Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Turntables

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:02 PM
AK Member

audio-technica AT-OC9/III

I recieved a audio-technica AT-OC9/III today and mounted it on my Clearaudio Concept.I owned the OC9 version 2 a few years back and wanted to hear the version 3 for a while now.Anyway, great sounding cart as always.I think version 2 tracking was 1.5.The new is 2 grams.Version 3 also uses Boron materials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010128.jpg (32.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg P1010127.jpg (35.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Monochromatic Fanatic

So how best would you describe the sound from the OC9/III with your current setup compared to anything else you have used in the past regarding MC or MM carts?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneervato View Post
So how best would you describe the sound from the OC9/III with your current setup compared to anything else you have used in the past regarding MC or MM carts?
Thats a hard question for me to answer.I have several tables and all have MM carts and I have always been a fan of MM carts.It's my preference.I have tried several other MC carts before but always came back to MM.I always had a soft spot for the AT OC9 becuase of the bang for the buck and I just dig the sound it produces.The cart it replaced was a Clearaudio Maestro MM.I can't say definitidely is one is better than the other.I am looking foward to some more breakin with the AT OC9.The Maestro is twice as much as the AT and that I can't tell which is better makes the OC9 a great value in my eyes.Fortunately my Musical Surroundings has dip switches for the gain and load as the OC9 is low output.So, my main turntable I will use both the Maestro and OC9 and probably switch off from time to time.In my mancave I have 5 TT's all with MM carts.Grace 9E and 9L,Shure V15 IV,Shure V15 VxMR,Clearaudio Concept MM.

Last edited by scottyh777; 06-13-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 AM
More Q's than A's.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyh777 View Post
Thats a hard question for me to answer.I have several tables and all have MM carts and I have always been a fan of MM carts.It's my preference.I have tried several other MC carts before but always came back to MM.I always had a soft spot for the AT OC9 becuase of the bang for the buck and I just dig the sound it produces.The cart it replaced was a Clearaudio Maestro MM.I can't say definitidely is one is better than the other.I am looking foward to some more breakin with the AT OC9.The Maestro is twice as much as the AT and that I can't tell which is better makes the OC9 a great value in my eyes.Fortunately my Musical Surroundings has dip switches for the gain and load as the OC9 is low output.So, my main turntable I will use both the Maestro and OC9 and probably switch off from time to time.In my mancave I have 5 TT's all with MM carts.Grace 9E and 9L,Shure V15 IV,Shure V15 VxMR,Clearaudio Concept MM.
Can you give us an update of your opinion of the OC9-3 cartridge? I am looking at buying a new one, and this is on my list of possibilities.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM
First Love.... Marantz!

Scotty put about 50 hours on it then let us know. Thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Scotty bought that cartridge in 2011. I hope he's got 50 on it already!
PSE V monoblocks, Classe' CA-2200, Lazarus balanced preamp, Klyne SK6 preamp, Boulder squeezebox, Oracle Delphi MKIII, Audio Technica OC9/III, Riggled RB300 tonearm, Audioquest cables, Quad ESL-63s and some DIY speakers + 3 subs (distributed bass)
Old 02-16-2013, 11:40 AM
First Love.... Marantz!

Thanks... never thought of looking to see when it was first posted.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 PM
AK Member

Looks like Scotty was beamed up. I've been thinking of buying the AT-OC9ML/ll myself and been curious as to how it compares to the Denon DL-301mkll I'm presently using.
Sam
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 AM
Tommy can you hear me?

I'm very curious myself. Never been a fan of AT and I got a general phobia of MC carts. My wife got an Ortofon Rondo Bronze for which we're still paying because we had to upgrade our pre-amp and get a proper step up. I'm not sorry but now we've got too many turntables (five actually - all of which are variations of the Thorens TD-160) and I need some good carts. I was thinking, naturally for me, about the Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black. I wonder how the OC9/III compares???
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 AM
AK Member

The OC9/MLIII is a clear step up from the 2M Bronze and a Concorde with a 40 stylus (basically an om40). More detail then either of those, wider/deeper soundstage, and less surface noise. It's also the best tracking cart I've ever had.

I know the MLII was accused of being overly bright but I can tell you the III is not in the least.
Audiokarma
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Tommy can you hear me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by static14 View Post
The OC9/MLIII is a clear step up from the 2M Bronze and a Concorde with a 40 stylus (basically an om40). More detail then either of those, wider/deeper soundstage, and less surface noise. It's also the best tracking cart I've ever had.

I know the MLII was accused of being overly bright but I can tell you the III is not in the least.
Great answer! Straightforward, decisive and clear. Thanks.

I will go for it just on account of this reply because the rest of the answers I got all over the world are illusive and lame and introduce more variables into the formula rather than attempt to solve it.

Cheers

Tom
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM
AK Member

Since you're in Boston you're welcome to stop by and give it a listen if you'd like!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Vintage Audio Nut

The 33EV is a fine choice as well - do some reading about both and decide which "sound" you are after...

jblnut
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 AM
More Q's than A's.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsilver View Post
I'm very curious myself. Never been a fan of AT and I got a general phobia of MC carts. My wife got an Ortofon Rondo Bronze for which we're still paying because we had to upgrade our pre-amp and get a proper step up. I'm not sorry but now we've got too many turntables (five actually - all of which are variations of the Thorens TD-160) and I need some good carts. I was thinking, naturally for me, about the Ortofon 2M Bronze or Black. I wonder how the OC9/III compares???
Yes, I also took the plunge and bought an OC9-3, after asking about it above. I then bought a Threshold Fet-10e phono preamp. (about $700 delivered, EBay) The combination of the two is jaw dropping. Iíve never heard any of my vinyl sound this good. I think the proper MC transformer will do away with the extra back ground noise, which IS a little bit audible, and give me an early entrance in to audio heaven.

What kind of step-up are you using? Iím very interested to know that. Choosing the right one without being able to audition them can get complicated. There are varying opinions on whether they should be resistance loaded etc. Right now, I am looking at the Rothwell MCL.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveThreshol View Post
Yes, I also took the plunge and bought an OC9-3, after asking about it above. I then bought a Threshold Fet-10e phono preamp. (about $700 delivered, EBay) The combination of the two is jaw dropping. Iíve never heard any of my vinyl sound this good. I think the proper MC transformer will do away with the extra back ground noise, which IS a little bit audible, and give me an early entrance in to audio heaven.

What kind of step-up are you using? Iím very interested to know that. Choosing the right one without being able to audition them can get complicated. There are varying opinions on whether they should be resistance loaded etc. Right now, I am looking at the Rothwell MCL.
At that price (700) you got just the phono stage .. ?
Audiokarma