Wondering aloud: The greatest tuner of all!

day67

What would AKers say is/are the Biggest As*#d vintage tuner (s) of all?
That is, either by specifications, gangs, practical experience, or sheer station-pulling power. I've heard some of the old Fisher receivers had 7 or 8 gangs so I guess I'm including receivers too...:scratch2:

I vote for the Tandberg 3001. 8 Gang tuner.

TPT-3001A.jpg

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/TPT-3001Areview1983.pdf

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsS-Z.html#tandberg

For sheer pulling power, the new Sony XDR-F1HD or a couple of Onkyos- T-4711 or T-9090II. The 4711 sounds good, too.

I'll go with my Scott LT-110 tuner. No AFC, but doesn't need it as the tuner has no drift period. Has excellent pulling power off just a simple wire antenna.

How would these compare to my MR78, which is legendary among many for it's pulling power on a very crowded dial?
What is meant by "gang"?

Are you thinking of the same kind of competition as the FM Tuner Info Shoot-Outs? If so, what period of time do you want to consider.

I agree that the Accuphase T-109V is the best stock tuner they tested, although some of the modded vintage designs equal or outperform it.

...What is meant by "gang"?
Most FM tuners have a variable capacitor which tunes the frequency. These can have one or more "gangs" of plates that mesh to variable degrees, and thus select the frequency.

Some tuners have more gangs, and some less. Three is about the minimum and 8 or 9 is about as high as they go. Over 6 gangs is quite rare.

Fewer gangs means more sensitive, while more gangs means higher selectivity.

I'm grossly oversimplifying, but the above is a workable summary... which will shortly be corrected by a whole crew of tuner nuts. :D

RELPrecedent.jpg

The number of "gangs" of air-variable capacitor plates is an indication of how many total tuned circuits (RF plus IF stages) the tuner has.

The REL Precedent pictured above (arguably the finest tuner of all time; certainly one of the most sought after) actually uses variable inductors instead of variable capacitors in its tuned circuits.

And inductors are usually better than capacitors for this application.

Looks great!

I think the Yamaha 7000 is one of the finest tuners ever.

That is, either by specifications, gangs, practical experience, or sheer station-pulling power. I've heard some of the old Fisher receivers had 7 or 8 gangs so I guess I'm including receivers too...:scratch2:

A host of opinions and definitions of 'the best', however, I have been buying and testing every one that I can lay my hands on and after about 50 so far the Akai AT-2600 tops my list with the Akai AT V04 coming in a close second. The AT V04 edges out the AT-2600 at Dxing, however the tuning aggravates me a little, wheras the AT-2600 is just a happy machine.

Vito

AkaiAT-2600RareBlackFacedTuner5.jpg

Of the tuners I know, I'd say the Onkyo T-9090 is the best to receive distant stations, the Yamaha CT-7000 is the best sounding and the Revox B-260S is the most versatile.

The three best tuners ever were/are:

TPT-3001A.jpg

fmtuner-md109-mid.jpg

SeqModel1.jpg

I would say that to choose from these will be a matter of taste.
But no other tuners are, IMHO, close in sound quality.

"dolph"

Yeah, the Sequerra does belong on the list.

BTW, just let me clarify that, while I know the owner of the REL Precedent I showed in a previous post, it is not (sadly) mine. Maybe someday...

This is OT, but if you have any Precedent experiences to share (it blew x or y away, it can tune in Japan from Chicago with the right antenna, that sort of thing) I'd really be interested. I've read a few things about it but nothing very anecdotal.

"The Best Tuners Ever"

Hmm-well it has not been mentioned but how about the "Marantz 10B" and also the "Heathkit AJ 15". I seem too remember a test(High Fidelity mag I think) stating they were remarkable. In real time I have heard both and "wow' they are still wonderfull.

It's hard to imagine bettering my stock Mac MR74 by such a large margin that we've gone 20 posts and probably 35 tuners deep into this list without seeing any Mac-ophiles jumping in! Makes me wonder...

Keep it up guys! What else is out there?!

Back
Top Bottom