Can you run a Vincent SP-331 Amp in Bridged Mode?

I don't believe so, there is no switch to bridge it on the back or the front. Do you have one? Would love to hear a review of what you think. I have been looking at Vincent stuff for a while now.

TC

Balanced XLR,

Would appreciate some guidance on the other methods to bridge this amp.

Tmac83,

I do have this amp. Not sure I am qualified to give a review, especially because all the equipment in my 2 channel system is all new, including the speakers. I have run the preamp and Vincent amp to my LR home theater speakers (Klipsch KLF 20s) and it sounds great through them on CDs. However, I'm wishing for more power on my new, less efficient Taylo Reference Monitors. Was thinking about buying a second SP-331 if they can be run in bridged mode so I could power each speaker individually.

Regards,
BmWr75

You will also double the distortion. Vincent makes some very nice stuff , would you be able to sell your current amp and upgrade to a pair of Vincent monoblocks?

Thanks for the advice against bridging. Will forget pursuing this and just turn up the volume knob some more. With the Klispch speakers, I am used to not having to turn it up past about 4 on a 1-10 scale. The Taylos have require about a 6 or 7.

Regards,
BmWr75

Looked the Taylo's up and they are some good looking speakers. If you are willing you should post a pic, would love to see everything. What are you using for your preamp?

On the topic of bridging any solid state amp I tend to shy away from it. And this is whether it is self-equipped to work in bridge mode, or bridged through improvised means such as inverting the signal to one channel.

Bridge operation can offer scads of power--indeed! But such operation is tough on both the amp and its load. Amps I've had come across my bench that had died violent deaths--involving massive and global destruction of not only output devices but also driver circuitry as well gets shotgunned. I've seen holes burned clean through PCB assemblies I could pass my thumb through. And all these amps were being operated in bridge mode. Maybe these amps can do it, but they are not at their happiest in doing it.

I did try for a while to run a single bass bin by operating a homebrew solid state amp stereo power amp (one I posted about before here) in bridge mode by improvising an op amp inverter stage in a DBX 100 "boombox" crossover for feeding the LF amp. I flamed out several 15" drivers before I gave up on that bass bin and started building my modified Wurlitzer model 40 cabinets to run as separate bins--one for each channel.

Y'all can run all the bridged amps you want with my blessings and my prayers. But I've seen the carnage that can and does result, and don't want any part of it. :no:

Looked the Taylo's up and they are some good looking speakers. If you are willing you should post a pic, would love to see everything. What are you using for your preamp?

I'm running a Rogue Audio Perseus tube preamp. Picture is attached of the speaker arrangement.

BmWr75

Let's try attaching the picture again with a smaller file size.

Last edited:
Hi js,
I'm going to have to agree with BalancedXLR in that I believe you are barking up the wrong tree. You are comparing how great your Klipsch KLF20's sound to the way the Taylo's sound. I was able to audition the Taylo's through their home audition program so I am familiar with their sound and comparing them to Klipsch is like comparing apples to oranges. I don't mean this to be critical of either brand but simply to say that each company's sound is very different. Klipsch is more up front, in your face while Tyler is more laid back. Both sounds are quite good but which you prefer is entirely an individual choice. I don't think you will get the Taylo's to sound great like the Klipsch no matter how much power you throw at them. They will still sound like Taylo's. Looking at the Vincent amps specs it appears to me that it is a good match for the Reference Monitors. I think you might experiment with bringing the speakers out into your listening area a little. From your pic it looks fairly large. Remember they are not going to "wow" you, rather they are going to sneak up on you. You'll sit down one day to listen for 20 minutes and 2 hours later you'll look up and wonder where the time went. In the end you may love the Taylo's or you may decide the Klipsch type sound is more your cup of tea. In any case, give the Taylo's a good going over and don't hesitate to call Tyler for advice. They have a great rep for being very helpful.
Gary

Back
Top Bottom