Sansui 250 Tuber

Hasher76

Just received a very nice vintage 250 tuber from that auction site and it arrived today. Unfortunately the guy that packed it used peanuts :nono::nono: and now my balance knob and adjustment pot are broken :tears:

Good news is that I variac'd it and all the tubes lit up and the magic eye lit up and gazed at me through the little tuning indicator slot so thats all good. Time to order up some caps and do a nice rebuild on it.

250face.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

250brokenknob.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Unit is in pretty clean to average condition to me, I think it will clean up pretty nicely. Not 100% sure what I exactly want to do with it yet but pretty sure I can think of someplace to hook it up and crank those ~10w of power :music:

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I was reading, using poly caps is the way to go on these correct?

I also am checking on some pots from a san 2000, seems pretty much the same as long as the resistance checks out. its dual stacked 500k pots on the 250

I used PIO's from tube amp doctor in my TU-70 , to replace PIO's...

Some were physically leaking oil.

Don't touch this, it's a very toxic contaminent. (PCB) dispose with dangerous hazardous materials.

Last edited:
i inspected all of the caps last night and they all look good yet. No leaks, no cracks, no bulges. I ran the amp just for a little bit to test sound and after about a good minute the tuner pot finally got up to temp and stations came in nice and clear, the next time I turned it on the stations came in much faster. After a handful of minutes though the sound quality started to deteriorate.
I assume old caps and dirty pots are to blame initially so this project is a go since its in decent working condition. I will work on tuning it up after I do my swaps.

Well still a little work left to do on this one. I cleaned it up, ordered new lights for it, replaced all the caps and some resistors/diodes. Replaced the broken balance pot with one from a 1000 as well. I am having absolutely no luck locating a replacement knob for it yet but at least I can adjust everything now much more easily. Should be up and running to test by the end of the week I hope. Definitely an experience coming from printed board repair to the nest of wires and leads.

Hey Hasher76, just wondering how your 250 refurb is going? I just got one myself and will be doing the restore work on it soon.

What caps did you end up buying?

Back
Top Bottom