Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > General Audio Discussion


We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
JohnVF JohnVF is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 29,127
Anybody familiar with the McCormack DNA 0.5?

Is anybody here familiar with the original version of the McCormack DNA 0.5 amplifier? It seems to be highly regarded, but there's also references I keep finding to people having it updated to a later standard. Has anybody done this or know what changes are made? I've heard one, and liked it, but was curious about any long term exposure.

Thanks.

john
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 AM
watt's Avatar
watt watt is offline
no on
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,676
I wish (I truly do) that I could give you my first hand experience with these amps, but I only know what I've read. There's a .pdf available at smcaudio.com that shows some a la carte options alongside the price structure for various levels of upgrade. Not the most thorough explanation, but it might give you some idea. To complicate matters a little, it appears that there are two versions of the DNA 0.5: the Standard and the Deluxe. Could be that you've already seen this.

And when you get this amp, pick up the Aragon they have for me, will ya?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Danddd's Avatar
Danddd Danddd is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 436
I have a McCormack DNA 0.5 since 1998. Picked it up used, but only 6 mos old. I run it with a VTL 2.5 pre, which I've been told and can attest is a perfect match. Never modded it as I didn't feel the urge and enjoy it as it is. No problem whatsoever with either unit and they are on 24/7.

I've seen these on Audiogon used for $600.00. Been tempted to pick another one up just to have it.
__________________
TT: Rega 3 w/Grado Gold
Amp: McCormack DNA 0.5
Pre : VTL 2.5
CDP: YBA Design
Speakers: Custom Towers mod/Van L Speakerworks

Enlightened?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM
JohnVF JohnVF is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 29,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
I have a McCormack DNA 0.5 since 1998. Picked it up used, but only 6 mos old. I run it with a VTL 2.5 pre, which I've been told and can attest is a perfect match. Never modded it as I didn't feel the urge and enjoy it as it is. No problem whatsoever with either unit and they are on 24/7.

I've seen these on Audiogon used for $600.00. Been tempted to pick another one up just to have it.
Thank you...that's the kind of experience I was hoping somebody would have. I had a chance to audition it for awhile but its good to hear about long term exposure. It's difficult to tell if I'll like something without testing it on my speakers, in my room (though it was actually tested on a preamp that I now own).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
JohnVF JohnVF is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 29,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by watt View Post
I wish (I truly do) that I could give you my first hand experience with these amps, but I only know what I've read. There's a .pdf available at smcaudio.com that shows some a la carte options alongside the price structure for various levels of upgrade. Not the most thorough explanation, but it might give you some idea. To complicate matters a little, it appears that there are two versions of the DNA 0.5: the Standard and the Deluxe. Could be that you've already seen this.

And when you get this amp, pick up the Aragon they have for me, will ya?
Thanks for that pdf heads up. I somehow missed that in my Google-frenzy. I think the one I looked at was a standard as it was an early unit. I really liked it, but wanted that Sony Esprit stuff more the day I auditioned it (and the little Sony class-A amp actually won the shootout with the McCormack). With the prices of those upgrades I would probably just keep it stock, because I could hot-rod that Odyssey Khartago I've had my eye on for that price. Who knows...it actually reminded me a lot of my RGR amp when I auditioned it. Which was both a reason to love it, and also to ask the question "why buy an amp like the one you have?".

I thought you didn't like the weird cut-out design of the Aragon amps...
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Danddd's Avatar
Danddd Danddd is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wheaton, IL
Posts: 436
I won't buy anything for my main set up now w/o auditioning it first in my set up. Just makes all the difference.
__________________
TT: Rega 3 w/Grado Gold
Amp: McCormack DNA 0.5
Pre : VTL 2.5
CDP: YBA Design
Speakers: Custom Towers mod/Van L Speakerworks

Enlightened?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
JohnVF JohnVF is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 29,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
I won't buy anything for my main set up now w/o auditioning it first in my set up. Just makes all the difference.
That's the dilemma I'm in now. I really am interested in the Odyssey Audio Khartago or Stratos, but they're factory direct. And there's this older McCormack here that I can audition. I may as well just take it home for a weekend and try it. I'm close enough with the folks who have it for sale that that wouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM
watt's Avatar
watt watt is offline
no on
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVF View Post
I thought you didn't like the weird cut-out design of the Aragon amps...
Good memory. I've had a bit of a wandering eye for amps lately, and I like my Acurus so much that I think I'd be able to overlook the cut-out.

I like your RGR too. Plus, it has rack handles.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 PM
JohnVF JohnVF is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 29,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by watt View Post
Good memory. I've had a bit of a wandering eye for amps lately, and I like my Acurus so much that I think I'd be able to overlook the cut-out.

I like your RGR too. Plus, it has rack handles.
I need to build a rack for all this rack handled gear I have. Everything I'm running now has rack handles, except the sony pre-tuner (which is going to end up probably just being a tuner in my system). All this gear that had those...I wonder how many people actually used a rack? I guess I could put the Mac 4100 in tuner duty to finish off the rack-handle club.

I might listen to the Aragon next time I'm in there. I saw it sitting on the shelf last thursday but I only had a few minutes and I was there to figure out what was taking so long on my ARC preamp.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.



Friends of Audiokarma
We appreciate your help in keeping this site going.
Pro DJ Headphones - click here
Amps and Sound
Wargos Electronics
Organ Donor Parts
Sonneteer
Parts Connexion
Sound Stage Direct
Atlantic Systems
AudioClassics
Take Five Audio
AV Solutions
Audio Salon
Tone Arm Audio
Audience AV
Musical Paradise
Simply Speakers
Classic Sound Repair
BD Enterprise
McIntosh Cabinets
Howard Products
Cabledyne
FM DX Antenna
BOI Audio Works
Siliconray
Amplifiedparts
Vinyl Magic Record Cleaner
RSL Speakers
Grant Fidelity
Urban Antigue Radio
Yesterday's Audio
Many Moons Audio
DeWick Repairs
The Tube Store
Vintage Electronics Repair
Audio Doctor
Politicalchat.org
MCM Electronics
Antique Radio Classifieds
Herbies Audio Lab
Videokarma.org
   
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2002-2014 AudioKarma.org, All rights reserved.