Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Dollars and Sense

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:20 AM
AK Member

Marantz R-1270 - need advice

I hope I came to the right place for advice.

I was looking for a receiver for my old pair of speakers and turntable in my study room. I fell in love into an old receiver, Marantz R-1270 Superscope, mostly because of the design. But there are two problems:

- first one is, I can't visit the seller personally because of the distance between us, to hear it play. It would have to play a pair of B&W DM 302 speakers, here's a link to their specs.

- second one, is the price. Seller's asking price is 133€ or 170$ and wouldn't even hear about my 100€ (130$) offer. I can't decide if he's asking too much. Receiver is in a good condition and refurbished, but still, it's an old piece of electronics.

Here's a photo from the ad

I've thought about it for whole weekend, but just can't make a decision on my own, mostly because of lack of experience and knowledge, so I'm asking You for help.

I apologize for my English.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Member #287, thereabouts

I can't speak as to the European market, but that seems like a lot for what is a nice, but not really outstanding, model. I have a couple of Superscope models (R-350 and R-340, the R-350 is basically and earlier version of your receiver with a silver face and pink lighting) and like them, but I don't believe that I'd pay more than US$75 for a pristine model (which, BTW, this one does look great).

I believe the R-1270 was 25w/ch.

Welcome to AK!

PBG

There is tic and toc in atomic
The cosmic is largely comic
Old 04-03-2007, 01:41 PM
AK Member

Thank You for your comment and welcome, both are much appreciated. I hope I won't get a serious "vintage bug" here

Too bad that US and UK have 120V current, otherwise I would get the receiver somewhere overseas.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM
just being me thats all

vintage bug???

its all ready hooked you my fellow ak friend like it did with me, i started with just one a 2325 i got from my uncle when he passed away then 15 yrs later , as of this yr that is im now counting the recievers that i own hmmmm,,,,, vintage total of 30 recievers tape decks 12 amps 10, so u see my friend it all starts with just the first one once u hear it well. then ur gonna be on a mission to save what u can!!!! welcome an keep loving 2 and 4 channel vintage
Old 04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
In Hordious Remissionous

Mwahahahahahaha! Just by coming you are allready infected There is no cure and "resistance is futile" you have been assimilated Welcome to AK!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Member #287, thereabouts

suntrace1, let me know if you get the R-1270 - I can send you a copy of the owners manual for it (although, it has no specs whatsoever, other than it weighs a bit over 20 lbs. I went looking for it to give you some specs...oh well).

PBG

Old 04-04-2007, 05:33 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntrace1
I hope I came to the right place for advice.

I was looking for a receiver for my old pair of speakers and turntable in my study room. I fell in love into an old receiver, Marantz R-1270 Superscope, mostly because of the design. But there are two problems:

- first one is, I can't visit the seller personally because of the distance between us, to hear it play. It would have to play a pair of B&W DM 302 speakers, here's a link to their specs.

- second one, is the price. Seller's asking price is 133€ or 170$ and wouldn't even hear about my 100€ (130$) offer. I can't decide if he's asking too much. Receiver is in a good condition and refurbished, but still, it's an old piece of electronics.

Here's a photo from the ad

I've thought about it for whole weekend, but just can't make a decision on my own, mostly because of lack of experience and knowledge, so I'm asking You for help.

I apologize for my English.

Hello 133€ for that is very expensive, you can find a "True" Marantz for less.
Where are you located?

Tony
Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 AM
AK Member

In Slovenia, that's near Austria and Italy. Buying something similar from E-bay.de (Germany) would cost me almost the same amount because of the postage and heavy weight. The seller said, that this is practically Marantz 2235 (?).

He has also some other receivers for the same amount, that caught my eye:

NIKKO STA-8080

Vivanco 4800

Pioneer SX-535

Would you pick any of these out before R-1270?

Thank You for the offer CUlater, maybe I'll take your offer, if I decide to take the plunge... I can already picture myself, eating pasta and sleeping without my darling for a month...
Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Member #287, thereabouts

Get the Nikko STA-8080:
Manufacture Years: 1973 - 1978
Power: 45
Retail MSRP: $400.00

PBG

Old 04-05-2007, 06:00 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marantzbe
Hello 133€ for that is very expensive, you can find a "True" Marantz for less.
Where are you located?

Tony
I understand now why the price was so high.
Sometimes the German and the Italian ask a lot of money for receivers or other HIFI items.

But with a patience I'm sure you'll find a true Marantz for less.
You could have a baby Marantz like the 2015 for less than 100€.

Locally I can get a 2225L and a 2215BL for 87€ each (condition at this time unknown)

Tony.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntrace1
Thank You for your comment and welcome, both are much appreciated. I hope I won't get a serious "vintage bug" here

Too bad that US and UK have 120V current, otherwise I would get the receiver somewhere overseas.
Uk has 220V, the plugs are different, but the main voltage is 220v-240V like the other European countries.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:06 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagestereo
I don't think it's far to call that a Marantz.....that's stretching things a bit. Superscope was the distributor for Marantz for a time, but their products were designed for a lower price point than the comparably powered Marantz. Although the Superscope pictured has much in common appearance-wise with the Marantz 2015, they're really not the same. If you want a Marantz, get a Marantz.

Superscope was for a time the distributor for Marantz but, in the 70's until Philips take Marantz over, Superscope was the owner of Marantz

Tony.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 AM
An Old Geezer

You need to go by the market where you are not where we are. I remember going overseas some time ago and had my kit full of cameras cheifly from the 30s through early 60s. There were for use and not for sale. I hit 1 country and went into a local camera shop and the owner begged to buy everything I had. In the US at the time, there were $5 to $25 cameras I had bought from the "any offer accepted" pile. I walked out with a new Leica M4 in exchange.

As for alternatives, I tend to look at relatively unknown units so the Vivanco 4800 looks interesting as the others I recognize. If you decide against the Superscope that I would not discount so quickly I'd suggest researching the 4800. It looks interesting.