My Turntable seats on this....

I call it Roller Base Platform

They are simply two pieces of plywood about 18"w x 16"d x 3/4"h with 6 pieces of 4" x 4" x 3/4" squares. Between them, there are 6 concave door knobs atached to the shelves and with the squares having a cut-out in a circular way. The shinny things between the mirror imaged devise are ball bearings that flout over/under the knobs giving the effect of a Double Stack Symposium Roller Blocks alike.... ( as per Listener review). The other thing you see between the cones and devise top, is a whole pad of Rubber-Cork-Rubber Mat that cost around $30 at any industrial refrigeration store and that some audio dedicated stores charge $10-30 for 4 square pieces. ( the pad can give 81 of those pieces).

The TT move around if touched but never felt down. The mechanism allows for strong movement is required but keep the system in place at the center of the cones once it stop moving.

Results... under a CD player is like magic and do much of what Darumas, Symposium and other bearing systems bring. With my TT I eliminated the feedback that haunts me before and eliminate most ( if not all) the vibrations entering to my TT even with my heavy weight DIY rack ( granite, cedar wood and cedar plywood with 3/4" long screws).

Jose.

Attachments

• Roller Base platform 011.jpg
    Roller Base platform 011.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 688
  • Roller Base platform 010.jpg
    Roller Base platform 010.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 612
  • Roller Base platform 012.jpg
    Roller Base platform 012.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 598
  • Roller Base platform 013.jpg
    Roller Base platform 013.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 581
Jose,
Support systems for turntables are factors well worth experimenting with.They reward success with improvements all out of proportion to the change made.
I can see than you've gone for a diy 'bang for buck' approach.Why not? The principles apply whether diy or not.
I have a diy 'Rollerball' set-up underneath my turntable(I don't have a camera,sorry).
I took some aluminium door handles with a nice hemispherical scoop,and steel ball bearings sit in them.The bearings make direct contact with a laminated tempered-glass shelf.Atop the tempered-laminated shelf is a SAP Relaxa 3+ mag-lev table.My Yamaha PX-2 sits on the SAP.
I like you,feel that the 'rollerballs' contribute positively to the overall result.

The principle that vibration travels better through solids than air seems to be lost on many people.There is a general awareness of acoustic feedback,however seismic feedback seems to be somewhat of an arcane topic.
It's not my job to convince the masses however. :no:

Thanks for your comments, both.

I also tried with squash balls once but liked the bearings more. Gingko products work with rubber balls seating over acrilic bases. In fact, the base for the new Cloud products with the recessed space and dimples to support the balls, are similar to the way I built the shelves (since few years back). Gingko use the perforated base on the bottom lead only and the top is flat. I would it try both sides with the same perforated/dimple type, but like you, with a concave surface so it floats and moves around. Kind of a mirror imaging. This kind of devise would work in a lateral and horizontal plane.

Jose.

Nice idea. Do you have a pic of the rollerball assembly apart?

The knobs are from Amerock and the code# is 3414-26. I buy it at an ACE Store for about $1.19/each. The ball bearings are from EBay and about 3/4".

You want them to be in a triangular configuration with two at the back corners and one at the front center. If the knobs are 1.5" , just do a cut-out about 2.5". The idea is to left a little space between both shelves to permit the bearing do their thing swinging laterally up and down until they eliminate vibrations ( energy into heat) and end up at the center position again.

I once tried this with my monitor speakers and the bass was tighter and cleaner while the background noise reduced a lot permiting the mid/highs float. The soundstage was fantastic too. This was discussed a few years back ( after reporting my finds in a post at Audioasylum) and someone who sells a similar commercial devise and audiophile aprooved, contacted me. I got scare and leave it that way. :yes: Then I received a PM from that person explainning my results as true and encoraging me to keep my experimentations :scratch2: Never talked about it again... :nono:

The beauty of this devise is that you can use it under CD players, TT's , speakers ( if weight allow it) DVD's ( this presented a cleaner image and better saturation of colors...don't ask me why :scratch2:). They are easy and cheap to build too.

Jose.

Attachments

• Amerock BP-3414-26.jpg
    Amerock BP-3414-26.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 000_0165.jpg
    000_0165.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 000_0164.JPG
    000_0164.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 108
Back