Bookshelf Speakers -- RB-61ii vs RP-160M

charne@sprin

Fell in love with music, then hiked the tech trail
Subscriber
Is the newer RP-160M a significant upgrade from the earlier RB-61ii? Klipsch claims that is the case. I am looking for a pair pf bookshelf speakers -- these appear to meet my requirements. To be driven by a McIntosh MAC6700.

THX!

... so, if I want them closer to a wall, maybe the front point is better?
I would think so. I'm using the RB-61 as surrounds and they sound great, much better than the Axioms I had before. For me, I would want a sub if they were my mains but you might think they are fine as is. A lot of bookshelves only go down to 50 hz.

I had a pair of the RB-61 II as front mains for several years. They were fantastic and the nicest stand mounts I've ever owned. The biggest difference between the two models is the port location as well as the horn. The 160 has the new soft silicon type material and a nice looking plinth on the bottom.
As there are still NOS RB 61 IIs going for some very good discounted prices PLUS the front port, I would recommend them over the 160s. You will be very pleased with them.

Took a while to sort this out -- but decided to go with Focal Aria 906 speakers powered by the MAC6700 in the office. I did audition the Klipsch models referenced above, and preferred the earlier, now discontinued RB-61ii. But in the end, for this use, the Focals won out. My Chorus II's still reign supreme, though, in my #1 system.

Don't forget to use a stand with a wooden olate over it covering all the base if not more of the speaker for best possible using.

Rf-61 had more character and power, 160 is more polite since people said they didn't like previous serie character...

I have the RB-61-II's powered by a rebuilt Marantz 2270. They sound awesome It seems the 160M's are about the same price $325 - $350 range for the pair. I went with the RB-61-II's for 2 reasons (i) I find placement more flexible with the RB's. The built in stand with the 160M's just get in the way. I have my RB's on their side; and (ii) I really like the front facing reflex port with the RB's (the 160M's have a rear facing reflex port). When I did a side-by-side comparison my ears heard more bass (which I like) and it calms down the brightness of the tweeter versus having to go to the eq to adjust the sound. My vote is RB-61-II's, if you can still find them.

Back
Top Bottom