audio-technica AT155LC Cart

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
I just recieved a TT with an apparently nice audio-technica AT155LC cart, and a matching audio-technica magnesium headshell. The cart appears to need a new stylus.

The cart is a quality-looking gold body cart.

Is either, or both, of these items any good? Should I invest in a new stylus, or just pitch this set into my old cart box?

I found a brand new replacement stylus (original equipment), at a price: $199

Rich P

I have been an AT-155LC user since late '80s. One of the best in my collection of carts, comparable with, or even better than my old Shure V15 type 4.

This is one of the finest cartridges that Audio-Technica ever made. You are fortunate to have one. Treat it with loving care.

Fred Longworth

Fred Longworth said:
This is one of the finest cartridges that Audio-Technica ever made. You are fortunate to have one. Treat it with loving care.

Fred Longworth
Where can I get an original stylus for less than $199?

Rich P

Rich P what did you do?

Rich P.

Have you done anything with the AT155LC yet?...just curious as I am in the same boat and was wondering what you ended up doing...

Andrew

Mr. Snoid said:
Rich P.

Have you done anything with the AT155LC yet?...just curious as I am in the same boat and was wondering what you ended up doing...

Andrew
Have not acted on this one yet, since the stylus is so pricey. I need to turn some more gear before I have the green for a speculative investment like this. I normally offer Benz Micro MC Silver carts with my turntables, so I am not in a hurry...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Mr. Snoid said:
Rich P.

Andrew
Well...I decided to spring for the OEM stylus for the AT155LC. It is just too nice a cart to leave in the old carts box (go a lot of them in there). I also bought an OEM stylus for the original HO MC cart that Pioneer supplied with the PL-L800 Tangential Tracking turntable (I just acquired that). Both styli are quite pricey, but I want to offer them on my next PL-630 turntable offerings.

I will let you know how it goes...

Enjoy,
Rich P

I am near the end of a full-up PL-630 TT restoration. I have installed the AT155LC, with the brand-new OEM stylus. I'm currently listening to some Chick Corea (My Spanish Heart). My initial impressions are very good indeed. However, I won't know how she really sounds until I get the cosmetics done on this table, and get her installed in my main rig.

At the moment the unit is still nude, and running on my bench rig, consisting of a full Yamaha 85 set (M-85, C-85, T-80), and a little set of Polk R15 speakers. While the speakers are impressive little suckers, they are not a triple-stack of HPM-100s. I should know more tomorrow evening.

By the way, can anybody tell me what loading the cart likes (47K, 330pF or 47K,220pF)? Also, what is the operating range for the tracking weight? Does she like a flat VTA, or slightly tail down, or what?

Enjoy,
Rich P

OK...Here are my impressions of the Audio-Technca AT-155LC cart. Remember, I have just installed a brand new, original stylus:

• Full, open, and effortless bottom end. Low end transient response is excellent (nice and tight)

• High end is bright, crisp and clear, without pushing itself on you. No apparent harshness

• Mids show nice presence and detail

• Nicely balanced across the full spectrum, with no apparent peaks or valleys

• Imaging with this cart is superb...the apparent stage is wider than my speakers are separated, no holes, and there is nice 3D imaging (I can't wait to compare this aspect with the boss so far for me, Benz Micro MC Silver)
Up till now, the Shure V15-IV was the nicest sounding MM cart I had heard on my PL-630 tables, with the V15-V running a close second (Yes I like the IV better than the V). I'm afraid that the AT-155LC walks away from both of them, taking a firm lead. I will reserve judgement on how the cart compares against the Benz Micro MC Silver, which is my favorite cart on the PL-630 table, until I have a 2nd PL-630 up, with the Benz installed. I want to do some head to head testing. It takes so long to set up the table for the Benz, I will lose my mental reference otherwise, as the Benz is pretty finicky about setup.

Bottom line: The investment in the new stylus for the vintage AT-155LC cart was well worth it. I was hesitant, as styli for this cart are rather pricey. I will post results of the head to head test against the Benz, when have them...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Great report Rich :yes: ...looks like a new styli could be in my future...BTW would you mind sharing where you got the styli and any set up info that you used on the cart...oh and one more thing what type of tone arm does the 630 have?

gosh can you tell this makes my day...thanks a

Oh, big deal. :D

No, actually the cost of the JICO SAS stylus for the V15-IV costs almost the same, so if it sounds as good as you say, it's worth it to pick up a used AT155 and get the stylus.

And, of course, the PL-630 is certainly a gem.

AT-155LC and Shure V15 IV costs

"the cost of the JICO SAS stylus for the V15-IV costs almost the same"

I recently noticed that the diamand tip on my Shure V15 Type IV is canted (the cantilever is not bent the tip seems like it has moved slightly in it's socket) at an angle of about 10 degrees. The cartridge still sounds fine but I am worried that I may damage some records. The balance is off a bit and the left channel is louder. I don't know if it's possible to fix the tip of the stylus without breaking it instead, so I've been looking/shopping for replacement candidates.

What is the JICO SAS sylus for the V15-IV? An after market stylus? Is it HE or MR tip style? I really hate to lose the use of that cartridge. I have not seen any aftermarket with MR tip.

For replacements I am considering the AT-155LC or its brother the AT140LC because it's half the price. Also looking at goldring, ortofon, and denon as possibilities.

What's the best price anyone has seen and where to get it for the AT-155LC. Any suggestions will help. What I really want is the experience I have had with the Shure of listening to music, sweet and pure, without feeling like I am listening to a cartridge.....

JICO manufactures the aftermarket SAS stylus, which is their version of the MR. If you do a search in the forums on JICO you'll discover many people who are very satisfied. Many think it's even better than the original Shure MR.

http://www.export-japan.com/marketi...=1049&osCsid=384a6f37f2135351a519bb8e9a20cf6d

JICO also makes a stylus that fits both the AT-155LC and 140LC. It is not as exotic as the original 155LC stylus, but it is line contact and sounds great, IMO.

http://www.export-japan.com/marketi...d=111&osCsid=384a6f37f2135351a519bb8e9a20cf6d

You can also buy an AT-440ML or just its stylus and use that stylus in either cart as well.

A genuine at155lc is a fine stylus but there is a scam going on. People are taking the mount and stylus guard and mounting an inferior generic 208-dex astatic cantilever and non jewel quality diamond as well as many other people and ebay sellers. Be careful! There aren't many GENUINE at155lc out there anymore and a generic cantilever does not sound anything like the genuine at styli!
Beware!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom