Speakerlab K-horns

Troma

I went to look at a pair this weekend. The tweeters were not functioning in either cabinet. Is there a simple fuse somewhere that needs to be replaced? I found it odd that the tweeters in both cabs would be blown.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 96
Anyone? How much should I pay for something like this considering the "dead" tweeters. The cabs are in decent shape and seem well constructed. The mid horns sound good. The bass cab is sealed so I wasn't able to check on the woofers. My guess is they will need refoaming.

Thanks!

Your question of worth/ value should beposted over in AK's Dollar & Sense Forum. It is not really unusual to see those T35's blown- they are delicate and probably somebody with an under powered amp went silly and blew them. You can get replacement diaphragms from "Crites" or better yet I would opt to get a pair of his CT125 replacement for a bettr tweeter all around!

The Speajerlab model of the Klipsch corner horns was pretty ambitous for them in the day. While they are a decent knock off- they ain't no K-Horns! The wood is thinner and assemply not quite as robust as the Klipsch were. I think with some extra scews and some time you could improve them to come closer to the originals. BE SURE to have the right room!! They DO need corner placement to perform as required. If you are ambitous o ahead an replace those old caps on the network.

They are good enough speakers- if priced right them show us more!!
DC

The tweeters probably blew due to the cheap capacitors used. They can be rebuilt as was said above. Speakerlab khorns are really a cheap copy of a khorn. As was said the wood is pretty thin, the crossovers as you can see are cheap. They actually have way to much bass for me. The nicest part of them is the veneer. They will also vibrate across the floor. I bought a pair for 175$ and sold them for 800$...usually what they go for.

I offered the guy $350 but he wasn't too interested. My thought was, if they were in good working order, I'd pay $500.

To those (dc270 et al) who are poo pooing speakerlab k horns: If Klipsch are so much
better, WHY DID BOB CRITES MAKE SUCH A GOOD LIVING REPLACING ALL THE COMPONENTS???

To those (dc270 et al) who are poo pooing speakerlab k horns: If Klipsch are so much
better, WHY DID BOB CRITES MAKE SUCH A GOOD LIVING REPLACING ALL THE COMPONENTS???

I thought Speakerlab used those same (replaceable) components as Klipsch used!
FWIW I do like some of the Speakerlab models, but have reapaired their corner horn model, I did make some observations in it construction vs the 9 ply marine grade wood Klipsch used. I do not think Mr. Crites made replacement wood parts for that, I could be mistaken however!

Mr. Crite improved on existing designs of others. Many people found the Klipsch just fine as it was purchased and needed no replacement/ upgrade pieces.

I admire your defence of Speakerlab Corner horn, but it was only a (near) copy of the original Klipsch K-Horn.
DC

The tweeter cap in that crossover pic looks a little suspect to me.
The end of it that you can see looks to be popped out,indicating it may be blown.

Matt.........tubeornotube

Those T-35's are not that expensive, and the xo's are easy to recap. I think more important is the condition of cabinets. If clean, I would throw in one more large bill and see if he shows interest. $700 for all working K is about what I'd pay for if I was looking for a pair.

I guarantee you that those non-polar caps are way out of spec. Use new ones and bypass with something nice.

Back
Top Bottom