Time for a NEW challenge

Nope nothing that crafty when you can get THESE eBay item number:251589397179 temp knobs.. The Sansui Shop has some other needed bits.. While it's been RAINING IN So Cal ( OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIVES ). I rubbed out the right side panel, it will need a repaint.. but at least it's CLEANER, same with 1 bottom panel I have ( had to remove the DENT first ) but they both fit with no fuss and more YEECH removal It's like trying to way your car with Q tips~ . In between 4 AMBER ALERTS between 1:30 & 3:45am and 3 5 min power outages… Now THAT's NEWS !

Good find Mike ! - they look very good.

YEP set screw… So "Trouble in the MILL" Did an initial meter cal… The Right is OK...but the left channel can't make the 49 volts… only 37 and the feed from the input board is NOT the issue!

Time to look at the pre driver…… BAH

ODD Sansui paperwork R-20 ( on the print ) shows being an 82 ohm
BUT
Same in the other GOOD channel and they are both 27 ohms's

and here's the KICKER the parts list agrees with the stuffing!
THOUGHT I HAD YOU!!!
( SMH )

BA-5K left driver board

VICTORY… but not 100% sure WHY.
BTW R17 is a 1.5K Not 1k as indicated on print
SO
There is all the work I did,
Swapped TR-04 for something CLOSER in HFE ( compared to others ) .
NEW TR-01
Replaced C-07
Pulled everything in green tested & returned if in spec and everything, besides TR-04 was within 2%

It was getting very VERY close to dog feeding time so I stopped.. tossed the board in … where I stopped and BADA BING It did 49 volts ( and then some )

Meters cal'ed… NEXT

Attachments

• BA-5K left pre drive.jpg
    BA-5K left pre drive.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 35
"Projects " like this teach me ALOT.There are SO MANY issues is so many area's. It causes me to THINK on multiple levels.. Now I'm ( I think ) down to electronic NICE TO HAVES.... and moving to mechanical WOAH how am I going to deal with THAT...
PLUS people here offer help & parts to bring this ( and other ) beasts back from the junk yard.

Part of my WORLD DOMINATION PLAN

The KNIFE SWITCH OF ULTIMATE BIAS…
So the 5 K can start and not BLOW the 2A fuse in my fluke ...wiring to follow

Attachments

• Knife switch.jpg
    Knife switch.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 66
It's ALIVE

So the knife switch acts as a start up shunt for the ~2.7 A start up current. new insulated alligator clips to tie on to the B+ feeding the finals and the return.
Then my meter hooks to the little ringlets at the switch… PLUS you can change side to side by just closing the shunt, move your meter. open the other side.
BADA BING.. WORKS LIKE A CHHAAAARM

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Well didn't do much today... but I did score 4 feet, a speaker binding post and 1 knob...
From Nies @ the Sansui shop PLUS he is holding a 240/220/120/100 v power transformer for my Japan BA-3K!

Cocktail napkin drawing

I'm having some temp panels made, that look like this….

Attachments

• BA-5K top & bottom rear panels.jpg
    BA-5K top & bottom rear panels.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 57
I need to find a shop that will do that OR sand it ( using a mill will warp the panel ) ...Re anodize and fill
ALONG with making clean up cuts on the rack handels
But I'm fighting a cold and have been butt ass lazy

China knobs… MEH~

Super you be the judge….

Attachments

• IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2192_2.jpg
    IMG_2192_2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Yep that's rough. Had not seen it since you cleaned it up. Is it bent or mangled? Or just needs to be re-brushed and anodized?

That amp needs some big FAT knobs. :D

They don't look too bad but I can see why you might be a bit disappointed with them. Well, they work I guess. Nice work so far by the way!

Back
Top Bottom