Cambridge Azur 840C

nuguy

Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I could use some advice on a CD player. I am interested in the Cambridge 840C. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? If so, what are your opinions on sound and reliability? I will be using it with a Behringer DEQ2496, Mcintosh C220 pre and a MC352 for power. My speakers are Tyler Acoustic PD80s. I am only interested in 2 channel audio, no DVDs. Also, what else should I audition in that price range (1250-1500 CDN$)?

Thanks in advance for any input, I appreciate it!

I have their Azur 540D. I would love to have the 840C, but its out of my $$$ range.:sigh: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I have heard the 840C, briefly, but came away with the impression that I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had any need at all.

The best thing about it (next to the sound) is that its DAC is useable with other inputs.

There's also a favorable British review linked on Cambridge's website.

I've heard the 640C V2 at a fellow AK'rs home and it sounded pretty sweet. But his whole system was pretty sweet. JBL 4333A, Sansui Au-D11 MKII, Azur 640C V2. I'd buy one.

RJ

Thanks for your thoughts, I have heard that it is super detailed and can be a bit forward sounding. I believe the c220s tubes will take care of that. Anyway, I think I'll go for it. Thanks again and have a great Christmas!!!

Hey! Welcome to AK, nuguy.

I have a CA system, and I really like it. Good luck with your new piece.

Thanks luvvinvinyl. I picked up the 840c yesterday. I always knew that a different source would change your sound, but not THAT much. If I were blindfolded I'd swear every component and speaker were swapped out... and all for the better.

A new Canadian,Welcome and congrats on a great CDP.Post often cause we Canadians,being of superior minds,have a lot to offer

Alan

Negotiableterms said:
The best thing about it (next to the sound) is that its DAC is useable with other inputs.

That is a very interesting, and somewhat unique feature....

Thanks Alan, being the new guy here I think its best if I didn't respond to your comment. (some American may email me a virus or something)..just kiddin', the States are great as are the people.
The digi inputs are great, I ran my DVD to one and satellite to the other.

nuguy said:
...I picked up the 840c yesterday. I always knew that a different source would change your sound, but not THAT much. If I were blindfolded I'd swear every component and speaker were swapped out... and all for the better.

nuguy, would you be willing to write a more detailed review, and compare to other CDPs/DVDs/etc. on hand?

Don't worry about Alan's Canadian comments. Half the leading lights on this forum are Canadian. Hell, half the comments in this thread are Canadian. Hmmm... what am I doing in this Canadian thread? Should be listening to Diana Krall instead, and she's a much better looking Canadian than you lot, eh? :D

I am not much of a writer but I can elaborate on the differences I noticed. Before the 840c I was using a Harmon Kardon DVD25 as a transport and coverting at the Behringer DEQ2496. For me, the DEQ was/is an excellent tool for 3 reasons. I could correct my room, utilize it's dacs, and tame any nasty harshness inherant in female vocals. The biggest problem was by attenuating frequencies between 1-6khz, naturally, I was losing information from guitars, piano, snares, cymbals etc.
Here is what I have noticed, so far, with the 840c. I can leave my EQ flat, with the exception of a 5-6db attenuation at around 60hz.(room issue) All my harshness is gone, even with cds that I wouldn't listen to before, yet the increase in detail is incredible. The soundstage has widened by a couple feet or so, the separation of instruments has improved dramatically, I have a much larger sweetspot, There is an added fluidity to the midrange, the high frequencies have been extended and seem to dissolve into nothingness around you. (not bad for a horn)
From what I have observed in this hobby systems can be dark and lifeless to super clean and detailed to the point of being clinical with no musicality. I wouldn't want any more detail for fear of sacrificing musicality. For once, I have the best of both worlds. I feel I am balanced firmly...deadcenter.
I am not an audiophile and probably know less than 99% of the people here. The CA840c may or may not work for you, who knows? In my room, with my gear, to my ears it's superb!!!

I'm mad jealous of you. My neighbor showed me a demo version of one a couple months ago and told me it was honestly one of the best players he had heard at any price (and he deals in much more expensive, exotic gear).

nuguy -- you're too humble. You obviously write well and know a lot, please don't hesitate to share in the future.

Welcome Aboard

Welcome as well to a new AK'er from the north!:thmbsp:

opt80 said:
A new Canadian,Welcome and congrats on a great CDP.Post often cause we Canadians,being of superior minds,have a lot to offer

Alan

Why am I feeling light headed and intellectually inferior?:scratch2:

Sorry I guess I'm not afterall, must have been the Molsen Golden Ale I had with dinner. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom