Which Sansui gear has the "glue problem"

Tinnkindling

OLD SCHOOL
The problem of corrosive glue used in vintage Sansui components shows up in many of the threads. As a died in the wool Sansui fan, and one who is likely to purchase more Sansui components, I'd sure like to hear from AKers who can tell which models have the problem.

Thanks for any information on this.

From my experience.

AU-317
AU-517
AU-717
AU-719
AU-9900 - some - (and by implication AU-11000)
AU-919
AU-D11 II
AU-X701

That should do for a starter list.

Last edited:
7070's , 8080's , 9090's, 9900Z off the top of my head.

Just did a G-5500 with the glue problem.

I think it's safe to say that any Sansui should be checked for the glue.:yes:

Rob

If your AU-7900 has any of the Sansui component 'glue' in it, you'll soon know if it is ok or not. :sigh:

Sansui used this glue to secure larger components to PCB's to ensure they didn't shake themselves loose (in transit mainly). Sansui assembler's were not too careful where it went - so it got slobbered all over the place :thumbsdn:

Annoyingly this glue goes corrosive over time and eats components and their leads. It is alleged to have a characteristic 'smell', (variously described) and is very difficult to remove neatly. Oh and there seems to be a couple of different formulations of the bloody stuff...

Acetone and patience are your friends.

Nuff said?

Last edited:
Good thread and timing as I have a 517 on the bench at the moment in for repair & recap.:thmbsp:

From what I've seen, Sansui used different batches or types of glue over time. Some is more reactive than others. Whether you have a problem with it or not also depends on factors like humidity and heat. Most boards I've seen with the glue don't show any signs of corrosion. That said, I've also seen boards that have component leads eaten through with corrosion.

Bottom line, if you are doing work on the board, remove the glue. If the unit works and there is no sign of corrosion (look very carefully) I wouldn't disturb it just to remove glue.

- Pete

Gooo

Can range from VERY DARK brown to a VERY light tan /yellow

Attachments

• 24a min glu caps or.jpg
    24a min glu caps or.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 174
  • au717regulator8ws.jpg
    au717regulator8ws.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 181
Annoyingly this glue goes corrosive over time and eats components and their leads. It is alleged to have a characteristic 'smell'...

Can you please describe this smell? My G-8700DB often has a freon-like smell after it's on for 10 minutes or so. I keep a small fan on the vents to help dissipate heat, but the smell persists. Is this a glue issue? Is any action warranted? (I have cleaned it thoroughly inside and out; deodorizers such as OdoBan have no effect.)

Back
Top Bottom