Econowave Info

cllong

Hello All. I've followed with great interest the econowave thread. I would like to know what the difference in concept is between the older horn designs and the ew? I am in awe of all the graphs. What do they mean and how does it enfluence the sound?

i second that. econowaves are very cool. the KLH, Advent, and the original thread are, well some times hard to follow.

OK. In a nutshell... the biggest difference between the horn flare used in the Econowave setup, compared to older designs, is a greater concern toward keeping the response EVEN over greater listening angles, compared to older horns, which tended to "beam" the highest frequencies (i.e, the upper treble).

In older horns, a "cheat" was oftentimes used, due to the lack of HF extension of many older drivers, and the need for extreme sensitivity on-axis, due to very small amps being the norm, back then... the horn was shaped so it was louder at the extreme high frequencies, on-axis, than off-axis. In essence, the high frequency energy was "squeezed" into a smaller listening area... so that it would "keep up" with the mids. This resulted in a sound that rapidly got "dull" off-axis... but could, due to the "artificial" nature of the shaping, be overly "sharp" or "bright" on-axis. In essence, there usually was only a very narrow range of listening angles that sounded good... everywhere else, the sound would be too bright or too dull.

In addition, the "cheat tricks" required to do this, frequently resulted in other problems... many times, there was un-even response in other parts of the spectrum, due to the special weird shaping involved. So, the horns, sometimes, were never really flat response ANYWHERE... they might get close, but they were never COMPLETELY accurate.

OTOH, with the Econowave... the flare is made so everything is UNIFORM over most listening angles, more or less, no matter what the frequency. To compensate for the lack of high-frequency response this would otherwise create, an electrical filter (crossover "add-on" or modification to a normal crossover type) was created that does the OPPOSITE... it decreases the drive level to the horn, as frequency goes DOWN. The horn has uniform response in SPACE... the crossover gives it uniform response in FREQUENCY as well.

So, in essence... with an Econowave horn and crossover, you get very close to even response, no matter what angle you are from the speaker. And that makes a VERY BIG difference in the "realism" of what you hear!

Regards,
Gordon.

And to add to what Gordon put forth, the manufacturers, not being dummies (generally), noted the differences and now call horns "waveguides". This avoids comparison, in many instances, to the older technology. Hence the full name of the project here, Econo-Waveguides or EWG.

The curves generated by Earl Geddes measuring the performance of EconoWave confirm that not only is the frequency response uniformly flat within the listening window defined by the waveguide (constant directivity,) so also is its volume, or SPL level. Several builders have recently commented on this characteristic in the main thread; in this respect, it does not behave like conventional horns OR tweeters, and the beneficial effect is immediately apparent to listeners:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2302942#post2302942

These curves further confirm that outside the listening window, at ever wider off-axis angles, the frequency response defining the spectral content of the sound continues to remain essentially constant (uniform power response). Thus, sound reflected from walls and objects within the room does not degrade the direct sound, and the image remains precise and stable. The room is far less of a performance-altering factor with EconoWave than with conventional loudspeaker designs.

Sum total, EconoWave IS different; it's unlike any speaker most have ever heard before, and to many, very much better.... :yes:

http://www.aeronet.com.au/waveguide.htm

Try it. You'll like it!

I have built three pairs of EconoWaves that are keepers, and within a week or so will have pictures of the conversion of my home theater system to EconoWave. They will appear on the EconoWave thread of course.

The EconoWave thread has lots of posts which don't really add to the content, but all threads do. There are also some threads about particular E-Wave conversions made outside of the EconoWave thread, simply because the original thread is getting pretty long. But they all point to the extraordinary success of the basic EconoWave concept. And the beautiful part is that once you build a pair and hear the fabulous sound and think about what you have built, you will know that it can be improved upon. It is really only the beginning. It is a primer. A kick start.

Try it. You will like it!

cllong- comforting to know there are others digesting the terminology... Having blindly followed instructions and completed a pair of E-Waves, the concept makes quite a bit more sense than before as does an understanding of the project's goals. Nothing like hands-on experience- are you considering a build?

Many thanks to all. After consulting via pm with Zilch, I'm considering a conversion on my friends set of L88's. He was thinking of converting to a threeway ala L100. I believe the econo wave will be a better alternative.

Many thanks to all. After consulting via pm with Zilch, I'm considering a conversion on my friends set of L88's. He was thinking of converting to a threeway ala L100. I believe the econo wave will be a better alternative.

An L88 would make an ideal Econowave conversion. Especially if you have the Nova version, with the "rectangle and circle" grille. That is just BEGGING to have a (rectangular!) horn behind that rectangle (to go with the ROUND woofer behind the CIRCLE!). Talk about making function match form!

Yeah, it's heresy to the restorers and the collector/purists... but it's just so AESTHETICALLY CORRECT to think about, what it would look (and sound) like afterward... a pleasure for both the sight and sound senses. :D

Regards,
Gordon.

I have a pair of older ev4's with blown horn tweeters but very nice cabs. They have the sp12 woofer in them. I have no problems with cutting these up and putting in an econowave. Would these be a good candidate?

hmmm, would this mod affect the left right separation much? it seems like it.
How, and in what respect, would it seem so? :dunno:

Imaging is more precise and stable, actually, and there are deployments which may be used to generate a sweet spot up to two yards wide.... :yes:

How, and in what respect, would it seem so? :dunno:

Imaging is more precise and stable, actually, and there are deployments which may be used to generate a sweet spot up to two yards wide.... :yes:

wow you are so convincing!!!!! which of your ar-4x creations do you think came out the best? I have 3 pairs!!!!!! would like to try it!

wow you are so convincing!!!!! which of your ar-4x creations do you think came out the best? I have 3 pairs!!!!!! would like to try it!
They all perform well. Since I did those, JBL came out with a new 6" square PT waveguide; it's not "official" mini-E'Wave yet, but Jack and Skywave are both building with it. That's what I'd use in AR4x next.

Part number's in the drawing for JBL's product that uses it here:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AE Series Compact Models/AC16-WH.pdf

Part# 364914-001 available from JBL Pro Parts for a whopping $6 each. They may be on backorder, but place your order anyway; it'll take them a bit to catch up with any unanticipated E'Waver demand.

Preliminary measurements indicate that they work with the standard E'Wave crossover and Selenium drivers. Woofer upgrade is JBL 116A/H in the ones I have built, but it'll work with the original ARs, too, just not as well. There may be suitable new woofers, too, but I have not researched the prospects.... :dunno:

can't seem to find the JBL pro parts online catalog.... At 6 dollars a driver it is a no brainer! can't wait to start this project!

My JBL 364914 waveguides (6x6") finally showed up on the front porch today.

Am I correct in remembering that these use the standard E'Wave crossover?

Back
Top Bottom