Sansui repair??

chard306

IT'S ME, IT'S ME...IT'S..
Does anybody know of a good place to send a Sansui 9090db to be restored? Just blew out both channels, no sound. it's not the fuses, I just want to redo the whole thing bring it back to full potential. Someone you can trust.
I see the service offered on eBay, but I am looking for someone you have used and you were Satisfied with the end product.

Hey, I'll do it!

I could use the practice before I rip into mine. :D

The db series are audio gems, but have their own unique set of problems, so the main thing is to find someone familiar wit the beast. I think you'll find that anyone worthwhile will have a waiting list, so if you want it done right, have patience.

Sansui Repair...

I recommend Bob Popham. He's a talented electrical engineer and appreciates and knows vintage stereo gear....and a really good guy. He repaired my Sansui 990 (the black-face version of the 9090). He can be reached at [

Last edited by a moderator:
chaco; Just a friendly word of advise on posting ettiquette. Try NOT to insert full email's in your posts. The email recipient may all of a sudden be inundated with spam. There are bot's out there that search thru the threads and pull emails. Also phone #'s aren't a good idea. Instead put in something like this....... I recommend so and so. Talented EE and knows vintage gear.....etc etc. PM (private message) me for contact info.

If you MUST insert an email or phone do something like.....Joeblow @ brokenvintage DOT com. and 8 eight ate DASH two 4 5 DASH for 3 9 three....Mix up the numbers with their alpha names (or alternate spellings). The bot's will go right over them.

Back to the original thread........

There are more than a few talented techs' here on AK. Not in any particular order. Avionic, Many Moon's, Echowars, Mark the Fixer, and others. Contact them and see how far their backup's are (Avionic we already know at least 7-8 months). Echowars is backed up about 18-24 months. I get the impression that Due to Health reasons, Mark the Fixer is not taking any new work in for a while.

www.radioxtuners.com/ is probably the closest to you. Mike is really good and you definately get your $$$$ worth.

Larry

AND you can get Mike to align the tuner too - it's a win-win as far as I can see.

Contact AK member CDFixer. He knows more about the x0x0 series than anyone on the planet.

- Pete

I recommend Bob Popham. He's a talented electrical engineer and appreciates and knows vintage stereo gear....and a really good guy. He repaired my Sansui 990 (the black-face version of the 9090). He can be reached at [

I removed the phone/email addy as the bots will inundate the guy with spam.
Please use the PM feature.

Thanks for all the leads. I am going to try to get it back up and running and start to save to have it completely restored.
I have replaced all the fuses hoping that would help but no...when I turn it on it sounds like it is running a scale and then a pop. No music. If I crank it I can here static and what sounds like music but very low. Wonder what I did?

Well by Brother stopped by and took it with him about a month ago and had it fixed in Appleton Wis. Not only did they replace a few bronken parts but re solder a lot of bad solders. I got it home yesterday and hooked it up and pushed the power button and blew a breaker, the only other thing on at the time was my Lava Lamp, I moved that and hit the power button again.. Everything work, they even fixed the Am/Fm. And it sounds even better then before. AMAZING.
Thanks again Troutfisher for the help.

my best friend of 25+ years is a trained repair guy. he has done a lot of Sansui units. he is very detailed and has a whole room set-up as a repair shop. any interest PM me. we are in Ohio

I have the same problem on my sansui 990. I bought it in Germany in 1976 and ran great for years and now if I remove the F-2436 board the protection light goes green. If I put the amp board f-2436 driver board it goes in to protect mode. I have changed all the resistors and transistors checked all caps and it still goes in to protection. If I go to the protection board and read the relay voltage with a digital voltmeter it will got red again and when I take off the lead it goes green. I was wondering if this is normal? could my driver board be good but the protection board is acting up? any help would be great.

Have you checked the DC offset? If its too high it will give you those symptoms. When it's not in protection mode, read the voltage at the speaker terminals with the speakers disconnected.

- Pete

Welcome to AK.
Please start your own thread, it's poor etiquette to add to someone else's.
Thanks
Casey

Back
Top Bottom