Marantz 2216 complete recap

x2turbo

I picked up a 2216 recently and have decided to completely recap it as a learning experience. I have a Pioneer SX-1250 that I have the parts to recap the stabilizer board and I don't want it to be my first attempt since it is in use daily in my office.

I'm new to this so hopefully I can get a little help. I'm in the process of putting a spreadsheet together for all the capacitors, transistors and diodes (C & H references). If there is anything else I should be looking at replacing please let me know.

I've finished all the capacitors, although there were a couple that I couldn't locate a suitable replacement or a value wasn't an exact match.

The spreadsheet lists the location, uF, tolerance and voltage of the original when provided in the service manual as well as the replacement part # with hyperlink and it's values. I've highlighted the mismatched values in red for easy identification.

If a voltage value was not given for the original I chose 50v as the replacement.

If someone could take a quick scan and let me know that I'm going down the right path as well as let me know if the red cells are ok or not I'd really appreciate it.

I guessing the 2216 doesn't get all the attention of some of the bigger units, but a full recap list has got to be help to others, especially ones like me that are looking for a place to start learning the process of recapping. I've put quite a few hours into this already but you have to start somewhere. I just hope it wasn't a lot of wasted time.

I'll start working on the transistors and diodes next.

I can't upload an excel file so hopefully this will work.

Excel Version
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bl8p9pu7zrc4n9t

Word Version
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6ebc3uovayu0leu

Thanks!!

You can leave all the original ceramic and film caps in there. Those are good for a long time. Only need to replace the electrolytics, and it looks like you did OK on those.

Would leave the transistors and diodes alone as long as the unit is running properly. I have a 2216 that I recapped recently, sounds great for a little guy.

I got all the electrolytics replaced this morning and performed the usually cleaning. Set the DC offset to 4.5mv per the service manual and then held my breath when I tried to play some music thru it.

set it up on a rack I had sitting around and voila!! It works!!!

There were definitely alot of caps to replace and created quite a pile. I wasn't expecting some of them being glued down either.

DSCN0421.jpg

Hooked up the aux, tape and phono functions and all work as they should. I was getting hum from the phono, but I unplugged it from the switched outlet in the 2216 and plugged it into the wall and it went away. It amazes me how much better these old receivers pull in radio stations without even having an antenna hooked up.

I have it hooked up to a pair of Precise Audio Labs speakers and I have to admit it sounds pretty damn good!!

DSCN0423.jpg

Back
Top Bottom