Incredible Sansui AU-111 restoration

canuckaudiog

On a quest for high fidelity
I found this and had to share it with you. Look at this, this is a real work of art. Can you imagine how many hours went into it?

Before:
unnamed.jpg

After:
AU111_005.jpg

Amazing.

Does anyone here know how you would get the leads to look like that? They seem so easy to bend, how would you get them so straight?

Last edited:
the way he tied those wires , bended components and soldering. it appeared that he had worked in the defense industries for a long time.

my question for all of you is.
1- will that decrease the value of the amp since it is not original any more.
2- It might effect the performent of the amp since rerouted components will effect the signal integrity, wondering he has check it with a scope or not.

That work reminds me of an avionics tech whose work I used to inspect.
Probably took twice the manhours that a regular overhaul would. But, it should run cooler, and you can see everything that's in there.

Nicely done from scratch. Seen this type of work performed in the 60's , brings back memories.

Someone (Johan) knows how to do proper point-to-point component assembly / wiring, that is a pleasure to look at.

The odds are that wired like that, the performance will be better, especially with the more modern, smaller, higher performance components.

Last edited:
Last time I saw this kind of workmanship was back in the day when I wired panels and chassis for nuclear and military contracts.
However did this, I tip my hat to thee!

It is beautiful craftsmanship displayed in the 'after' photo. :thmbsp: Thanks for posting.

It is also amazing to me that, at one time, there was a production line where all of that wiring mess was soldered together, producing (I presume) consistently working units.

Outrageous!!

Seems like that's the way it should of been laid out in the first place. :)

It's really simply just beautiful.

Last edited:
Hmmm 1 experience rating seller....if its real would be an amazing acquisition

Last edited:
the way he tied those wires , bended components and soldering. it appeared that he had worked in the defense industries for a long time.

my question for all of you is.
1- will that decrease the value of the amp since it is not original any more.
2- It might effect the performent of the amp since rerouted components will effect the signal integrity, wondering he has check it with a scope or not.
It looks like he upgraded components too. I am going out out on a limb here to say it probably is better than OEM. Looking at it, I would say a first rate "rebuild".

Agree, difficult to make a call on if it will be better or worse. Original placement of components and their quality and the wiring runs will also influence the sound dynamics.

Eh, I think at a certain point judgments of better or worse become entirely subjective. Really, we all tend to hear things differently and so even two dead indentical amps may give different impressions to listeners in the same setting.

The thing with a restoration job like this is that you now have an amp that is essentially brand new and will need little to no maintenance for years. It will also be easier to service when the need arises as it is not the "rats nest" that was done at the factory. I really doubt any noticeable difference in sonic characteristics based on components leads being precision bent at right angles. Now, component changes and upgrades may well alter something versus stock setup (assuming you could A/B this rebuilt amp with a brand new stock one back in 1967 before it aged five decades) but unless you have a time machine you won't be making that comparison so it is a moot point.

Really, this is an amp that needs nothing. Plug and play. It is worth a premium just on that account, and the fact it is expertly reworked for ease of future service work is a nice bonus. I think we get too caught up in stuff like the length of lead wires and other foolishness in audio gear. We aren't talking about Cray vector based supercomputers here where the developed length of a trace on a PCB will affect timing and sync in a precision logic circuit, this is the analog realm and there is lots of slack.

I also think most people, no matter how well informed of the science and physics of sound and electronics, will hear what they want to hear. In other words, if you know an amp has been restored and is no longer bone stock, you will be inclined to hear changes that aren't neccessarily there. Call it the placebo effect, confirmation bias, or whatever you like. The same as believing your setup sounds so much better after dropping $5000 on interconnects. Yeah, I'd have to claim it sounded so much better just to justify such an expenditure otherwise I'd probably break my ankle kicking myself in the a$$ for spending so much on...wires.

It has long been a hallmark of high end audio to nitpick the most insignificant of details as it is where the real money gets made. A lot of stuff couldn't get sold if everything was based on logic and fact. So, appeals are made to emotion or various intangibles that will be argued to the Nth degree with no one ever admitting that it is lost cause. It's like arguing religion or politics, where the beliefs are held with such conviction that no one can ever be persuaded to consider an alternative viewpoint.

And for full disclosure, I have no connection to this particular amp, the seller, or the tech who did the restoration. I just see an amp that was expertly restored and don't understand all the fuss about how it may have been decontented in the process.

/Rant off.

Back
Top Bottom