Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Audiokarma will be offline March 7th and 8th


Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Dollars and Sense


We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM
g-man02tii g-man02tii is offline
G-Man, SLO County
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 65
Pioneer SX-1980 in Craigslist

Not mine, no affiliation, etc...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/3961058336.html

Wow, that's pricey but then again, you don't see a SX-1980 on every corner either. Contact the seller for more info.
__________________
Yamaha MX-800/CX-800/Sansui TU-717/
AR-11/Thorens TD-115
Spare: JVC A-X5/Denon PMA-750/Kenwood KT-7300/Technics SU-V707 & ST-S707/Yamaha T-70 (all 110/220)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2013, 12:42 AM
VintagePlus's Avatar
VintagePlus VintagePlus is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ladysmith BC
Posts: 2,489
That's alot of coin....would hope it is totally mint for that kind of price.
__________________
Pioneer SX 1980 - Copland CSA 14 - Harbeth SHL5/Cherry - Sonos Connect


www.instagram.com/vintageplusaudio
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 AM
pustelniakr's Avatar
pustelniakr pustelniakr is offline
Silver Miner at Large
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,676
There is a price threshold, where you are risking too much green for the piece. This one is one, unless you will be happy with a pricey paper-weight. Even a fully restored one is a risk at this price point. It is over 35 years old. There is alot of potential for failure, with many components made of unobtainium.

Enjoy,
Rich P
__________________
Quote:
If we don't listen to His voice, He is quite able to raise it.
R' Ariel b Yochanan, 5773 <------That's me
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2013, 05:58 AM
motorstereo's Avatar
motorstereo motorstereo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,100
For that kinda money I'd be thinking vintage Mac separates.
__________________
1.mcIntosh c33, mr80, mcd7000, mc2500, a.l. 1000va transformer,modded polk sda 1.2tl's, mogami ic's
2.sansui g971, bozak concert grands
3.grant td 11, onkyo 508, ads 1230
4.avionic yamaha c4+m4, talon khorus
5.nad 7080 mcIntosh ml1c
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 AM
markthefixer's Avatar
markthefixer markthefixer is offline
ESCAPED:armed & dangerous
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bensenville,Illinois
Posts: 19,063
Don't hope for mint, hope for a full all-out restoration. At that level, have them prove it.

There are only a few parts that are totally unobtanium, most of the rest can be worked around. (power output transistors, pa1002a's)

Quite frankly that price level's an EchoWars / Punker X (tuner work) 1980 or a markthefixer 1980 (I do full tuner resto's and alignments, EW sends it to Mike..., )

Also with many many little extras done that are quite time consuming - like removing all the switches for either mechanical or ultrasonic cleaning, NOT just deoxiting.... Getting the tuning cap cleaned up to be totally mechanically noiseless, and minimally microphonic (I ain't tellin how I do it or test for it... but it's part of my rave tuner reviews.) More than 200 parts are replaced....

NON-WORKING sx-1980 fixer uppers have been going around 1000.00 for quite a while.

working units are about 1600 - 1800 if they haven't been serviced

then serviced is 2500+, no BS. with well restored units going OVER 3200, recently...
__________________

Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.

Last edited by markthefixer; 07-27-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM
pustelniakr's Avatar
pustelniakr pustelniakr is offline
Silver Miner at Large
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by markthefixer View Post
Don't hope for mint, hope for a full all-out restoration. At that level, have them prove it.

There are only a few parts that are totally unobtanium, most of the rest can be worked around. (power output transistors, pa1002a's)

Quite frankly that price level's an EchoWars / Punker X (tuner work) 1980 or a markthefixer 1980 (I do full tuner resto's and alignments, EW sends it to Mike..., )

Also with many many little extras done that are quite time consuming - like removing all the switches for either mechanical or ultrasonic cleaning, NOT just deoxiting.... Getting the tuning cap cleaned up to be totally mechanically noiseless, and minimally microphonic (I ain't tellin how I do it or test for it... but it's part of my rave tuner reviews.) More than 200 parts are replaced....

NON-WORKING sx-1980 fixer uppers have been going around 1000.00 for quite a while.

working units are about 1600 - 1800 if they haven't been serviced

then serviced is 2500+, no BS. with well restored units going OVER 3200, recently...
Mark,

Working around unavailable parts is essentially a re-design task. That, and fixing what is broke, or what will break in the future, does not intimidate you or me. However, someone buying one of these units needs to be able to count the true and potential cost up front. One-way shipping across the country for repair is over $100, one way. Plus the risk of shipping damage.

Someone who pays thousands of dollars for a receiver, does not want to spend hundreds or thousands more to bring it up to speed. If they are willing, at least they won't be going in blind. These are rare and fine beasts, but the risks with them are high, especially for the non-tech. That is the reason for my input.

Enjoy,
Rich P
__________________
Quote:
If we don't listen to His voice, He is quite able to raise it.
R' Ariel b Yochanan, 5773 <------That's me
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM
slow_jazz's Avatar
slow_jazz slow_jazz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Michigan, Downriver....
Posts: 12,293
Unless you know the unit your taking a big risk.

For 1/2 that money there are much better items...
__________________
Pioneer SX-1250, Pioneer SX-D7000, Pioneer SA-9900, Pioneer PL-550 turntable, Pioneer CTF-9191, Pioneer SX-5580, Yamaha CR-2040, jbl 030 speakers, Toshiba HD screen tv, Samsung hd841 dvd player.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 AM
janikphoto's Avatar
janikphoto janikphoto is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,933
Wow! I was expecting to see $1500, not $2700! I'd be thinking about a Marantz 2500 or some McIntosh gear, as stated above...
__________________
Proud owner of:
JBL L220's
Bozak 302a's
Dynaco ST-70 tube amp
Pair of Eico HF-12 tube amps
a/d/s L710's
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Rick Vestal's Avatar
Rick Vestal Rick Vestal is online now
Have a nice day and duck!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,839
I have a rule, even for a $20 item, let alone $2700, and that rule is... NO PICTURE, NO PURCHASE! If you want my money, you sure as hell can take 13 seconds and shoot a photo...
__________________

"It's all about placement. The HPM sounds best placed face down. If the room won't allow that placing them in a room you're not in works well." -Tom Brennan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM
janikphoto's Avatar
janikphoto janikphoto is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Vestal View Post
I have a rule, even for a $20 item, let alone $2700, and that rule is... NO PICTURE, NO PURCHASE! If you want my money, you sure as hell can take 13 seconds and shoot a photo...
hmmm... some of my best scores have been because there was no picture.
__________________
Proud owner of:
JBL L220's
Bozak 302a's
Dynaco ST-70 tube amp
Pair of Eico HF-12 tube amps
a/d/s L710's
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.



Friends of Audiokarma
We appreciate your help in keeping this site going.
Sonic Craft
Hudson Valley Hi Fi
Okki Nokki
Organ Donor Parts
Capacitor World
Parts Connexion
Vintage Home Audio
Take Five Audio
Wargos Electronics
Audience AV
Sonneteer
Simply Speakers
Sound Stage Direct
Howard Products
AudioClassics
FM DX Antenna
The Tube Store
Many Moons Audio
Musical Paradise
Yesterday's Audio
McIntosh Cabinets
DeWick Repairs
BOI Audio Works
Politicalchat.org
Amplifiedparts
Audio Doctor
RSL Speakers
Videokarma.org
MCM Electronics
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2002-2014 AudioKarma.org, All rights reserved.