Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Exclusively Sansui

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:05 AM
AK Member

Vintage repair in Dallas, TX?

Can anyone reccommend a high-quality vintage repair center in Dallas, TX. I have a Sansui G-33000 and the right channel in the amp is not working.

I will appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Marti
Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
redcoates7

Circle Stereo down here in Austin does very good work...a two and a half hour drive for you, but worth considering
Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoates7 View Post
Circle Stereo down here in Austin does very good work...a two and a half hour drive for you, but worth considering
Thank you for the referral, I will give them a call if I can't find something in the DFW area.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 PM
simul justus et peccator

Bayard's Electronics in north Dallas does good work. They are a full-service "Factory Authorized" service center.

Dallas VCR and Electronics is an independent one-man shop in the old Medallion Shopping Center on Northwest Highway, and has come through for me as well on some vintage gear.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsummer View Post
Bayard's Electronics in north Dallas does good work. They are a full-service "Factory Authorized" service center.

Dallas VCR and Electronics is an independent one-man shop in the old Medallion Shopping Center on Northwest Highway, and has come through for me as well on some vintage gear.
Thanks very much, I will give them a call!
Audiokarma
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsummer View Post

I see you use a DAC - would I be better to purchase a lower end CD player and sound card and then buy a DAC - or - would it be better to buy a higher end digital media players and not use a DAC, knowing I can not afford everything?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:28 PM
simul justus et peccator

Marti,

I use a DAC because the chip-set was better than the mid-line Yamaha's set was. Plus, I was able grab the Entech when they were selling for $50, so it was a cost-driven decision.

Starting from scratch, I'd just get a higher-end cd/sacd/dvd player and keep the chain simpler. Truth be told, my Toshiba SD-4000 DVD/CD player sounds extremely good, and it only cost me $40 at Best Buy. Those Toshiba's have a great DAC set in them!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
AK Member

Any updates to this list ? I have recently acquired a Pioneer SX-650 and was looking for a competent place in the Dallas area to have it checked out, adjusted, re-capped, etc...
Old 09-21-2011, 12:55 PM
AK Member

I see you're in Plano. I've heard AJ Electronics (Park/Coit) and Sartor (Parker/Independence) do good work, but I've never used them. I believe it's $50 just to open it up and look, but it would go towards any work if you decided to go with them. I'm not sure how much vintage work they do, but they do specialize in VCR's, CRT TV's and such, but again, I wouldn't know first-hand.

I was watching an auction for a 650 that ended yesterday that was being sold locally. It went for like $20 or something and I meant to bid but lost track of time. Good luck with the work, and let us know if you use either of the ones I mentioned or find another reputable place in town. I may be looking soon if I pick up another Sansui.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 PM
AK Member

Before you use Circle Stereo do a search on them here on AK, then make up your mind.
Audiokarma
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM
AK Member

Not in Dallas TX, but near Tulsa OK.

AK member Paul Hovenga www.manymoonsaudio.com

He was recommended by a Sansui owner.

I am VERY happy with the work he did for me on a Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amplifier.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
AK Member

Thanks all. Yeah, I've heard some of the feedback on Circle Stereo. Several folks have also mentioned Austin Stereo as being a good spot, and Many Moons Audio looks like it's worth checking out, too.

ccislander, yes, that was probably me on that eBay auction. Felt like I got a really good deal, even if it ends up needing work.

(Oh, and jmoliff ? I find myself quite, errr...fond of your acct's icon. Would like that camera to pan down just a bit, tho'
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
simul justus et peccator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuff View Post
Thanks all. Yeah, I've heard some of the feedback on Circle Stereo. Several folks have also mentioned Austin Stereo as being a good spot, and Many Moons Audio looks like it's worth checking out, too.

ccislander, yes, that was probably me on that eBay auction. Felt like I got a really good deal, even if it ends up needing work.

(Oh, and jmoliff ? I find myself quite, errr...fond of your acct's icon. Would like that camera to pan down just a bit, tho'
There's a guy in McKinney who I've heard good things about. He "advertises" on CL. I have a friend in Dallas who does A+ work out of his house.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM
AK Member

You might also contact that Dallas Vintage Audio store in Bedford. They post ads on CL fairly regularly with contact info. Search "vintage" and they will come up. They might have someone they recommend.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Now Off The Reservation

I have done business with Jott's Electronics off 360 in Arlington- they do good work as well!!
DC