Sansui 9090 db speakers popping

Rhyerob

As the title say I've got an intermittent random popping noise in my speakers...what could be causing this issue?

It's not constant but it happens every 30 seconds or so...give or take

If the popping in the audio is accompanied by a drop out in the signal (sound) it can be that the signal line going to the speaker is getting a DC voltage spike on it.

Disconnect the left speaker and place the voltmeter across the speaker terminal. You should set the DVM on a scale so it will be reading somewhere near a+/-10mV. This is normal. Monitor the DVM and when the pop occurs on the right channel notice the DC voltage. Does it go up suddenly.

Do this on the right channel as well while monitoring the left channel.

If you see a DC spike you probably have an issue on the F2624 Driver board.

Does the green protect light turn red when it "pops"?

Kind Regards
Steve

Random pops. Transistor or diode . In both channels ---power supply---Would be my first starting point. Going to be a bitch to isolate and pin point.

Could be Your Local Power Company

As crazy as this may sound, we — thanks to a persistent neighbor — traced a very similar problem to our power company.

A couple of years ago we started getting sharp spikes like you describe through our B&W 803s, but very infrequently.

Still enough to drive me crazy trying to trouble shoot the cause — always to no avail. Then last fall, when the spiking greatly increased in regularity, we were beside ourselves…until we realized the source of the problem was the transformer box outside.

A next door neighbor who’d recently moved in kept losing power on and off in brief spurts. We discovered other homeowners on the our block kept hearing and experiencing strange things, too. In January, at my new neighbor’s behest, a crew from our utility company showed up, opened the transformer box sitting between our 2 properties to, of all things, file down and clean the terminals at the high voltage connections.

The crew explained it’s not uncommon for the connections to corrode much like the terminals to a car battery, thus creating a short. Neither me nor my neighbors has had a single problem since. Had it not been for the new kid on the block, we might all still be clueless.

Last edited:
It's not only corrosion that can cause this but simply the nature of power. Not sure if people are aware but here in Ottawa it's proper code to have an electrical company come into a large building and tighten down the wiring going into transformers and panels in buildings every 5 years. The building I work in was completed in 2008. It hadn't been done in 6 yrs and we lost the light controllers to the boardroom on the main floor. The culprit was a loose wire going into the panel, it was arcing. I had to shut down the entire server room for the morning. After he was done his report showed that almost every wire going into a panel or transformer had to be tightened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom