Pioneer PL-12D II or PL-530?

jojo0416

aka Karipas
Yesterday, I found a very nice and clean PL-12D in Goodwill without cartridge and belt. I picked it up even it has no price being 8.5/10 aesthetic condition and figure that I can use the bigger counterweight because my PL-530 is missing the sub-weight.

I also have PL-530 in 7.5/10 condition due to the dustcover and mentioned missing the sub-weight, the cartridge I have not replaced yet.

I am not really into TT but once in a while I enjoy playing my few records.

My question is which should I keep, the PL12D is really neat but I need to invest for the cart and belt. The PL530 is working and it just need the weight from the PL12DII and just the same probably a new cart. I feel guilty just salvaging the parts of PL12D II.

What's your recommended mid price cart for the PL12DII and PL530?

I will appreciate all your inputs.

TIA.

Jojo

Both are decent tables. If the PL-530 is in good working condition without any issues,it's is a really decent deck.The auto functions are nice to have, IMO. I've owned both and personally prefer the 530 over the 12D for that reason.

Hi Duane, which cartridge do you recommend for the PL530, my budget is in the $35 to $50 range?

Thanks again.

I agree with Duane. The 12D is perfectly decent, but the direct drives were the top models and the 530 is very sought after. Also, while I know you want the lateral weight for completeness, in reality it does little, especially as evidenced by the fact that Pioneer left it off it's best models in later series and Technics, for example, never bothered with it to begin with.

A good cartridge for either model in that price range would be the AT95E.

Hi Duane, which cartridge do you recommend for the PL530, my budget is in the $35 to $50 range?

Thanks again.

I wish I could be of help with a suggestion, but to be fair, I am a novice when it comes cartridge choices. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in with those choices.

I have used Audio Technica carts with these two decks and they sounded quite good.Both were inexpensive because I wouldn't spend more than $60 on anything back when.

Thank you guys, I'll keep the 530 and donate back the 12DII :yes: I'll also get the AT95E soon. The lateral wight is the small one at the side of the arm? Sorry about my ignorance. I was referring to the weight at the end of the arm, mine in the 530 is small hence I have to add a few washers in screw to balance.

Last edited:
I apologize, you are correct. I was reading quickly and my mind just converted sub-weight to lateral weight. You shouldn't need the sub-weight to balance the arm unless the counterweight you are using is not original to the arm--or you are using a very heavy headshell. You want to use either the original Pioneer headshell or something lightweight. I find these to be the most appropriate and they are also sold on ebay:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/mer...&Product_Code=PTS003&Category_Code=HEADSHELLS

Now if you are stuck with a non-original counterweight, then adding weight to the back is fine. And really, anything that will fit--ideally a bolt with the same thread--but anything that will stay--and/or as you mentioned, washers if necessary.

Great! You are correct, the headshell is not original, the weight is small, and I have to bolt 7 washers at the back to balance. :D
I already swapped the weight and headshells. :)

Thanks again for the advises, this is really a great site!

Back
Top Bottom