Garrard Zero 100 Service Info?

Tin_Courier

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have specs or a service manual on a Garrard Zero 100 TT that they'd be willing to share with a newbie? The turntable is great, and works fine manually, but in automatic mode the table bogs down and slows to a stop, until the motor trips out.

I assume there's a sticky mechanism somewhere, but I'm hesitant to start tearing into it without some diagrams about how it goes back together. It's kind of a maze of levers and linkages underneath. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks everybody,

-Jeff

As far as I can tell, it's just a straight Zero 100, though I'm not sure I would know the difference. I haven't found a serial # plate or exact model #, and I don't know what the differences are. Is the Zero 100S labelled as such on the topside near the controls?

No, unfortunately they only have the user's manual at Vinyl Engine. I was happy to get that, though.

-Jeff

You own one of the most difficult automatic changers to service ever made.

Simply put, in numerous locations grease changes over the years into bubble gum. For starters, the cycling cam and its numerous cam followers get sticky. Under the platter and to the right, there is a mechanical "flip-flop" which also freezes up. As well, the speed selector on the left often seizes up.

The condition of the idler wheel is crucial, and most of the idlers from this series of changers are bad. The rubber has hardened, yielding low torque. Terry's Rubber Rollers rebuilds them.

Look for channels cutting out due to aging of the contacts both in the headshell and in the receptable for same.

Best,

Fred Longworth

Thanks for the info Fred. Really, I'm pretty happy using it as a manual TT, all things equal, I'd prefer to have it fully functioning. Having said that, I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie as far as the mechanisms go.

I will take a look at the idler and contacts, and while getting to the idler if I see any grease points that have gummed up, I'll lube them up.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes - mine says 100S on the plinth. Here's a peek.

Attachments

• ZERO_2.jpg
    ZERO_2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 208
  • ZERO_3.jpg
    ZERO_3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 17
Jeff,

The solution isn't in "lubing them up."

Unfortunately, with old grease, you have to take the old -- frozen or nearly frozen -- part off. Then you have to remove all the original lubricants with a combination of scraping and industrial solvents. Then and only then, you can relubricate with fresh greases and oils.

On the Zero-100 and similar, when you take off the retaining ring off the bearing shaft, often the part won't come off. You can twist and tug and pry. It won't come off. You can use penetrating oil. It won't come off. In many cases the swaging on the bearing shaft has "popped," and the entire bearing rotates, rather than the part rotating on the bearing.

How do you get the part off the shaft?

Heat.

You can use a hot air gun with a focused-air nozzle, or you can take a soldering gun tip and place it on the metal shaft. This usually takes two people: one to apply the heat, the other to pry gently on the stuck part.

Best,

Fred Longworth

Thanks for the info, Fred. Still haven't got into it yet, I have an finicky amp open on my kitchen table right now that I want to finish before I get into another project, but I'm sure your info will come in handy when I get into it.

Thanks much.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom