Good pair of speakers for AU-9900/TU-9900 system?

Southpaw69

Hi everyone,

I've moved into a new place that is much bigger, and I'd like to get some speakers for my vintage au/tu 9900 system.

I mostly play rock- classic rock, hard rock, metal, some electronic, so something with some balls.

What pairs well with these components?

Also, as an aside, since this gear is original, and from the mid 70's I believe, it is probably due for a recap/restore.

Is this something a novice can handle? If I can solder components, is this do-able? Would it do to replace the power supply caps and maybe a few other key caps & call it a day, or ?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! I love this system, and it's a family heirloom with lots of history from a beloved, semi-famous relative.

Normally, for vintage gear the easy answer is to stick with the brand of gear for speakers but I've never been a fan of most Sansui speakers. If you get a chance to listen to some Sansui speakers you should because you may like them. The Sansui SP-3500 speakers are one model that come to mind.

There are so many good speakers that will work well with your gear that the list would be really long. The best thing to do is look locally for speakers, post questions here on AK and go listen to them.

My personal favorite speakers for rocking would be Pioneer, Yamaha and JBL but it can get expensive. Luckily there are so many others to choose from depending on your budget. Unfortunately many of the vintage speakers sell for more than they are really worth because of the "collectors" value, but there are some bargains still out there.

If you are comfortable digging into your gear to replace caps go for it.

My tech has been working on gear for 40 years and he says if it's working don't mess with it and I tend to agree. If I recapped my system I probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway so for me there's no point in it. It sounds pretty damn good for 40 year old components.

Back
Top Bottom