Admiral console

opossumcrush

The Central Scrutinizer
I got an Admiral console today at the thrift store for free, They were going to throw it away. It was in nice condition when they first got it. They had it priced at $70.00. Nobody bought it, it had been there for about three weeks. Every body kept putting crap on it, and now it's scratched up, but still in decent condition. It is model number Y4941A, with a 9P1 chassis. Is this thing any good? I can't find any info on it.

Last edited:
does the amp look like this? THis is one I modded. Low power SE amp maybe 2 watts

Attachments

• DSC_2718.jpg
    DSC_2718.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 237
This is it.
DSCN1158.jpg
DSCN1157.jpg
DSCN1159.jpg
DSCN1160.jpg

hmmm, looks like it might have a hot chassis.

No separate amp so you are stuck with the tuner/amp package. 50C5 might be good for 1 watt per channel maybe a little more. Not much for such a big console.

hmmm, looks like it might have a hot chassis.

No separate amp so you are stuck with the tuner/amp package. 50C5 might be good for 1 watt per channel maybe a little more. Not much for such a big console.

It may not be much power, but with the speakers it came with (OP didn't elaborate as to what- but it looks like 2 tweeters and about a 12" woofer each side), and for the way those consoles were usually used (I'll bet the volume control never got past the 10 o'clock mark ever), it was probably adequate to keep the buyer of this low end unit happy.

Be careful with it, thats probably a hot chassis amp. Don't go hooking any grounded equipment to it.

I have just removed the power amp from a Admiral console Model 8YILC. I thought I would use it as a power amp,. what is this hot Chassis stuff? Does anyone know about the power rating or where I could get info on this? ADRIANG

hot chassis means that one side of the power cord is probably connected to the chassis as B-. The other side goes through a rectifier to produce the DC plate voltage. Sometimes they don't actually connect the cord to the chassis, but you'd really have to look at the schematic to make sure. The tubes are odd voltages, and they are wired in series, light Christmas lights. No power transformer, so no isolation from the wall really. They are fine in their original box, but can be very dangerous when used outside their original environment. They tend to not like being connected to grounded equipment for example.

50HC6 tubes I'll guess are probably good for about 2 watts each. I don't have the book in front of me and I can't come up with a datasheet in 30 seconds or less but thats about what most of those type tubes are rated at.

If it's a hot chassis, don't connect it to other components unless its on an isolation transformer.
Looks like the unit in the picture also has an Admiral-made record changer. Looks a lot like a VM from the top, but its different mechanically. Some of them have 4-pole motors.

Admiral

anyone have any info on an Admiral 8YILC model? I cannot find anything>? If Ipost a picture can you tell me anything? A

My FIL up in NE has an Admiral radio/tv/phono console. Keeps it in his garage and listens to it now and then. The TV has nothing but a raster so it needs a complete recap. I've had it on my list for a couple years, never got a round tuit. I think his TT is missing the record multi-stack arm (whatever that thing's called) for some reason. Might even be the same TT. Anyway all this is mere chat, since Admiral consoles don't show up all that often.

Back
Top Bottom