Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Grant Fidelity

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 PM
AK Member

TubeDAC-11 Tube Rolling Results

Attached is a TubeDAC-11 tube recommendation spreadsheet in .pdf format that summarizes results from the TubeDAC-11 tube rolling thread.

Thanks for everyones input. Enjoy !

Last edited by brother love; 03-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Grant Fidelity Forum Moderator

TubeDAC-11 Tube Rolling Results

Thanks Brother Love for getting this tube rolling results together for the TubeDAC-11, this is the sticky thread you requested and we will see if there is some other format besides PDF. Maybe this will work? :

http://webapps.stackexchange.com/que...n-a-forum-post

Cheers,
Ian

If in Calgary, please visit our Calgary Showroom and see and hear what we do
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM
AK Member

Spreadsheet updated 5/22/12 & attached to 1st post.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
AK Member

Hey Brother Love, can you give us a detailed impression of the BOLDER Cable Company DAC11 mod vs the stock DAC11's sound, please??

I've been considering this mod, though I'm not sure if its truly worth the investment just yet.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha~Josh View Post
Hey Brother Love, can you give us a detailed impression of the BOLDER Cable Company DAC11 mod vs the stock DAC11's sound, please??

I've been considering this mod, though I'm not sure if its truly worth the investment just yet.
Actually I haven't had the Bolder mods done on my TubeDAC-11. Wayne used my avatar TubeDAC-11 pic on his Bolder website w/ my blessing.

Check here for DAC-11 mod comments if you haven't already done so:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php...topic=103703.0
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
AK Member

Spreadsheet updated 10/1/12 & attached to 1st post.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the update brother, lots have told me how much they appreciate your efforts.

Cheers,
Ian

Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
AK Member

Can all the tubes on the list of Brother Love be used as replacement of 6N1 on W-30? And current 6N1 on W-30 is the same tube stock used on dac-11?

Thanks for the info.

Phil.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komoyuki View Post
Can all the tubes on the list of Brother Love be used as replacement of 6N1 on W-30? And current 6N1 on W-30 is the same tube stock used on dac-11?

Thanks for the info.

Phil.
TubeDAC-11 uses a 6N11, the W-30 uses a 6N1 for driver and pre-amp tubes, while these two tube are not really interchangeable, all the tube rolls listed for the TubeDAC-11 will work in the W-30

Cheers,
Ian

Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 PM
AK Member

Great !
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrant View Post
Thanks for the update brother, lots have told me how much they appreciate your efforts.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks Ian. You, Wolfbane, & many others have provided a boatload of valuable tube reviews for the GF TubeDAC-11. I'm glad to pay it forward ...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 AM
AK Member

Just chiming in to let y'all know I'm still really diggin' the Zaerix tube.. particularly with the HD600. What a terrific match.

I've got plenty of hours on it at this point & its mellowed out quite nicely.. while remaining very resolving. After 75-100 hours, the treble smoothed out to just the right degree. The midbass has a taut lift that's simply perfect for my tastes. This is a critical area as the HD600's native tuning has a slight boost in the same (midbass) region.. so any excessive boost can throw the HD600's balance off. The Zaerix' midbass boost actually accentuates and enhances the HD600's midbass lift. It gives the low end a soft 'bounce' that jives exceedingly well with hip hop, jazz, and soul. The Zaerix' midrange is thoroughly immersive. Clean, liquid, and dynamic.. possessing a slightly dry tone.. but positively oozes a lively, spacious presentation. Again, this synergizes well with the HD600's tonal qualities.

I might spring for the Gold Lion tube too since I'm interested in hearing it.. and some impressions might be useful for the Tube rolling thread.

I'd like to get the Boulder Cable Company mods for the TD-11, too.. anyone else have this done?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:00 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post
... I'd like to get the Boulder Cable Company mods for the TD-11, too.. anyone else have this done?
Don't know if you checked the audiocircle link that I referenced a few months ago; but things have since changed at Bolder Cable Company ... Wayne is getting out of the audio biz & going to be a brewmeister :

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108483.0

Looks like he may still be doing a few mods to fund his new endeavors (see page 3 of the latest link), but not sure if the TubeDAC-11 mods are still available or not.

His work is highly thought of, but I personally have never taken the plunge.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM

From the description of the end results of the Boulder Mod, I would go for our PC-1.5 power cable instead and save some money, and get very likely the same results. With all the features in the TubeDAC-11, I'm not very comfortable recommending the mods Boulder offers, he states he isn't testing all the features, and isn't trying all the different tubes the TubeDAC-11 is capable of using. Then the main thing is that a mod isn't a mod until it is compared to the stock unit, that is a hack

Cheers,
Ian

Old 11-02-2012, 06:30 PM
AK Member

Thanks for the heads up, Ian. I've got the PC 1.5 cord for the TD-11.. and am very happy with it. I was looking at the BCC 'hack' more out of sheer curiosity than any real disappointment with the TD-11's SQ. I'll find out more from Wayne.. if it seems worth it, I'll (take one for the team and) swing for it. I'm aware this would void any kind of warranty on the TD-11, too (but I think mine's out of it, anyways).

I said I'd hold off on any more tube rolling considering how happy I am with the Zaerix tube (that sentiment remains.. I absolutely LOVE it with the HD600), but my curiosity got the better of my wallet (again) & I've ordered the Genelex Gold Lion 6922 today. I should have it before the end of next week.
Audiokarma