sony str -v5 came in today!!!!!

billyboyJBL

it is in great shape.had a little problem with the fm stero function at first ,but the deoxit came through!!!!!yea baby . very full sound,i have it on a couple of bose 201s at the moment. lights are a little dim on both power meters,but hey,no biggie.....i know sony makes a v6 and v7 other than power are they much different?ill try and post a few photos for those who might like to see.... :thmbsp: hope these come out ok........ man this fm tuner is strong!!!!

Attachments

• sony 1.JPG
    sony 1.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 406
  • sony 2.JPG
    sony 2.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 249
  • sony 3.JPG
    sony 3.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 208
Great buy!! Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send along the 4-page color brochure from Sony which gives you quite a bit of info on this unit. Don't forget to read the sticky at the top of the Vintage Forum page and check your bias and offset. And bulbs wear out over time, even if they aren't burned out. New bulbs will be much brighter. Check with AK member dgwojo for bulbs.

Other than power, it is very similar. 5-gang tuner, etc. Is actually my favorite from the STR-Vx series. But, you might want better speakers. :D The STR-V5 deserves them.

oldmarantz - sorry, am not sure what that receiver is, but it ain't no STR-V3. What is that letter/number after the 3? Perhaps an STR-V3x? I can't quite make it out in your photo.

Here is a pic of an STR-V3. This one is as mint as they come.

And, what the hell. As long as we are posting this series here is its big brother, the STR-V7. Also near mint.

Attachments

• STR-V7.jpg
    STR-V7.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Yes you re right this one is exactly a STR-V3L the european version with LW and 5 FM preset stations...

Pretty nifty! Must be a few years later than the STR-Vx series. My favorite tuner is the ST-J75, which is Sony's first digital and has presets. Wonder if they share any technology (just wondering outloud)? Also, appears that the STR-V3L has a shortwave band. Something one almost never saw on a stateside receiver. The STR-V3 puts out a nice 35wpc. How about the STR-V3L? Looks very nice.

yamaha b-2 ,love that v7!!!!!marantz ,i have the 2240b,2252,2270 with wood case and my wonderful 2275,love them all!!! b-2 ,i hooked up new test speakers just for you :thmbsp: .......thats a bit of a tale ,i find these oh so much better as well :D . thanks for the four page info offer. bill.

Attachments

• sony jbl1.JPG
    sony jbl1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 188
yamaha b-2 , i stumbled across a cr-1000 about two weeks a go,thought about its purchase for about 2 minutes and picked it up . man ,what a precise sounding just flat out beautiful piece of work!!!had to get use to the slide controls and at first the fm would not go above 99 on the dial.i opened it up and freeded a wire attached to the dial indicator. man ,is that cab packed tight :jawdrop: a super sweet unit ,i use it with my jbl 4412s and l50s and it pushes them like a champ.....about a month back a yamaha 3020 or 3040 (not sure on the last two numbers) was bidding just below me in ga ,so i could have done a local pick . the price lost me :no: ....i think that sucker is over 80lbs....do you know much about them? regards bill.

Believe you are close on the CR-3020. Think it is 79 pounds. And there was not CR-3040. Stopped at the CR-3020 (160wpc), CR-2020 (100wpc) and CR-2040 (100wpc). Believe one of the later Yamaha stereo receivers was 125wpc, but I don't really follow their receivers after the CR-xx40 series. All of the CR-xx00, CR-xx20 and CR-xx40 receivers are terrific units. Have that great Yamaha sound. If you do a search of the vintage forum for these particular models you will find quite a bit of info on them. And, go here for their manuals: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.php IMHO the Yamaha and Sony vintage receivers are the class of the field.

Welcome Billyboy, and thanks for the pics. A blast from the past. I bought an STR-V5 as my first reciever in Germany in '78. Had it hooked up to a pair of Bose 301's in an attic apartment in Wildflecken, the landlord couldn't speak englishm, and I didn't understand German, but I realised he didn't care for Nazareth. :D

thanks strawman,were you able to bring the v5 home with ya? sounds like the german brother ,in a sonicway,got the meaning of love hurts!!! lol man i loved that tune :D

Yamaha B-2 said:
oldmarantz - sorry, am not sure what that receiver is, but it ain't no STR-V3. What is that letter/number after the 3? Perhaps an STR-V3x? I can't quite make it out in your photo.

Here is a pic of an STR-V3. This one is as mint as they come.

And, what the hell. As long as we are posting this series here is its big brother, the STR-V7. Also near mint.

Yep, the STR-V7 is next on my list. Eager to have it keep the STR-7800SD company!

Yamaha B-2 said:
Pretty nifty! Must be a few years later than the STR-Vx series. My favorite tuner is the ST-J75, which is Sony's first digital and has presets. Wonder if they share any technology (just wondering outloud)? Also, appears that the STR-V3L has a shortwave band. Something one almost never saw on a stateside receiver. The STR-V3 puts out a nice 35wpc. How about the STR-V3L? Looks very nice.

The STR-V3L is less powerful I measured mine at 28W rms and it was given for 28w :yes: it was made in the 78-79 the performance are not terrible but it sounds good.I found this week a nice Tuner STR-5950SD My god this one is a real keaper built like a tank and I was surprised it sounds very good :thmbsp:
here is pic of the inside and pic of this beautiful str-5950 :banana:

Last edited:
The V3(L) was a late addition to the V5 /V6 /V7 series, along the V2, V1 and V4(L), but not that late: late '78 / early '79. All transitional and not available for very long.
Not sure if these (V1 > V7) were distributed in Japan.

The ST-5950SD is a terrific tuner. You can go here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ and go down the list on the lefthand side of the page to Sony and then down the list of Sony gear and read a bit about it. From the same era as the STR-Vx series of receivers and the TOTL at the time. Nice find!!

billyboyJBL said:
thanks strawman,were you able to bring the v5 home with ya? sounds like the german brother ,in a sonicway,got the meaning of love hurts!!! lol man i loved that tune :D

No, I left it there, kind of sad, but I had to sell it to be able to buy aMarantz 1180DC amp and Kenwood KT-7550 tuner. I don't have either of those anymore.

Yamaha B-2 said:
The ST-5950SD is a terrific tuner. You can go here http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/ and go down the list on the lefthand side of the page to Sony and then down the list of Sony gear and read a bit about it. From the same era as the STR-Vx series of receivers and the TOTL at the time. Nice find!!

Yes terrific is the word :) It was a big surprise cause I m not particulary a Sony Fan when I saw it I smelt it was the good one :yes:
Well built good sound and good look (5 gangs cv)

oldmarantz said:
I found this week a nice Tuner STR-5950SD My god this one is a real keaper built like a tank and I was surprised it sounds very good :thmbsp:
Nice find, congratulations. I'm sure it sounds great, my 4950 certainly does. Wouldn't mind having a 5950 myself but they tend to bring a real price premium over the 4950, and there isn't all that much difference between them.

Sony's "ES II" lineup, aka 1975...1978, aka 1st gen' V-Fets, STR-7800/6800/5800, aka ST-5950/4950, aka PS-8750/6750, aka TC-880-2 (and others) is the most coherent of all of Sony's production and highly underrated - the 5950 tuner is a very good example of that.
Now, wait 'til you bump into the other Sony gems, earlier or later than the above, and you're in for quite a treat!

Back
Top Bottom