Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Speakers

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 PM
AK Member

Need info on 1970's Cerwin Vega speakers

My mother received my late Uncle's stereo system after he passed in April 1981, unfortunately our family dog chewed the speakers up to the point where they had to be disposed of. I will attach a picture I found on the internet that shows the exact speaker I'm seeking information on. My brother swears the sub-woofer was a 12" and I'm having a hard time finding a model type for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to find a replacement pair for my mom as a gift as this is the 33 anniversary of his passing. If by some miracle anyone has any leads about these speakers for sale, I would be very interested in that info as well Thank you all in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 147842-cerwin_vega_hed_u12_speakers.jpg (207.9 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGonzo View Post
My mother received my late Uncle's stereo system after he passed in April 1981, unfortunately our family dog chewed the speakers up to the point where they had to be disposed of. I will attach a picture I found on the internet that shows the exact speaker I'm seeking information on. My brother swears the sub-woofer was a 12" and I'm having a hard time finding a model type for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to find a replacement pair for my mom as a gift as this is the 33 anniversary of his passing. If by some miracle anyone has any leads about these speakers for sale, I would be very interested in that info as well Thank you all in advance!
It's a Cerwin Vega HED U-12, had a pair in the late 70's for a couple of weeks, found they had a large hole in the mid-range, $400/pair. Huge amounts of bass, great rock speaker. Returned them for a pair of Acoustic Research AR-12's, $500/pair, much better sound, gave them to my brother many yrs ago. Saw a pair of HED U-103's on the bay, three way system with a 10" woofer, would probably have a more balanced sound than the HED U-12. Just noticed it's only one speaker, too bad as it's only $35 and looks pristine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HED-...item2c7eb6466c

Hope this helps.

Martin

Last edited by Kingshead; 04-11-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 PM
AK Member

Thank you

I deeply appreciate your response and help, so my search is for the "U-12" Cerwin Vega...got it. I'm sure there are other C-V speakers with better quality sound. I've done a great deal of research on the brand and they do make some amazing speakers. My particular needs fall into the "sentimental value" criteria though...more so than quality I did find some U-10's on ebay, but unfortunately they are not willing to ship them at this time. Thank you again for your help and for the model information, I know they are out there...now to just find a pair
Old 04-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGonzo View Post
I deeply appreciate your response and help, so my search is for the "U-12" Cerwin Vega...got it. I'm sure there are other C-V speakers with better quality sound. I've done a great deal of research on the brand and they do make some amazing speakers. My particular needs fall into the "sentimental value" criteria though...more so than quality I did find some U-10's on ebay, but unfortunately they are not willing to ship them at this time. Thank you again for your help and for the model information, I know they are out there...now to just find a pair
If you find a pair of U-123's it will be the same speaker with a mid added.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Professor

These look very close, free shipping but the price looks to high to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1980...T%26ao%3D1%26a

Better price, same speaker.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERWIN-VEGA-...item3a8e976dbf

Even better price. These look so much like the one you pictured, could these actually be the ones you remember? If so I see lots of these D-2's offered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Cerw...item1c3ee9943b
Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 PM
AK Member

D Model

I had actually looked into these speakers as an option, we do have some pictures of his system with the speakers, I will post the picture I have but I warn you it is of LOW quality as it was sent as a text. I think it shows that it must be the U-10 or U-12 though due to the space between the bottom of the sub-woofer and the floor. Again, I apologize for the eye-crossing picture I'm about to upload
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture of Stereo speaker at our House.jpg (22.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Professor

Definitely not the D2, most likely the U-12 but look to be painted black in the pic.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:13 AM
AK Member

Yes, that threw me off at first! My older youngest brother swears they were Cerwin Vega though with 12 inch sub-woofers. We don't know if my Uncle bought them used or stained them himself....but yep, the speakers are black.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:24 AM
Professor

http://www.pandahi.com/1020299929.html
Ad is six months old but hasn't been pulled so might still be available.
Here's a pair for sale, one tweeter not working, not sure about shipping.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:28 AM
How Much Gear Do U Need?!

GGonzo, welcome to AK Guys, putting all those eBay links in this thread will get it moved to the Dollars and Sense forum as sale links are not allowed in the Speakers forum. CV had black speakers along side their wood veneer ones, well vinyl veneer I think on the U series, but could be wrong. There were many sold so keep looking and I'm sure you will find a pair, or a close matching pair. Also, just getting the terms straight what your referring to as "Subwoofers" are actually called "Woofers". Not a big deal but someone may comment, so this will head them off .

Good luck in your search and what a great gift idea for your mom

Living Room-JVC AX-R551 Int Amp/Nakamichi 480/Sony CA70ES/Akai GX-265D/Pro-Ject RM1.3/Polk Monitor 10B
Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Mad Scientist

IF/When you locate a set that fits your needs, be aware that the foam surrounds on those old CV speakers will need to be replaced.

They ALL get old and brittle and even if they seem OK, they will not last long with use.

Refoaming is not difficult but there is a little skill and courage involved.

Favorite Quote: "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM
AK Member

will do! thanks so much for your help
Old 04-14-2014, 01:33 PM
AK Member

Thanks! Sorry about all the links...everyone has been so amazingly helpful. I sent a few emails out to individuals selling the speakers and hopefully the universe can make something happen. Sure would be sweet timing, that's for sure
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM
AK Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhagstrom View Post
IF/When you locate a set that fits your needs, be aware that the foam surrounds on those old CV speakers will need to be replaced.

They ALL get old and brittle and even if they seem OK, they will not last long with use.

Refoaming is not difficult but there is a little skill and courage involved.
Ain't that the truth.

The urethane surrounds are lightweight and very flexible, but rarely last more than 10-15 years.

I have a pair of U-123s (bought in high school) which need refoaming. Just about any speaker of that vintage will, and you're better off doing it yourself than getting someone else's mistakes.

I called Cerwin last year about this and the tech said Cerwin gave up trying to compete with Chinese import surrounds and now referred everyone to Orange County Speaker (aka SpeakerRepair.com).

No connection, even as a customer. I haven't ordered mine yet so I can't give you a review.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Professor

According to some of their sales literature, some models came with butyl rubber surrounds, the HED series was one of these. Not sure where I read this, it was when researching replacement speakers for your mother. So if you are able to find a replacement pair of HED U-12's and this is the case then there's a good chance the woofer surrounds will be fine.

Last edited by Kingshead; 04-14-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Audiokarma