RichPA builds a Dynakit!

RichPA

Don't drive angry
Subscriber
Hi, guys - as a few of you know, I took the plunge and bought a new ST-35 kit from http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/ My UPS guy brought it today, and I thought I'd start a thread to post my progress. So far, I've mostly unpacked it :) May be a few days before I can actually get started (damn, work gets in the way of a hobby sometimes), but I will try to post pics as I go - if you see me doing anything really stupid, please speak up! :)

Attachments

• dynakitsbox.jpg
    dynakitsbox.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 332
  • dynakitsbox2.jpg
    dynakitsbox2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 315
  • dynakitparts.jpg
    dynakitparts.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 746
  • dynakit1.jpg
    dynakit1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 419
can you post scans of the circuit boards? that'd be pretty sweet. :banana: unless you've already populated them of course... :sigh: :tears:

Nice! Did you get a cage? Looks like JJs for the small signal tube, what kind of EL84s did ya get? It's nice when you have all the chassis work pre-fabricated, isn't it! :yes: Very cool, I'll be watching with interest!

Ha! Deja Vu all over again.....

Heck, just looking at the pictures of the open box with all those parts brought back fond memories of my Heathkit building days. What's most memorable for me is that anticipation as you pull all the parts out of the box, unwrap them and go down the list of parts, checking them off.

For those of who have never had the chance to build from a kit, it is worth the effort for the experience - not the technical experience but the real thrill of the moment when you turn the power on and the thing comes to life.

My first experience was as a 10th grader with a Heathkit short wave radio. Everyone has their own 'first time', I'm sure.

I've spent some time at their site, BTW, and they certainly look to have replicated the DynaKit experience pretty closely.

Cheers,

David

Yeah, unpacking the box is always fun! Anticipation, excitement, discovery - try to hang on to that as construction progresses! Good Luck, Rich!

Step 2: Gather tools, read manuals, check parts lists :)

Step 3: Write to manufacturer for missing capacitor :sigh:

Good find and good lesson to check the parts list. It would have been even more frustrating if you were in the middle of the build and couldn't find the cap...and you'd be checking all over the bench and on the deck and...

Step 3: Write to manufacturer for missing capacitor

damn rich that must suck :thumbsdn: not a very good start .i wonder where qc is at that place.hopefully they send one out right away so you can get the build underway.

Rick had a similar issue with a missing resistor in his bottlehead preamp kit. If you ask me for the prices you pay for some of these kits they ought to send extras not leave you short. I mean how much would it hurt their bottom line to chuck a few spares of resistors or caps in the box.

Mike

I mean how much would it hurt their bottom line to chuck a few spares of resistors or caps in the box.

i'm sure not by much but if the quality control was there you wouldnt have to worry about missing parts.

i dont know how the qaulity control was back in the 50's and 60's when kits were plentiful but for a company starting up and reprodcuing kits nowadays it don't help the reputation by having parts missing.just my .02 cents.

Well, stuff happens. I got a very nice reply to my email reporting the missing part, about an hour and half after I sent it, promising to send the part today. That's pretty good service, and I think it is a good omen for future responsiveness should I need it.

Hopefully that'll be the only stumble you run into Rich... I'm waiting with baited breath to see your progress over time. Good luck buddy, tis' a cool project!

Progress report

Still waiting on the missing part, but getting started - finished one driver board so far this afternoon. Pics below, L to R are

1. My makeshift workspace - note laptop placed to view the color pic of the driver board from the Dynakits web site
2. The parts (in their envelopes, nicely labeled by the manufacturer) laid out in a box to keep me from spreading them all over the desk
3. Just getting started on the boards
4. Finished driver board, top view
5. Finished diver board, bottom view

No big deal, I know, by the standards of some of the real DIYers on this site, but I'm having fun :banana:

Attachments

• workspace.jpg
    workspace.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 426
  • partsbox1.jpg
    partsbox1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 399
  • dynaboard0.jpg
    dynaboard0.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 392
  • dynaboard1.jpg
    dynaboard1.jpg