CA-3000 Dilemma

_mano

Seriously having two minds, need help
There are 3 or 4 CA-3000's popping up for sale. Want to have one in my possession, however with the AU-111G and AU-919 both with a decent preamp section, I am struggling to convince myself do I really need it.
Yes, the CA-3000 has dual pre outputs, so I can run both the Amps in bypass mode or in series via one of the Aux inputs etc..
I dont want a BA-2K or BA-5K to justify CA3K, as I will have no where to hide it.
Its so insanely tempting.. Help

I love mine now that I completed the rebuild. The rebuild will take time/patients to get all the boards properly cleaned and prepped then redo the via's. I did not own a dedicated pre-amp and was using my Yamaha RX or Sansui AU-717 connected to my Adcom GFA-5500. The Adcom sounds great behind the CA-3000. Not bright, colored or any other of the negative descriptions I have read about Adcom over the years. This on is a MOSFET unit not BJT so its sound is a bit warmer and more tube amp like. I modded it and updated the unit as well. Faster diodes, bigger caps, etc. I will buy a BA-5k within the next month or so, but the Adcom has surprised everyone who has heard my setup. The pre-amp in the AU-717 did a nice job but certainly not the same as the CA3K.

It is a slippery slope with separates. My strong speculation is that is you buy a CA-3000 you will eventually be equally desirous to add a BA amp in the future. Not a bad thing at all, they are wonderful units, we just develop those "needs" with exposure.

PS Also not easy to "hide" a CA-3000 either

Yeah man , I conquer , just do it.
You won't have after thoughts . Go for it .
It is a beautiful preamp. You won't have to hide anything after all.
Also you'll find yourself terribly tempted to buy a BA3K or a BA5K .
Do it. You'll love it .

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the "Do it" advise.
I am already on the slipping badly for the C3K and seriously looking eye candy. Hope it stops there. Will let you know.

"I am already on the slipping badly" Bing translate wen't poof on this….
Is this like Ohhh dude, gnarly, I gots to have me one O those BRO…fersure

Mike

Translation: "I will soon own every piece of Sansui Definition series".... it is a progressive disease....

I know I have it BAD.. much like you craggd I'm a turntable away from stage 10 addiction
2) BA2K's ( sold )
2) CA 3K's ( Hoarding )
2) BA 3K's ( Hoarding )
1) BA 5K ( on bench ALIVE )
1) TU-9900 ( In Q for repair )
1) AU9900 ( waiting for parts )
and in case of the SDT's
a 9090 in the closet and a working AU 717 in the 2nd bedroom

Mike, I see an SR-838 or SR-929 in your future for sure. One of the latter on the bay now but it looks like it was run through a dishwasher and needs lots of cosmetic and likely mechanical TLC.

Mano, one additional benefit of getting the CA-3000 is the definition series equipment seems to not only hold its value but may even be appreciating. Also as you will likely have already heard, unless you can do the restoration work yourself I would advise you to get the best condition/ competently restored version you can find. Dave

Translation: "I will soon own every piece of Sansui Definition series".... it is a progressive disease....
Dave, Mike, John,
(Early Stages with Pioneer SX-535 in 76.)

Expensive Progressive Disease, Started in 78, remission between 1990 to 2013. Then started again after exposure to AK-Sansui Forum.

AU-111 -> AU-111G+a603 Transformer
AU-919
TU-717
SR-525 & -> SR-929
Cart AT14Sa - Denon DL-304
Celestion Ditton4 -> Focal Chorus 726 & JBL 4412
Logitech Tranporter, Slimdevice
Further Symptoms of CA-3000 fever.

There are 2 in Europe and 1 in US, 3 in total this week to test me.
Mano

Last edited:
Mano,

I so relate, I too had a looooong remission but have collected the equipment in my signature in the last 18 months. Have to slow down because almost every room in the house has a system in it now. When I have to just stack pieces I have to wonder what I am doing! Yet I find myself ogling a BA-3000 because it would be fun to add it to the BA-5k and BA-2k..... It does give me comfort to know I am not alone!

Dave you are type o guy. Stil don't forgive you for lacking a BA3K. Get it ! at once.
Fellow SANSUI lunatics unite.

Mano you know you want it and we know it too. So don't let it take too long.
You won't get away from this. The sooner you realize it the better. (with interrogator's voice).
So find one and get it. Simple as that. Oh and one other thing, after you acquire the ca3k , don't worry you'll have an opened appetite for a ba3k , or a ba5k .

Back
Top Bottom