Opera-Consonance LP 6.1 launched - affordable high performance, under $1000

GrantFidelity

The LP6.1 plus T988 tonemarm are the lastest creation of opera-Consoance to fit in your budget! Features derived from the flagship Droplet 5.0 and LIU - both costs many times more than the LP6 combo.

This new budget combo of table and tonearm will provide you sleek looks plus outstanding performance at only MSRP US$1,250. The T988 tonearm can be purchased separately for MSRP US$600.

Want to own LP6.1 combo first and save 25%? Pre-order now for US$940 (table and arm) including free shipping in Canada and continuous USA for first 10 customers only. Shipping starts Nov 15th, 2009 - just in time to bring music to your Christmas!

Product listing page: http://grantfidelity.com/site/Opera_Consonance_LP6.1

Opera%20LP61.jpg

Opera%20LP61%20motor.jpg

T988.jpg

Last edited:
Its a cool tonearm, I'm using it now, the 9" version. Pretty cool that for another $150 or so you can drop a 12" arm into it and do arm rolling :)

Its a cool tonearm, I'm using it now, the 9" version. Pretty cool that for another $150 or so you can drop a 12" arm into it and do arm rolling :)

I'd still like to know the practicality of mounting the 12" arm (t1288) on a Techics SL-110A in lieu of an SME3012, which would be twice the cost. For Vitaphone discs and radio transcriptions and the fact that the equipment needs to be portable I can't really justify having the LP6.1 also, it would be too fragile. Cartridge is a Shure V15 Type III or V with various stylii, or Stanton 681 or Shure M44-7.

I'd still like to know the practicality of mounting the 12" arm (t1288) on a Techics SL-110A in lieu of an SME3012, which would be twice the cost. For Vitaphone discs and radio transcriptions and the fact that the equipment needs to be portable I can't really justify having the LP6.1 also, it would be too fragile. Cartridge is a Shure V15 Type III or V with various stylii, or Stanton 681 or Shure M44-7.

Sorry for the delays in responding, just finished another show. Tiring work audio shows !

I wouldn't consider the Opera Uni-Pivot type tonearms for portable use. While rugged in nature, they are delicate in use and seeing that they are oil resevoir dampened, it is a bit of a pain for transporting. I know I move them around quite a bit and would suggest a more traditional design. The LP6.1 table is actually very rugged. I don't see it being damaged in normal transport, even out of the box. I do it more often than I care to think about :)

btw, the Droplet 3.1 and ST-88 was actually my candidate for the Stanton when I get to recording my 78's, I haven't compared the 6.1 against the 3.1 yet. I'll try and get a pully made for the Opera motors that will do 78. Suggestions welcome.

The just retired ST-100 9" tonearm is excellent btw. I have one demo left.

Cheers,
Ian

Sorry for the delays in responding, just finished another show. Tiring work audio shows !

I wouldn't consider the Opera Uni-Pivot type tonearms for portable use. While rugged in nature, they are delicate in use and seeing that they are oil resevoir dampened, it is a bit of a pain for transporting. I know I move them around quite a bit and would suggest a more traditional design. The LP6.1 table is actually very rugged. I don't see it being damaged in normal transport, even out of the box. I do it more often than I care to think about :)

btw, the Droplet 3.1 and ST-88 was actually my candidate for the Stanton when I get to recording my 78's, I haven't compared the 6.1 against the 3.1 yet. I'll try and get a pully made for the Opera motors that will do 78. Suggestions welcome.

The just retired ST-100 9" tonearm is excellent btw. I have one demo left.

Cheers,
Ian

Yes I know you were doing the shows - which I hope went well - that's why I didn't bump the thread. Thank you for your thoughts on the T988 and LP6.1 which were very enlightening.

The ST-100 bipivot tends to be more to my personal liking with its standard headshell and greater arm mass. It's a good match to my cartridges. And I prefer the SME-type hanging-weight antiskating. I guess being a Demo it's WAY less than your $595 usd, with a further newsletter discount..? :yes: :naughty: :D

(edit) It's a fixed headshell? I can see having two arms on one deck then.

Actually though I really should be saving the money for a 12" arm.

My Father used to make clocks and had a lathe and other tools for working with metal. He made pulleys and motor spindles for 78 speeds on my turntables that didn't support that speed, such as a Garrard Zero-100 and a Dual belt-drive I once used. I still have that Garrard. It would indeed be cool to have Jean Goldkette's "Sunday" cranking away on that LP 6.1...Heheh.

Last edited:
The ST-100 is a fixed headshell, but I can literally roll a cartridge (DynaVectors) in about 5 minutes, including tracking force etc. The headshell design makes rolling cartridges really simple. I can visually memorize the position of the three DynaVectors.

That would of course end my thoughts of using it, story of my life, Rachel sold it ). PM or email her if you want for pricing.

Cheers,
ian

The ST-100 is a fixed headshell, but I can literally roll a cartridge (DynaVectors) in about 5 minutes, including tracking force etc. The headshell design makes rolling cartridges really simple. I can visually memorize the position of the three DynaVectors.

That would of course end my thoughts of using it, story of my life, Rachel sold it ). PM or email her if you want for pricing.

Cheers,
ian

When you talk about rolling Dynavectors, do you mean the $5000 ones with naked stylii? I shudder to think....

Well the arm is mine now.. Nyah nyah... <g> I'll send a picture when it's mounted.

When you talk about rolling Dynavectors, do you mean the $5000 ones with naked stylii? I shudder to think....

Well the arm is mine now.. Nyah nyah... <g> I'll send a picture when it's mounted.

All the Dynavectores I use are under $1k. Demoing more expensive is for braver souls than I.

Congrats, Rachel told me you grabbed it with the instructions of course to pack it up for you :) Great arm you have. Guess I'll have to see how the T988 works for 78 RPM type recordings and the Stanton etc.

Cheers,
Ian

I wonder how many parts this shares with the Well Tempered Amadeus. It definitely has the same DVD ROM motor and it looks like it uses the same feet and possibly arm tube? Ian any info you can share regarding the similarities in parts/sound?
Thanks

Unfortunately we as seller/distributor of the product (a merchant) is not allowed to compare the product to another OEM product manufactured by the same company. It involves trademark rights and other legal implications.

However, end users or potentially interested customers are more than welcome to compare the two product by using the information provided under each brand. Of course professional reviewers are allowed to do thorough comparison as they wish. Our hands are tied as distributor and seller.

Manufacturer (Opera-Consonance) is also not in a position to provide such kind of comparison.

Best,
Rachel

I wonder how many parts this shares with the Well Tempered Amadeus. It definitely has the same DVD ROM motor and it looks like it uses the same feet and possibly arm tube? Ian any info you can share regarding the similarities in parts/sound?
Thanks

Actually I was thinking how DIFFERENT the Well-Tempered arms are from either the OC T-series or the SME-type arms. There's no doubt that some parts have the same raw manufacturer's source. The arm may be standard stock cut to order with mounts made in the same factory for many phonograph builders. However the golf ball in oil pivot of the well-tempered arm is quite different from the unipivot with ball-bearing assist of the Opera-consonance. Phonograh Motors are surely OEM, the same (different) motors are used for instance in just about any cassette recorder from any manufacturer. The same ICs and tuning gangs were used in analog FM receivers etc. Generally only Direct-drive turntables actually had motors made specifically for the manufacturer, others, even Garrard synchrolabs, were actually raw OEM and used by other companies.

Think how much a mid-level turntable would cost if each new model had to ACTUALLY be designed and built from scratch with all-new molds for each run!

So similar-looking or even identical parts means nothing, its how the system is put together as a whole that makes or breaks the product.

Last edited:
Thanks

Sorry, I really don't know and if I did, it probably wouldn't be our place to answer. Hope you understand.

Cheers,
Ian

yeah, I get it but I don't see what the big deal is. It's no secret that Opera makes the Amadeus for Firebaugh and it's pretty clear to see that the lp6.1 uses some of the same parts. I would assume Firebaugh is aware of this. Most of what makes the Amadeus the Amadeus is in the tonearm and they seem to share little in that respect.

Anyway I'm eager to see some reviews of the lp6.1 and if it even comes close to the Amadeus at that price it will be a great table.

yeah, I get it but I don't see what the big deal is. It's no secret that Opera makes the Amadeus for Firebaugh and it's pretty clear to see that the lp6.1 uses some of the same parts. I would assume Firebaugh is aware of this. Most of what makes the Amadeus the Amadeus is in the tonearm and they seem to share little in that respect.

Anyway I'm eager to see some reviews of the lp6.1 and if it even comes close to the Amadeus at that price it will be a great table.

The Amadeus is almost three times the price of the LP6.1, mostly in the arm. Also it uses a pulley on the motor that allows the use of fishing line. I THINK the LP6.1 still has to use a manufactured belt, Ian may correct me. The LP6.1is for those who work for a living and support a family but want to relax with good sound.

Last edited:
The Amadeus is almost three times the price of the LP6.1, mostly in the arm. Also it uses a pulley on the motor that allows the use of fishing line. I THINK the LP6.1 still has to use a manufactured belt, Ian may correct me. The LP6.1is for those who work for a living and support a family but want to relax with good sound.

The LP6.1 also uses fishing line. The LP6.1 really pushes the envelope for price/performance, we worked hard to get these prices for NA, for now.

Cheers,
Ian

I only brought this up because I had a chance to listen to the Amadeus and it is a great sounding turntable but I thought it seemed like a lot of money for a table made in China that from the looks of it does not have any parts that needed significant machining or a lot of engineering. I understand there are R&D and marketing cost that are not spread across a large volume of TTs, but 2800 seems a little pricey.

The LP6.1 looks like a nice table and the price makes me question the price point of the Amadeus even more. That's all I'm saying.

I only brought this up because I had a chance to listen to the Amadeus and it is a great sounding turntable but I thought it seemed like a lot of money for a table made in China that from the looks of it does not have any parts that needed significant machining or a lot of engineering. I understand there are R&D and marketing cost that are not spread across a large volume of TTs, but 2800 seems a little pricey.

The LP6.1 looks like a nice table and the price makes me question the price point of the Amadeus even more. That's all I'm saying.

The Amadeus has extra overhead because apparently each arm is hand-finished to "zero tolerance" as is the catchword. Having said that, GF is offering the LP6.1 a fair bit below MSRP, whereas we're looking at the actual MSRP for the Amadeus, but it still would cost $1200 more.

Incidentally the LP6.1 can be used to play 78's, or ANY speed, by using a Teres rim-drive, which is crystal-locked. Also there's supposed to be some sonic improvement with the Teres Verus over having a fishing line drive. The same $1600 upgrade can be used with ANY turntable that has the platter bearing solid to the plinth, and an accurate outside rim on the platter. (You couldn't drive a TD-124 for instance)

(edit) It's ironic that the Amadeus arm is more costly, yet it's the T998 that's getting the good reviews.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom