Time for a NEW challenge

vigman

SUBSCRIBER
While I wait for sheet metal and meters on some of my "other projects ".. Well
I wanted another CHALLENGE…. Well look what the dog drug in….

It's ROUGH and beat and missing sheet metal, cut line cord, Speaker connections beat to CRAP.. and and and

Attachments

• BA-5K-1.jpg
    BA-5K-1.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 467
  • BA-5K-2.jpg
    BA-5K-2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 329
  • BA-5K-3.jpg
    BA-5K-3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 246
  • BA-5K-4.jpg
    BA-5K-4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 260
  • BA-5K-5.jpg
    BA-5K-5.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 294
Challenge accepted ( Part 2 )

The HORROR… I'm not sure if I wanted " just another project " or to save this flagship piece from it's dungeon… Either way for $450 I'm gonna roll the dice.

What could possibly go WRONG??

At least it will be an interesting read DO' H !

Stay tuned!

Mike

Attachments

• BA-5K-6.jpg
    BA-5K-6.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 172
  • BA-5K-7.jpg
    BA-5K-7.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 210
  • BA-5K-8.jpg
    BA-5K-8.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 174
  • BA-5K-9.jpg
    BA-5K-9.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 172
Nice save. Looks from the pics like all the major bits are there. Should make for an interesting winter's project.
-Lee

When I saw that listing I almost posted it in D&S just to express my outrage. How could that even happen? Hurray that you grabbed it and will rescue it. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohh man you're making me nervous , with your projects.
Man this amp is @up , there are many parts missing. There are some more molested and @up also. There are not many of those out there anyway. There are even fewer in the correct condition for you to borrow parts from them. There was one like this on ebay a couple o years ago, is it the same? from California? It had fallen of a truck.
Well it looked like , and this one looks the same. Oh boy , I can't keep me from holding my head with my hands and feel sorry for this beauty , to be in a such sad condition. There's no @ing respect for these queens anymore. Kings might be also.
Sad.
Do your best Mike, but be prepared it won't be easy.

John.

Mike I was watching this one as well, no way I could have taken it on but was interested none the less. Delighted it ended up in your capable hands! Look forward to following your restoration. Dave

It looks like a flood survivor or something. If anyone can restore it, Vigman would be a good choice to do so.

Opening Dialouge..... HOOOOOOO BOY~

Hi.. I won & paid for this auction. Couple of things..
1) Any history on the amp.. Where it was, what it 's function was prior to this would be COOL.
2) PLEASE pack this super bullet proof ( It's beat enough ) any more would break my heart ( especially meter protection ) .
3) If any of the other bits ( like sheet metal, or meter bezel can be obtained … later.. hit me up.. I'll make it worth your effort.

Please advise when shipping AND a PRE ship set of pix's in case the carrier breaks something.. Protects you and me.. I assume there will be insurance for this??
I'm a retired studio engineer and restore this old Sansui gear.

Thanks
Mike

HI MIKE I BOUGTH THIS AMP TO REPAIR BUT IS TO SPENSIVE FIX IT I DON'T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS AMP AND I WILL PUT INSURANSE
I WILL PACK GOOD.[NO TOP AND BOTTOM METAL AND THE MIRROR HAS TWO GLASS ONE IS BROKEN]

Ok I understood most of that.....
There are 2 meters
And there "should " be 2 bezels.
From the pictures, are you saying that you have 2 bezels but the glass is cracked in 1??

Thanks
Mike

yes the first glass ouside ,,only one meter the chasis is not in good condition i hope you can fixed i want you be happy,this is great amp..

Last edited:
JoMARK if it was EASY it wouldn't be a CHALLENGE.....
So it is what it is..... and I will take time to REALLY check it our PRIOR to ANY THOUGH of a power up..If nothing else I will get what I can working then MAYBE one will fall off a truck.....with my name on it....Making fake sheet metal isn't THAT big of a deal...
POST CLEANUP and inspection....
The goal is to make it play audio first then worry about the cosmetics...

Not sure about "water damage"... I think it was stored for a long time... IN NYC...
I mean the first pix.. looks like he's standing on a flat roof ?? I'm thinking Bronx barn attic.... more that basement.. The front panel is missing both screws on the left and it looks like the top one has a snapped head... better pix on Flea-bay 161479277147

First, congrats on acquiring what many consider one of the best power amps eve made. Hopefully, you will get it working well, and will appreciate the lovely sound quality. And, restoring the cosmetics is going to be a formidable challenge, but i know that you will give it all you've got, and we all hope it ends up looking like it should.

And, like everybody else, I just cannot understand why anyone would let such a rare and wonderful piece of equipment suffer such lousy treatment. Sometimes it's not just about the money, it's about preservation of significant achievements. The BA-5K was arguably Sansui's highest achievement.

Ohhhh Mike, you sure have bitten off a mouthful - I'll be watching with interest, the very best of luck mate, you'll need at least some.

I hope you have a 'sack barrow' (sack truck?) around, (not sure what you call them in the US) because you'll likely need one for this. :yes:

:lurk:

Hand truck or Dolly... LOL..
And I first though a sack barrow was the cart in Monty Python "Bring out yer dead"

If I had to "GUESS" this was used for PA, mobil sound re enforcement....part of the "Band's kit"... No rack mount screw scars, rear bumpers all scuffed up, metal deformed on back from to many plops.. a 3K is ~ 56 lbs this beast is 108 lbs !

Back
Top Bottom