SX-9000 Lamp Question

visman

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
AudioKarma has been working for me lately - I have been thinking of getting a Pioneer Receiver to relive my youth (first receiver I owned was an SX-626 - bought it new). So last Sunday at my local GW found a really nice SX-9000 - which works (at least through the headphones). It's in really nice cosmetic condition (though I didn't take any pictures before I started opening her up).:banana:

So I am giving it a good cleaning general and de-oxit - and want to replace non-working bulbs. With the help of dgwojo I have identified and ordered all required lamps.

I have looked through the threads on the SX-9000 and have not been able to find an answer to this question.

How do you replace the small indicator lamps (the ones for AM, FM, Phono, Aux and Stereo).?

I am suspecting I need to remove the dial glass to get access - it looks almost impossible from inside (see pic 3) - from underneath they are "under" a PC board - and from above they are under the dial stringer housing.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• SX-9000 3.jpg
    SX-9000 3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 161
  • SX-9000 1.jpg
    SX-9000 1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 156
  • SX-9000 2.jpg
    SX-9000 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 161
OK answered my own question and thought I would post it in case anyone else comes accross this one.

There is a little black tray (two screws) that covers the indicator bulbs (see the first picture). Remove the two screws and release the pointer lamp leads - remove the "black tray" and there they are in all their glory (see second pic). Bulbs pull straight out. Also makes two pots accessable for a nice de-Oxit bath (see third pic).

Pretty simple - can't believe I couldn't figure it out earlier.:stupid:

Attachments

• SX9000 6.jpg
    SX9000 6.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 220
  • SX9000 5.jpg
    SX9000 5.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 236
  • SX9000 4.jpg
    SX9000 4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 219
also

Thanks,

I recently picked up an SX-9000 from another AK'er.

IF yoiu need to get at the meter bulbs, you'll find them hard tro access too.
There are screws holding the dial face in. Two in front and one on the side.
Take those out and you can carefully pull the whole dial face out the front.
Its a bit tricky, you need to twist and trick it a bit, but it will come. Be careful of the dial string and reverb string/spring. You can get it out enough without hurting the strings or disconnecting them.

A note on cleaning. The tone controls are "inside", as in above a bottom board where its hard to get to with the DeOxit. With the face off, you can take the control nuts off and lift the board out and clean to your hearts content.

I'm waiting on bulbs from dgwojo. I need to change the dial pointer bulb. I can see it but haven't tried to remove it yet. Usually dial pointer bulbs can be an excersise in patience to work on.

The dial pointer bulb is a PITA - but I did manage to get it out. Take the lttle shelf I discribe above out to give you a little more room. Them remove the two screws from the back of the pointer housing - you will figure it out from there - the bulb pulls out.

lamps

Thanks again.
The dial pointer is a bit of work but not quite as bib a PITA as other units I've worked on. In fact, its pretty friendly. That may be why I like the older units, they were built pretty well. A lot of careful design and planning and thought.

picture.php

Last edited:
Got the bulbs changed out - man this is a cool display.

SX 9000 7.jpg

Well now it's time to get to the serious stuff - the AM and all FM functions work great (this little receiver sounds very good hooked up to my KLH 6's) - I am amazed at the overall tonal control - nice bass considering the recapped KLH's tend to be a little bright. The tuner on this is better than my Sansui 9090 or Fisher 800C in terms of picking up stations (I was picking up stations (in stereo) without an antenna!

Now for the bad - no Phono:tears: - tried Phono 1 and 2 - nothing but hum. I cleaned the connectors and no love. I'm sure it's something simple but I haven't found it yet.

Here are some pics (sans wood case):

Attachments

• photo 11.jpg
    photo 11.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 113
  • SX 9000 10.jpg
    SX 9000 10.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 124
Couldn't have done it without your lamp kit David - thanks for terrific and ubber fast service!

OK - finished up the SX-9000 - phono connections needed some attention and now work great.:banana:

I've read negative comments about the reverb - but I think it's cool - plus if I don't want it I just turn it off. For those that don't know there is an actual reverb tank inside the receiver (just like a guitar amp). The tone control is also cool and can be turned off - I think it's a great receiver to show what was going on at the time in terms of design and features.

Feature rich with plenty of inputs (2 phono, 2 aux and two tape) - not bad!

Here are a couple of shots of the finished product - I'm really pleased with the overall sound and build quality - this one is staying in the garage with the KLH Model 6's - nice combination (dare I say tube like).:D

Attachments

• sx9000 13.jpg
    sx9000 13.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 103
  • SX9000 14.jpg
    SX9000 14.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 92
That Pioneer SX-9000 sure is sweet looking! :music:
You did a fantastic job on replacing those bulbs, the display looks great! :tresbon:
I sure do like the vintage stuff that Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, Fisher, etc. put out back in the day. The quality, durability as well as the dependability was all there. Back then, that's when stuff was built to last! :yes:
If the chance ever arises to get a Pioneer SX-9000 I just might go for it, depending of course on price and condition. The Pioneer SX-9000 in particular because it has a uniqueness about it all on it's own, different yet appealling and that's what I look for in vintage audio gear. :D
Thanks for posting pictures and sharing, again, nice, very, very nice!:thmbsp:

I have am sx-9000, and was trying to replace a bulb that was out. Now all lamps and bulbs are out. don't know is i shorted anyting are not. I placed a known working fuse lamp in the 9000, no go. Any help on what's wrong, thanks Stanley

This is an old thread, but I hope some of you will give me some consideration. Concerning the SX9000, I am having difficulty figuring out how this dial pointer is supposed to be installed. I received the unit from the customer, noticing someone has been in there tampering with the dial pointer setup, and it was not functioning properly. It does not look like it was assembled properly. Firstly, please take a look at the attached photograph.....particularly the round red lens...does this look correct? When installed, the lens hits the inside of the dial, preventing the pointer slide from fitting all the way in. I wonder if the lens is correct? Then, there is a metal tray that is involved with this....attached, a photograph of the tray. Wondering how this fits in there, and how it's associated with the dial pointer? One more photograph, showing my guess as to the relationship of the tray and dial pointer.
If any of you have some detailed close up photos of this, I would greatly appreciate it...thanks.
John
SX9000 dial poijter and tray.JPG SX9000 dial pointer tray.JPG SX9000 dial pointer.JPG SX9000 dial poijter and tray.JPG SX9000 dial pointer tray.JPG SX9000 dial pointer.JPG

Back
Top Bottom