AU717 - 7a fuse, fast or slow blow?

A local guy has a AU717 that has one channel out. He claims that it only needs a 7 amp fuse replaced. (Though I am doubtful) Quick question - Are the 7 amp fuses slow or fast blow? Or something else? Thanks!

UL

Slow blow are typically found in larger units, units with large power supply caps, if the fuses are fast blow they can't handle the surge at power on to energize the large PS caps. Slow blow take the surges. The fuses I believe he is talking about are on the power supply board.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused - are you saying 'slow blow' instead? I believe these are the four removable fuses that pop in and out. The seller say it is 7 amp, but no idea of fast/slow.

Thanks.
UL

Slow blow are typically found in larger units, units with large power supply caps, if the fuses are fast blow they can't handle the surge at power on to energize the large PS caps. Slow blow take the surges. The fuses I believe he is talking about are on the power supply board.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused - are you saying 'slow blow' instead? I believe these are the four removable fuses that pop in and out. The seller say it is 7 amp, but no idea of fast/slow.

Thanks.
UL

No, use 'fast' blow for this application, there is a protection advantage provided by the use of fast blow fuses, as compared to slow blow.

I was thinking of your other thread when I posted this little nugget :)
"BTW: I don't believe anyone has mentioned them yet, but there are several 'fuse resistors' ('fusistors') scattered around the circuit boards of the AU-717 - due to their unreliability - they need to be changed :yes: - if not done already".

Last edited:

Thanks.
UL

No, I was explaining the reasons that slow blow fuses are used.

A local guy has a AU717 that has one channel out. He claims that it only needs a 7 amp fuse replaced. (Though I am doubtful) Quick question - Are the 7 amp fuses slow or fast blow? Or something else? Thanks!

UL

Did you ask if he tried replacing it?
If you're looking to buy it, tell him you'll pay him a few extra bucks if he replaces the fuse, and see what he says.

Last edited:

UL

Unless you are prepared to undertake a major output section rebuild, then I would forget it....
A blown rail fuse invariably means blown output/ driver transistors.....When transistors blow, they short out and in turn short out the main DC supply and take the fuse out.....

For the guy to say "it just needs the fuse replacing" is not telling you the full story......and you also have to ask, what else is wrong with it?

Something to think about before you hand over too much money for it......an amp in that state for me would have to be very cheap, it will need a lot of work....

Back
Top Bottom