Pioneer S-1010 speakers

kfa888

Addicted Member
I'm getting a set of free Pioneer S-1010's tomorrow. Very limited info on the net and on AK about these but it looks like a few have had them and some mention they are the best Pioneer ever built. These were bought over seas and have been all over the world. Surprisingly they are in great shape other than the surrounds and it has a cracked passive cone which sux but I figure something up for that. With today's high tech epoxies why could you not just glue the fancy cone back together as it is a passive. Is that a possibility?

Beryllium ribbon tweeter, 4" mid, 10" cast frame (HPM type) woofer and a 14" passive radiator.

i have not seen them in person but he says they are HUGE. From the looks of the 14" passive and how small the 10" woofer looks I'm guessing over 3 feet tall.

Any specs would be much appreciated.

s-1010.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, you really need those dontcha? I would put a patch on the back side of the passive cone and glue it up. Should preserve the cosmetics a bit more that way.

macaltec said:
Yeah, you really need those dontcha? I would put a patch on the back side of the passive cone and glue it up. Should preserve the cosmetics a bit more that way.

No but for free I'm sure not going to pass them up. I'm getting them from the original owner who paid like $1200 for them in the early 80's. He said these things will rock my world :scratch2: whatever :D

that was my plan on the passive.

YEs, that "S" series followed the second iteration of the HPM line.
IIRC, they use the same "graphite modulus" cone material. The cones are very light and stiff, but are brittle and fragile and there are only a couple of cones left (search here, an AKer searched high and low for some cones and finally found some at a shop in FLA, again, IIRC).
They should be a very fine sounding speaker system.

Last edited:
Anyone know where I migth get 14" foams for the passives?

Also does anyone have specs for this speaker? I'm guessing the ribbon tweeter is nothing like the HPM100 or my HPM900's?

K

Kelly,

I was going to suggest splicing a 15" surround to fit the passive as someone had in another thread. I would investigate the 10" woofer as well. When I refoamed my HPM 900 a standard 12" foam was actually too small. I ended up stretching it and thus have an uneven roll all the way around. It works/sounds fine but upon close investigation it is noticeable.

Well I just rolled in with them. They are freaking huge. Very heavy as well. Remind me of my AR-90's. In real good shape other than both passives are broke but i believe reparable (epoxy) and needing new foam. Looking forward to hearing these after seeing the build quality and SIZE.

Also scored some more Maggies, this time SMGa's. Need the tweeter repair mod like I did to my MGII's but that's just labor.

I have been doing well keeping away from buying speakers as I have reached full saturation point but that obviously does not stop me from getting nearly free speakers. The Maggies were a great deal as well from a local AKer, he grabbed them and held them for me. Nice.

Pix...

pict0686.jpg

Those are AR-90's behind them.

pict0687.jpg

Next to my ADS L730

pict0689.jpg

Kelly,
You are going to really like those. Much better than the HPM 100s or 900s! Sold for $1650 a pair back in the day. I found a pair of these a few years back and sold them to a friend. He had Gordon re-cone the passives because they were all broken up. From what I remember, they are around 85 to 90 lbs each. He has his hooked up to a Pioneer SA-9800 integrated and quit buying audio gear completely after putting that set up together.

Retro

Retro Stereo said:
Kelly,
You are going to really like those. Much better than the HPM 100s or 900s! Sold for $1650 a pair back in the day. I found a pair of these a few years back and sold them to a friend. He had Gordon re-cone the passives because they were all broken up. From what I remember, they are around 85 to 90 lbs each. He has his hooked up to a Pioneer SA-9800 integrated and quit buying audio gear completely after putting that set up together.

Retro

I have 900's and borrowed a distant neighbors woofers for a week to see what they were supposed to sound like and liked them quite a bit. A lot better then the HPM100's IMHO. I'm hoping for big things with these. i could not pass them up for free.

Minty SX-1010 is the baddest amp I have.

Last edited:
WOW, nice build quality

OK, so I yanked the drivers today and am stunned by the build quality. Both the cab and drivers seem to be a very high end effort.

First the cab, very well braced, veneer on both sides WTF?, 1 inch thick baffle board that is highly braced. they used the 14.5 and 10" cutouts to brace the sides and back. Mid and tweeter are routed and recessed so to avoid baffle diffraction. Amazing quality construction.

86587312-L.jpg

86587327-L.jpg

86587339-L.jpg

Crossover and L-pads:

Crossover looks very robust and neat...

86587301-L.jpg

this one is for the woofer only...

86587401-L.jpg

Also the wiring is very large.

L-pads are freaking huge and one has heat sing fins on it...

86587392-L.jpg

Drivers...

Big HPM like cast frame woofer...

86587259-L.jpg

Cast frame Passive radiator with wire spring spider

86587439-L.jpg

Mid is very nice looking, treated cloth looking surround and graphite cone with huge magnate

86587289-L.jpg

And that "ribbon" tweeter might actually be the real thing. Note size and transformer

86587348-L.jpg

86587376-L.jpg

WooHoo!! I'm in awe - eyes wide and mouth agape! And you got those for FREE !?! With those components and that construction, I'm experiencing severe envy. Thanks are in order for your pics. You simply MUST provide us with a follow-up on how they sound.

David

Snapper said:
WooHoo!! I'm in awe - eyes wide and mouth agape! And you got those for FREE !?! With those components and that construction, I'm experiencing severe envy. Thanks are in order for your pics. You simply MUST provide us with a follow-up on how they sound.

David

Will do. Just got off the phone with my foam guy and it look like I might have to do a little splice on the odd ball 14.5 passive. I should have the surrounds and these up and running by the weekend with any luck.

Yes, free. popped up on CL for $25, I called the guy and he was the original owner and just wanted them gone (truth be told his girl friend needed them gone). He offered them to me for a 6 pack which I forgot while getting lost on the way to his house. He was VERY happy for me just to take them away. He tried to give me some other stuff. Lots of people are offing BIG speakers on the cheap to get them out of there. You find these people on CL around here. I went to buy a Pioneer amp from a guy once and ended up with two amps, a guitar amp and 2 sets of speakers for $15. Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom