AU-7900 in UK Sockets

VMilkRecords

Music Patrician
So, I'm just wondering if the AU-7900 can handle UK wall sockets. They give off a higher voltage than the US and all I have is a UK to US adapter which doesn't convert the voltages. I really don't want to blow up my amp.

Also, to save me making a new thread....
I'm interested in getting a restoration on my sansui. How do I go about doing this? Where can I find people in the UK to do this for me? And roughly, how much does a restoration job cost?

Thanks

:worthless

Hi and welcome to AK

The 7900 will most likely have the ability to select the mains input voltage, have a look on the rear panel - there should be a small rectangular plate with the model number and the mains voltage rating(s) on the panel. if this indicates mullti voltages then underneath the top cover there will be a voltage selector plug that allows different mains input voltages to be selected.

I can post some pics if this would help.

Re the restoration questions - There are a couple of very good techs in the UK that frequent this forum, is am sure that they will chime in.

Cheers

John

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah...it says it takes 220/240V and takes both 50 and 60Hz.

Now this maybe a stupid question but I've never seen this before. The speaker setup is set as system A and system B with both having left and right.
The speakers I also have has A and B...do I need to use 2 cables per speaker? or am I just putting my pair of speakers into system A?...maybe a bit stupid but the amp I used before this made me use 2 cables per speaker.

I'm wanting to give the amp a bit of a clean before I set it up..It's a bit dusty.

sounds like you have bi-wireable speakers . there could be jumpers already in place from A to B on the speaker .if so just use one speaker cable per speaker . if the jumpers are missing you could use wire to jump them or run 2 cables to the amp .

a picture of the speaker connectors will help .

when set for 240v use the main fuse should be 2.5 amps . it may need changing if its been used on 120 v

Last edited:
Sure, here's a pic. It came with these clips which I'm sure has something to do with it.
i don't understand what you mean about the fuse. You mean the fuse in the amp..or in my plug?

Attachments

• IMAG0263.jpg
    IMAG0263.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 23
sounds like you have bi-wireable speakers . there could be jumpers already in place from A to B on the speaker .if so just use one speaker cable per speaker . if the jumpers are missing you could use wire to jump them or run 2 cables to the amp .

a picture of the speaker connectors will help .

when set for 240v use the main fuse should be 2.5 amps . it may need changing if its been used on 120 v
Not sure where you come up with 2.5A for the mains fuse but it should be 4A for 220-240VAC.

Not sure where you come up with 2.5A for the mains fuse but it should be 4A for 220-240VAC.

:scratch2: yes i haven't a clue why i wrote 2.5a . you are correct it is 4 amp i just checked the schematic again .

just noticed i was looking at the 6900 schematic ...this pdf covers 3 model numbers .

Last edited:
Sure, here's a pic. It came with these clips which I'm sure has something to do with it.
i don't understand what you mean about the fuse. You mean the fuse in the amp..or in my plug?

fuse in the amp should be 4 amps ...
use a 5 amp fuse in the wall plug

insert the jumpers red to red and black to black . then use just one speaker cable

Thanks again. You guys are amazing. Sorry for being a bit clueless about this stuff.
I'm going to pop to the shops to by the correct fuses...just to double check...the plug fuse (which I assume would have to be the adapters fuse) has to be 5 amp? Are you sure? I mean...13 amps on UK plugs is standard.

And for the speakers..does it matter where I put the cable..like in A or B...

i would use system A for speakers

uk plugs are maximum 13 amps .. use a 5 amp fuse in the plug as it the closest you will get to the 4 amp internal fuse . apart from a 3 amp that wouldn't last too long .

most hardware shops should have one ..or maplin .
what fuse in there now ?

if you are local to me i can drop one off for you . wr8 area

I just came back from maplin. They don't have them. Closest they had was 6.5.
There was a 7A already in. There's a label next to the fuse saying that its 7A for 100/120V and 4A for 220/240V so you were right. Good thing I never plugged it in yet. I was going to give BnQ a go later on. I can't imagine they will have it.

be sure to set it for 240v before plugging it in .
i am surprised maplin don't have one in stock .they list packs of 10

is the fuse marked with a T ? if so it needs to be time delay or slow blow

Last edited:
how do I set it for 240?
Maybe my maplin is just crap. I don't really want to order online since i'm very eager to try this amp out...I can't wait.
I don't think it is....

On the back panel

#12 is the pull out & flip jumper…
Should have a pointer that lines up with a voltage # 120 or 240..
Cheers

Attachments

• 7900 V select.jpg
    7900 V select.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 7900 AC schemo.jpg
    7900 AC schemo.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom