4000 restore/recap

Roy Skinner

I just followed the advice about cleaning the level adjustment on the back of the unit. It worked wonderfully. I was having problems with one channel being weak. I was amazed at how easy and effective this was. Both channels sound great again. Now that it is "repaired" I am considering recap. It has Elna 2200uf 80 volt caps in it. Are Elnas still available? Digikey had Nichicons. Is there a parts list assembled by AKers? I have the repair manual.
I am not able to search the forum with my LG tablet. I have posted an inquiry about this in the general audio forum. I do not want to Pester AKers with questions that have been already answered.

Thanks, Roy

Elna, Nichicon, Panasonic, or Cornell caps will fit the bill. Just make sure you don't go lower than the 80v original spec. Also try and get the diameter close to the originals so you can use the existing clamps to secure the big cap. Going up in voltage usually equals a wider diameter cap.

Hi Roy, - The 4000 is a nice receiver. As for a recap list the best way is to actually match what's in the amp - Sansui made numerous revisions, so one cap list may not be complete for someone else. The way I do it is to make a cap list based on the service manual, listed board by board. That way you have a nearly complete list as a starting point. To finalize it, you then quickly browse through you list while confirming that you see the same cap (uf/v) on the board in question.

It is also recommended that you replace the trimmers. Get 5 turns -12 turns, but measure their ohm value as they sit, so that you can dial the new replacements in to the same value, before startup.

I would not worry too much about getting elna caps - The Early Sansuis all used the same grey Elna caps, then from about 74' they began to differentiate the caps based on their position. For instance, on the power supply board, smaller values I'd recommend Nichicon PW's - for the large supply caps Nichicon KG's or Cornel Dubilier 380 series. For the pre-amp Elna silmic II's. Keep in mind, any quality cap of today will do the job well compared to the 45 year old ones.

Good luck :thmbsp:

Thanks Stereofun.

I plan to use Shappers component list. He recommends replacing the ceramic caps as well as the lytics.
By variables, do you mean variable caps, or resistors?

Stereofun, you mentioned replacing the trimmers. Do you mean these, or the trimmers on the amp board?

Attachments

• 14361557235471477395743.jpg
    14361557235471477395743.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 1436155855786161755779.jpg
    1436155855786161755779.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 62
The cans with Allen wrench adjudters are part of the tuner. Stay away. The ones in question are the ones in your picture, 2 on each driver board One is for idle-current or "bias", the other for "center votage"... There may also be a trmmer on a "protection board" - that I would leave alone for now.

Back
Top Bottom