RS 3001's

epifanatic

acoustically suspended
Subscriber
Just found a pair at the local GW for $10.00 each, need new surrounds, will be posting pics later tonight. Cabinets are decent, couple of chips, but not bad for the price.

Very good. This series really respond well to recapping with poly caps and a cab brace front to back just above the woofer cut out. Really tightens the bass and tidies up the sound. You will enjoy these :)

As promised...

Not bad for $10.00, ordering the surrounds tomorrow, will take the vacuum to the one dust cover that's pushed in. I've never owned or, for that matter, re-foamed poly drivers before. I assume they're no different than paper cones. I can't wait to get these speakers up and running. Might do a little A-B test with my EPI 100's, anxious to hear how they compare. From what I've read these are 6 ohm units, is that correct?? I've also heard they like a lot of power. Any enlightenment you guys could give would be much appreciated. This is my first set of Infinitys and I'm looking forward to listening to them.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• DSC02575.jpg
    DSC02575.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02576.jpg
    DSC02576.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 76
Are these plastic rings easy to remove? It looks like they are glued on, I'm thinking some heat might loosen them up but, don't want to risk warping the cone. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC02580.jpg
    DSC02580.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC02581.jpg
    DSC02581.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 32
They were listed as 6 ohm speakers.

I have the bigger brothers - RS 4001 - same woofer and tweeter but with a midrange dome as well. I bought them new almost 20 years ago and still use them daily. I have re-foamed mine twice so far. I had no prior experience and it seemed pretty easy. I don't remember how the ring came off - I think I pried it off. I pry most things off - sometimes they go back together.

I have enjoyed them, they are not particularly efficient but I have always liked their sound. The price you paid is less than any single component would go for on E-bay.

The trim ring is glued on. You can cut under it and lift off. The Poly cones glue fine with Aileens. Just make sure you get all the old foam off. I use a Dremel tool with a little wire brush spinning out away from the center so the debris goes away. Use caution as the poly will overheat. Great speaker when done. I think you'll be surprised by the imaging. You might try them up on a concrete block :)

Some of my Infinities seem the best when one woofer cone diameter off the floor (for overall bass). The tweets like being at ear level. So a concrete block and a sitting position work well :)

These cones are cleaning up nicely, I'm using Goof-Off and elbow grease. The rings came off pretty easily just like you said BrocLuno, I took a utility knife and ran it under the ring all the way around and it came right off, (with a little oomph!). I plan on using my Dremel tool to take the basket down to bare metal before attaching the new foam. This is the one with the pushed in dust-cover, vacuum didn't work so I took the needle to it, got most of it back out. I can't wait to hear them. I've heard good things about these tweets!!

Attachments

• DSC02582.jpg
    DSC02582.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02583.jpg
    DSC02583.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 43
I have their bigger brother, the 6000's and love em! Cant say enough good about these speakers at all, and for $10, you SCORED! Good job.

Great score! I have 2 pair, one set I got out of the dumpster at the local dump!
Too bad I need a speaker for those. (coil seized) :tears:

The other pair works great after a refoam. :D

I think so highly of the Infinity RS series that I own the RS-1000, RS-3000 and RS-5000. They play while my A/D/S, EPI and ARs sit idle most of the time and that's saying something as I've been a big fan of them for decades.

Infinity RS's are tweakable and they make great sounds. They do take a bit of power to wake up, but once in the zone they certainly have authority and make music you can listen to for hours :)

Just finished the first one, waiting for glue to dry on number 2 before I attach the trim ring. I'll install them in the cabs tomorrow and let you know how I like my first pair of Infinity's....

Attachments

• DSC02592.jpg
    DSC02592.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 39
Installed!!....

.... glue still curing so no sound yet but, it looks pretty good!!!

Attachments

• DSC02593.jpg
    DSC02593.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 51
Looks very good. Should sound as good soon :)

The first time I played my rebuilt RS3000's, I had them about 3 feet apart (so the bass was somewhat additive) and they literally blew me away. And that was just as I switched out the EPI100's under the HT system and plugged the 3000's in instead. Placement will allow you to tailor the sound to needs :)

Finally....

Done.... listening as we speak, I'm quite impressed. My KA-3500 might be a little underpowered for them but, they sound fantastic! Very tight and I love the Polyspherite tweets. Great definition and detail. My first Infinitys and hopefully, not my last. Man, it feels good to take something for nothing!!... $20 for the speakers, $16.95 for the foam....listening pleasure...priceless!!
I think I'll take them upstairs tomorrow when everybody's gone and hook them up to the KA-9100!!:banana:

Attachments

• DSC02595.jpg
    DSC02595.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 39
I hooked them up to the 9100 today and wow!! these things really opened up. They do like a lot of power. I can't say enough about these tweeters.

Back
Top Bottom