Any Tuba players out there?

1ADSarge

Der Bürgermeister
Subscriber
Anyone on the forum an avid Tuba player? I played for 9 years. Just started college after leaving the service and am getting back into the music program. By the way, anyone know where I could get a great deal on a Tuba? Any info is appreciated!!!

! played in my high school band for four years, Marching band, symphonic, stage band and wind ensemble. If I could have afforded to buy one after I graduated (1979), I'd probably still be playing!

attachment.php

Attachments

• sousaphone.jpg
    sousaphone.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 95
That's exactly how I feel! I'm in the masters degree program at the local state college so I have a good 4.5 years left to use the colleges before I have to have my own. You can pick up a decently used one on eBay for between $1k - $1.5k. I'm hoping to have one of the King four valve forward bell tubas by next year. You should look into it. Its been maybe 14 years since I last played and I've been practicing the last month or so and most of what I learned has come back. I think the hardest part in getting your lips conditioned to play good solid tones. The joy of playing again is well worth it!

I'm not a tubist, but I sit next to the tuba section when I play my euphonium in a community band. One of the tuba players has a new Schiller horn -- made in China, 4 rotary valves, bell-up. It seems to be well made and he gets a really nice sound out of it. He says it blows well, too. The other guys in the section play vintage American horns by Conn and King.

My son plays tuba in the high school concert band and Sousaphone in marching band. We bought him a 3/4 size Amati Bb several years ago through Woodwind & Brasswind. He out grew it so we donated it to his middle school (it appraised for more than what we paid) and got him a full size Cerveny Bb w/ 4 rotary valves.

Last edited:
My sons plays tuba in the high school concert band and Sousaphone in marching band. We bought him a 3/4 size Amati Bb several years ago through Woodwind & Brasswind. He out grew it so we donated it to his middle school (it appraised for more than what we paid) and got him a full size Cerveny Bb w/ 4 rotary valves.

Ah, the Cerveny Bb w/ 4 rotary valves! My HS bought two in my Sophomore year. I played one for my remaining three years. Beautiful horn with great tone! The Sousaphone wrapped around me in my picture is an ancient Holton with a modified neck going to a Bach 22 mouthpiece that I still have.

I'd have to agree that the Cerveny Bb is a superb tuba. My high school had three of them and a couple older Bb King's. That is a nice looking sousaphone there in that picture!

Back in my day (1975-79), the Waldwick High School Marching Band was feared and respected!

1975 Part 1

1975 Part 2 Check out around :30 for the Trumpet Guilloutine, our signature bit!

That is a great HS band.

I was a member of the University of Arkansas Marching Razorback Band from 1975 to 1978. The band director was Eldon Janzen who helped pioneer the style of marching I see in your videos. The move away from rigid military style formations to the more freestyle charting that incorporates separate formations and curved lines which until around 1970 was unheard of. I do not play the tuba. In college marching band I was a bass drummer for two years and played sax the third year. My major instrument was bassoon.

If you can pick a good tuba up for $1200 to $1500 do it and start playing again. I do remember some of the tubas I saw in the various symphony orchestras I have been a member of over the years were worth a lot more than $1200.

I played Trumpet and Tuba through high school and part way through college had a baritone horn latter but my lips were not right for it I still know all the finerings.

I played Trumpet and Tuba through high school and part way through college had a baritone horn latter but my lips were not right for it I still know all the finerings.

That is a great HS band.

I was a member of the University of Arkansas Marching Razorback Band from 1975 to 1978. The band director was Eldon Janzen who helped pioneer the style of marching I see in your videos. The move away from rigid military style formations to the more freestyle charting that incorporates separate formations and curved lines which until around 1970 was unheard of. I do not play the tuba. In college marching band I was a bass drummer for two years and played sax the third year. My major instrument was bassoon.

If you can pick a good tuba up for $1200 to $1500 do it and start playing again. I do remember some of the tubas I saw in the various symphony orchestras I have been a member of over the years were worth a lot more than $1200.

Thanks for the compliment! During my tenure (under the guidance of the incomparable Laurent Gareau) we NEVER failed to win/place/show at any competition we were in. As for the Trumpet Guillotine, in all the competitions I marchen in for four years, I can't remember a single collision. These guys had the routine down cold.

I could see why you were a well respected band. Very good rhythm, music, and creativity. Well done sir. I'm glad to see so many former band member come out with their great memories of when they created music! I had a similar thing I did in school as fdrennen...playing the biggest mouthpiece and going to the smallest. For four years, I would also play the French Horn, which I very much enjoyed.

A little off topic...Please recommend some french horn vinyl as I have hard time finding same!I love me some french horn,an enchanted sound.

Tuba's are an interesting instrument. I heard the other day on the radio a song. It was from Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings. There was a tuba playing in the background. Throughout the whole song the accompanyment of the tuba made that song.

Does anyone know about that song? What's the name of it I would like to get it.

Back
Top Bottom