Should I get an APS 9 or 13?

CarlV

Lunatic Member
Should I get an APS 9 or 13?
I will be putting up an outdoor antenna/rotor. My real object is to get around the east bay hills to receive a great stereo signal from San Jose area. I currently receive fair to acceptable mono there with indoor antenna. Everywhere else is not an issue.
I want the best possible signal but do not want to spend where it is not needed of course.
Also, 75 ohm coax or 300 ohm with an amp for the lead?
The link is to the google relef map. I live right above the l and C in El Cerrito on the map the link opens to.
Map

Thanks, Carl

I guess if you can afford it, get the 13. Also, make sure whatever you mount it on is as tall as possible, maybe even a antenna mast. I would go 75 ohm all the way with the best RG cable possible, I think there is some low loss cable, but forget the number. It comes with a ground wire attached.

Talk to Ed Hanlon at Antenna Performance who manufactures the APS13.
He would probably recommend RG-6 low-loss 75 coax which is better quality than RG-59 (which is more common) with a head unit right at the antenna. Don't use any type of headamp, some cause considerable noise. Ed has tested most and knows which are the better ones.

Carl... how far away is the transmitter?

My opinion is that if you are dealing with a distance of less than 50 miles, the maximum gain possible is not as much of a concern, and other characteristics of the antenna may be more important.

I'm thinking of issues like the antenna's ability to reject or isolate multipath signals, which might be an issue if you are dealing with nearby obstacles like highrise structure, hills, mountains, etc...

Obviously the APS13 will have higher gain, and will be slightly larger in size (and cost..).

Higher elevation on a tower or mast of some kind may be more useful than slightly more gain.

I would guess that if the distance in the 50-75 mile range, the additional gain may be worthwhile.

.... just my 2 cents.

Also, make sure whatever you mount it on is as tall as possible
I will be having a new 2nd story roof soon so I want to do this now while they are up there. I can't really walk on uneven surfaces since my work accident and basically free install is nothing to sneeze at.

I guess if you can afford it, get the 13.
Yes, but to pay double when not necessary, that is where I get cheap. :yes:

Carl

Number 9 said:
Talk to Ed Hanlon at Antenna Performance who manufactures the APS13.
He would probably recommend RG-6 low-loss 75 coax which is better quality than RG-59 (which is more common) with a head unit right at the antenna. Don't use any type of headamp, some cause considerable noise. Ed has tested most and knows which are the better ones.
Thanks, I will do that after getting some non anal and impartial opinions here.
This forum is so very great in that regard. :smoke:

Carl

Sheesh, the 13 is nearly 17' long, which, well, is a really big antenna. It's just hard for me to imagine that big of an antenna on the roof of a residence in a mom and pop residential area. That's just me, tho. I'd for sure try the smaller one and if it doesn't do what you want, someone here would buy it (like, me).

Don't forget to get waterproof F connectors for the outside. PE 090-331. Their little plastic coax stripper works pretty good too. PE 360-605.

Murray

WOW is it really that big!?!?

As for coax.... don't even think about RG-59..that is the old Cable-TV standard coax.

RG-6 should be the minimum.... it is the standard for most Satellite TV installations.

Also, Be aware that some RG-6 cable is actually made using a copper-clad steel center conductor. If possible, get the kind using a solid copper core.

CarlV said:
Thanks, I will do that after getting some non anal and impartial opinions here.
This forum is so very great in that regard. :smoke:
Carl

Of course, none of my posts are anal. :D It's the other guy's.

Murray

Edit: APS-13 photo

Last edited:
.. does that make me the anal guy? :butt1: LOL

Anyway... www.antennaperformance.com has all the details... and yes the APS-13 really is that big!!! The APS-9 is roughly half the size..

Based on size and costs, I would be leaning towards the APS-9, but it might be enlightening to hear from someone who actually owns one of these antennas to learn what kind of results they are getting.

Last edited:
Carl, I have the APS-9 on my roof; love it, and it's gone through three hurricanes with no damage.
I get stations clear across the state, even though Florida is pretty flat, that's pretty good distance just the same. The 9 is much easier on a rotor too because of the smaller size. I don't think you'll have any problem getting San Jose and beyond!
Ed makes a wonderfully strong and well built ant., and I'm glad I got mine!
Go with the recommended coax too! You'll love it. I'm using a channel master rotor w/ remote; neat to push a couple of buttons, and then tune in the "other" stations.

75 vs 300 ohms

Hi everyone.....What is the significance ,electrically, of a 75 ohms or a 300 ohms antenna when connected to a tuner. That said what would happen if a 300 ohms antenna were connected to a 75 ohms input and vice versa ?

thanks Skippy

Skippy..thanks for your recent reply regarding multiple tuner connection to a single antenna..I will give it a try ..however I am trying to learn as much as I can regarding antenna theory and practices when it comes to FM antennas

I was having some cable TV issues last summer, cable guy came out and replaced the old RG-6 with new cable and gained about 2-3 DB signal. So, that's definitely worth doing.

You don't need the APS13 if you are getting a signal at all from an indoor antenna. Units that large are for when you live further from the signal usually around 80 miles or more. If there is something blocking the signal, a larger antenna will help sometimes but not most times. In your case the biggest factor is going to be the height of the antenna. Using the APS13 for a 50 mile distance would be a waste of money. I am not the cheap type. If I though the bigger antenna would be at all worth it, I'd say go for it. But my experience growing up in the country side where big antenna like that are worth it and living in the suburbs is you don't need it. Once you mount the APS9 on the roof, since you are getting a signal with an indoor antenna, that will be more than enough. That's been the case every time when I've installed antennas.

Thanks All!
An APS 9 it is, with rotor, and RG-6 with solid copper core it is. :smoke:

I'd for sure try the smaller one and if it doesn't do what you want, someone here would buy it (like, me).
Sorry Murray, but I will tell you how well Greg Kihn's radio show comes in with
great separation. :)

Trying to figure out my best rooftop HDTV antenna option for the future.
A fixed antenna at 198 degrees is what/all I need, I will get Ed's opinion
when I order tomorrow, but all thoughts are welcome too.

Carl

Drat! I've lusted for an APS-9 but I need a TV antenna as I'm on Dish and can't get any local (even LA) channels thru Dish. Or, I gotta sign up for Time Warner cable which was dreadful when I had it years ago.

Just got notifed by RR that since I ain't got no cable tv, they're going to tack on another $5 a mo for cable modem which is already $45!/mo. No dsl where I am.

Ok, sorry for the minor hijack.

Neato deal on the APS-9 and rotator! I want one!

Murray

I have dish network and thankfully they do give local channels. Seems odd
that for 10 dollars less amonth than Comcast basic non digtal I get 50 more channels with a better picture than my cable ever had. Comcast also wants
25 dollars a month more for their DSL than the SBC, both with 100 modems,
as fast as is offered here. Bandits!
No HDTV service when I do get a set that has it though, I believe it is 50. more if I get the Comcast service that has HDTV.

Carl

I should have been more clear - the local stations here in PS aren't hooked up to Dish, likely because the market is too small and the local stations won't sign off so I can get network programming from LA or SD. So, it's over the air or cable. That's it. PBS isn't broadcast over the air here so I can get that but it's from Denver or used to be when I had it.

Every Sunday I look at the adds for hd tv's but my analog Sony is still going strong after about 8 years, so, it's hard to justify the 2.5K for a dlp.

Murray

Back
Top Bottom