Thoughts on Thin Sounding Six

captouch

Addicted Member
Another AK'er and I independently compared his Six to some other gear. In comparison to a Sony 6055, Mac 1900, and some separates, it sounds relatively thin by comparison. The bass is there, the highs are there - I think the mids are just less sweet, warm, and full.

At first, I wasn't sure if it was just the sound signature of the single digits, but when I compared the 6055 to my Eight Deluxe, the 8D wasn't thin at all. The two (6055 and 8D) actually sounded fairly similar - both very good and balanced.

The Six is pretty much original - just the phono board has been recapped.

My question is: would just a tone/preamp board recap likely bring back the mids and fullness to the sound, or could it just as likely be the driver/amp board or main/big power caps?

Just trying to get a sense of how extensive a recap would be required based on others experiences.

Does sound like a recap is in order, especially if the mid comes across as a little out of focus or muted. The singles I have listened too are not particular warm sounding, but more so precise, detailed with a lot of punch or dynamic to the sound. Before any recap, I would carefully check bias / offset. The Eight is pretty finicky when it comes to adjustments. You should also check some key voltages according to schematics.

The singles are very compact receivers, so a recap may take a bit longer, but at least the driver boards are the easy pull-out type. I think you should recap the entire audio section - the six is a really nice sounding piece - but if you must choose then go for the power board and filter caps as to assure a clean steady DC supply.

Thanks Tom.

I know the single digit series sounds good, because my 8D sounds very good (it's original as well). I guess there's no reason why the Six should sound any different at reasonable volume levels.

Bias and offset were checked and re-set to factory specs, btw.

Back
Top Bottom