
Top Bottom