1st post Newbie: Sansui AU717 Query

Warm Greetings. Hope this is the right forum to post these questions.

I've done quite a bit of reading on the AU717 online, mostly here on audiokarma, and have some questions I would love to have your insight.

Context: 3 years ago, first time in a stereo store, heard a high end Sonus Faber driven by a stack of McIntosh. It was a stunning experience - never knew reproduced music could move me so deeply. (Been to concerts and every member of my family play at least one instrument so I never thought reproduced music could come close to 'live music' and never paid much attention beyond headphones.) At the same time, not willing to sell my first born to acquire something like the Sonus Faber/McIntosh setup. But yes, it was absolutely amazing experience.

Fast forward 3 years, finally decided to try to put a 2.0 speakers based system together on a budget.

For an integrated amp, someone suggested that bang for the buck on something that is readily available, to consider the Au717 because they are built like a tank, maintainable, and readily available. (Happy to take other suggestions.) I did get to see one vintage unit recently and was thrilled by all the manual dials (solid, smooth), levers and button. Just a whole different level of feel physically than all the stuff I see in Best Buy. There's something very viscerally enjoyable about that piece I played with. It's the same reason why I write with a fountain pen older than I...:)

Questions regarding the AU717. Apologies for the extended questions but I figure I would just compile them all together and make this thread count...:)

1. Would it be correct to describe the 717 as having good warmth, but also good articulation with good soundstage depth and width for the $? My speakers is 84.5 db efficient but we do not listen over 70 db. Most the time around 55-65 db. We are listening for quality over sheer quantity. Mostly acoustic, vocals, orchestral. No metal, rock etc.

I realize that there are other models that may be more lush but our speakers have excellent microdynamics to communicate to very fine variations of acoustic instruments so don't want to give up too much of that in chasing a warm sound.

Any other Sansui models I should look at?

2. I would like any unit I end up with to function up to its maximum potential.

Can a mint unrestored AU717 sound as good as a fully restored unit that has all caps replaced?

Or is it a flat out fact that if I want to have a AU717 that will perform up to its maximum potential, all caps have to be replaced due to age?

3. I see that many do not touch the four LARGE capacitors. Is it due to cost or is it because those last a long time and if they are not broken, there's no gain in replacing them?

4. Is there a website that gives a list of all the parts to replace? (This I've not done a serious search on - hope it is OK to ask.)

5. Is there a list of recommended restorers that offers high integrity and value for their work? I see that the pricing for restored units seem to range pretty widely. I am in no rush - rather have something done right than rushed.

6. To fully change the caps and anything else that needs to be restored, scrap glue off etc, how many hours generally for an experienced person? I doubt I'll have time to pursue this myself but figure its worth an ask.

7. If one is going to get a unit fully restored, is there really any advantage to finding a nice minty one vs one that is well worn as most of the parts need to be replaced anyways?

8. Anyone know what frequency the loudness button boost, and does it smear the mids and uppers? Given low volume listening, a bass boost under 100hz is very welcome.

9. These have the spring tab for bare speaker wires. Anyone every modify these for the more modern connectors that can take banana plugs etc?

10. Unrelated to AU717, do vintage tube amps also offer comparitively higher value to some of the better modern tube amps? Bonus question....:music:

Thank you all in advance for any help. It has been an enjoyable read through many of your threads.

Thanks!
UL

A mint unrestored 717 will fail, I've owned 3 of them and all 3 failed- I bought them that way. Ed Dantes 717 failed, I rebuilt it for him. It's simple- sansui used glue on the caps which rusts leads and fusistors, those 2 combo's lead to failure, as a side note they also have vd1212 diodes. Any au717 in stock format shouldn't be trusted.

That's just one perspective, others will chime in.

Welcome to AK.
The AU 717 is a good unit to do what you seem to want to do, there are as many opinions as there are amplifiers so your mileage may vary.
Yes, it will eventually fail, the aforementioned glue is likely to corrode the leads off components in time, if you are just starting your journey into vintage sound I might just listen a while before you invest the money in getting it refreshed.
I would expect to pay a good tech at least $400 to refurbish one of these. The parts are fairly inexpensive, it's the labor that runs up the cost. The main caps don't typically need replacement, as long as they look good.
I am sure if you search there's a cap list here somewhere. Read the FAQ for others experience on cap replacement.
Personally I also like the AU 9500.

Hi and welcome. This amp should definitely do what you want. I owned one for a while and enjoyed it very much. Oddly enough mine did not have the corrosive glue. Some were produced without it. In order to perform to the standards you are looking for the amp will need to be restored. Many of the old smaller capacitors drift out of tolerance and the sound suffers slightly. My ears are not so good that I am disturbed by that difference and I liked it the way it was for the most part. There is another problem that is more important though. The power supply can fail and destroy the output transistors. The original ones are no longer made and the replacements are not as good. The power supply needs to be recapped first. In addition I'd replace the thermal compound on all heat sinks. Then you can run it without risk or proceed with restoring the rest of it. I'd suggest replacing the diodes and many of the smaller transistors and some resistors too. These cost pennies each for the most part. A parts list might be included on the Service manual and I am sure that there is one here somewhere too.
When you get your please send pics. We love pics!

The sound of an amplifier is based on such subjectivity that you really need to hear for yourself with the help of peoples opinions....
There are variables like what speakers, what source Phono, CD, Tape, media program from a computer...etc etc....

I wouldn't categorize an AU717 as a "warm" amplifier, rather a more accurate and detailed amplifier.....
But again, it could be everything you want with the right speakers....unfortunately it's a try and see situation, you'll embark on a journey of discovery and may even end up with another brand....

I took a pretty serious Sansui journey, and I ended up with a completely new and modern McIntosh system.....However I still have a few Sansui units, an old favourite the G7700 which is in my tech room and I listen to the radio on it while I work....

Sansui's which also may fit your description could include AU999 (modified), AU555A, AU777, AU888, AU9500, AU9900, AU11000......those are all worth looking at...

However, getting into Vintage audio, you have to accept the age of these units, they will always need updating, it would be foolish to just run an un-restored anything really, there are things in all these units that need updating, and even then they need maintenance, you have to put up with the odd scratchy control, intermittent switches and the likes....
You pretty much have to have a can of contact cleaner on hand in the drawer for the day you turn on your vintage setup and its low on one side, or one side drops out....
However, if you're good with all that, then you can enjoy many years of performance from your vintage Sansui......

I enjoyed my Sansui main system while I had it........G22000 was my main for a while.....
But my journey as mentioned earlier took me to another brand........

Good luck and let us know how you get on....

A mint unrestored 717 will fail, I've owned 3 of them and all 3 failed- I bought them that way. Ed Dantes 717 failed, I rebuilt it for him. It's simple- sansui used glue on the caps which rusts leads and fusistors, those 2 combo's lead to failure, as a side note they also have vd1212 diodes. Any au717 in stock format shouldn't be trusted.

That's like saying your car will leave you stranded some day and it's a new car. Or that you will die some day.

Many Many of these units are stock and functioning just fine in daily service.

Last edited:
And? What is your point? He asked about the 717 and I offered my opinion based on experience- this post isn't about cars or death. Well maybe about the death of au717's. They are a great integrated WHEN they are restored. They were made with flaws, it's a known fact the glue makes a mess of components.

A simple analogy.
Caps in an amp are like rubber in a car suspension...If the car has been in a temp controlled garage, the rubber is a bit harder.. a little cracked,, but the car still handles
OK NOW the tires are also that old ( oh and it's your favorite muscle car ) you could drive it EASY... but you wouldn't RACE IT....

The GLUE is a killer on these amps...That's a must do.
The main PS caps.. That's a really SHOULD DO.
Everything else will color the sound OR leave the control circuits drifty TILL it's done.
and if the control circuits drift to far, the sound colors, distorts, and in a worse case BOOM.

If you want AMAZING AUDIO.. you have to pony up and do the do...
AND I'm learning that the HARD WAY with my AU-20K project...
( but it's IMHO the BEST way )

That's like saying your car will leave you stranded some day and it's a new car. Or that you will die some day.

Many Many of these units are stock and functioning just fine in daly service.

And? What is your point? He asked about the 717 and I offered my opinion based on experience- this post isn't about cars or death. Well maybe about the death of au717's. They are a great integrated WHEN they are restored. They were made with flaws, it's a known fact the glue makes a mess of components.

Steady on guys, as was pointed out, "just one perspective, others will chime in", we're all friends here trying to help a new member, we don't want to scare him off....:thmbsp:

We all know the risks with choosing to run non-restored gear, in the caser of this particular era of Sansui, its not if, but when something will go wrong...

The glue is just one thing, you also have the V1212 diodes, and fusible resistors which will render it inoperative....
If you're a DIY guy, not such a big deal running non-restored as you can dive in and fix it....
Not everyone is like that, and I recommend for those who are not DIY, to have the thing restored and all known issues dealt with will give you years of trouble free operation......

Yes, there are non-restored units running, but in my experience with Sansui, that is the exception rather than the rule.....

I chimed in the way I did and with an analogy because of perspective.

Not all AU-717s need to be recapped, restored or any service during the time of ownership.

You are leading the OP to believe and feel if they spend their money on one they have to fix it. This is not true in my opinion.

Some of us know this as we know of inherent traits and risk of all vintage gear. The OP does because they evidently read the site. But not all vintage gear Sansui or not needs service to enjoy.

I could make a so called "Factual" statement as you did and others could prove me wrong. I would be wrong if I base my opinion on broken units I bought.

You have your opinion I have mine. I have and had many vintage AU's and other Sansui gear. Not one issue a can of Deox-it could not fix, none of them failed in operation or the time I owned them.

If one fails I'll pm you since it a pears thats what you search out.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate replies - all helpful, particularly the analogy about the used car. I had already assumed that a vintage piece will have restoration cost so that's not a problem. Also, I note there can be a fair bit of debate with strongly held opinions among the regulars here - no problem. While I don't get into debates myself, I am not thin skinned and won't be scared away...:wave:

Curious about my other queries such as restorers, frequency impact of the 'loudness' feature etc.

THANKS.
UL

I have an unrestored au/tu717 that I play every day and it sounds pretty darn good. I also have an unrestored 7000 and 9090 and they sound like they need it - they have the flabby/tubby bass and strident sound, but the 717 is smooth and silky sounding. I'm not planning on restoring - would buy a new class d amp instead.

Just for the record Ive had 2 717's one ALMOST NEW one Ebay

Both " touted "to be " working "..
The almost new one lasted ~ a year sounding TALL, slowly it lost it's "punch"..
A couple of caps, heat sink goo & rebias & DC.. and off she went singing again.
I gave it to a " Buddy " It lasted 2 years and he toasted it .. and TOSSED IT

The other one played on the bench for 2 hrs before it committed pre driver sepaku..

So ( like a car ) if you don't maintain em that can & WILL break if you push em..
If it's just the grocery getter .. it will last MUCH longer.

Just saying'
Mike

OUCH!! Tossed? Wow.

UL

Just for the record Ive had 2 717's one ALMOST I gave it to a " Buddy " It lasted 2 years and he toasted it .. and TOSSED IT

The other one played on the bench for 2 hrs before it committed pre driver sepaku..

Just saying'
Mike

OUCH!! Tossed? Wow.

UL

By the way there is someone selling a TU-717 & AU-717 in Barter Town. You need to be a subscriber to access the threads.

Take all info here with a grain of salt. Not everybody's experiences are the same with like equipment. You could end up getting one of these and never have an issues prior to out growing it and moving on. If it goes bad there are plenty to replace it or fix it.

I was into Sansui big time and now it's not even my main system now. But for awesome cool looks and build quality IMHO Sansui racked up and mounted excellent.

IMG_0192_zpscda5b92c.jpg

IMG_1319_zpsf8d2fb63.jpg

Oh I didn't leave Sansui all together and still have some of it in use in other rooms. I also didn't replace it as my main system with just any old vintage gear. It took McIntosh to sway me away from it as the top system in my house.

IMG_1700_zpsf34313ca.jpg

Yeah HEATHEN..
But just so you go in eyes wide open.. and learning go DYI is ( I think ) a fun hobby.

What a great form. Go to church. Come home, and a number of posts to follow up.

Thanks. 4-2-7 - Wow, that is some rack!! Love to have me some McIntosh too but the only ones I'll be getting are the ones from the grocery store.

Thanks AUD for the info on the loudness boost.

Again, appreciate everyone for the replies.

UL

Back
Top Bottom