Sansui 5000a no sound in FM modes

SonicDawg

Sansui 5000A won't produce any sound in FM. Works fine in AM and will even move on the meters for signal and tune. Saw this post from earlier and wondered if anyone can verify that this is the fix or a potential fix? Also is this something a begginer can accomplish? Thanks for help.

Avionic wrote this earlier:

Find Z003 zener diode on the bottom side of the unit. Check for 14vdc on the cathode in reference to chassis ground. It should be in parallel with a 330µf / 16vdc cap.

Keep it pithy!
RET USAF 1978-1998

"In Artie we trust"-- PPP

Yep, that cap and Zener go bad and can let 40 volts (in my case) hit the front end and take out FETs in the tuner tank. See pic the zener is a little green/black diode (axial lead) soldered across the board under that cap.

If there is no voltage then you won't have signal or fm stereo. In my 5000x I had stations but only at a 1 signal level.

Next check the input selector where it ties into the F-1036 board. You can trace from there to the selector switch and over to the FM MPX board. If the stations tune and fm stereo is lit up then it's possible the muting circuit is out of adjustment, presume the result is the same with muting off pressed in?

Attachments

• 330µF and Zener for FM Power.jpg
    330µF and Zener for FM Power.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom